What's new

Recommend a Vetiver Fragrance

So I have decided to change up my fragrance a little bit since pretty much sporting Acqua Di Gio since college in the early 00s. As I have been checking out fragrances everywhere I am particularly drawn to vetiver fragrances. I don't know a ton about fragrances so I am learning. I really liked Terre D'Hermes after it dried a bit and then I quite enjoyed Tom Ford Grey Vetiver right out of the bottle.

I live in coastal South Carolina so I need a fragrance as a go-to that can handle the heat. What would you recommend between these two and what am I not looking at that I should be?

Thanks

So I have decided to change up my fragrance a little bit since pretty much sporting Acqua Di Gio since college in the early 00s. As I have been checking out fragrances everywhere I am particularly drawn to vetiver fragrances. I don't know a ton about fragrances so I am learning. I really liked Terre D'Hermes after it dried a bit and then I quite enjoyed Tom Ford Grey Vetiver right out of the bottle.

I live in coastal South Carolina so I need a fragrance as a go-to that can handle the heat. What would you recommend between these two and what am I not looking at that I should be?

Thanks
Eternity for Men, to my nose, is actually a sweet vetiver fragrance. It's light enough that it may do well in the heat.

I'll be interested in hearing the other suggestions.

It is a total splurge, but I think Floris Vetiver (from their ledger series) is my absolute favorite vetiver. I have tried and even owned Guerlain and Lalique and a few others, but I found them all synthetic and/or heavy-handed. If that is too much money for you, I think Maison Parfumeur Gantier may woo you with Route du Vetyver and Racine. Alternatively, there's always the grande dame of Oriza Legrand Vetyver Bourbon.

My favorite (and it's not particularly close):

IMG_8960.jpg

Tom Ford for warmer weather. It’s got the soapy freshie vibe to me.

I find TDH kind of smells summery but doesn’t really work when it’s warm out, much better in the freezing cold for me! The Parfum is way better if you ask me, way more balanced.

Don’t forget about Guerlain Vetiver, that’s a really good one year round for me, but maybe not for you.

Guerlain Vetiver smells like Lemon Pledge to me. I've tried many times to wear it over the years but just can't get that similarity out of my head.
My top three are:
1. Lalique Encre Noire
2. Creed Original Vetiver
3. Hermes Terre D'Hermes

Of those suggestions, the Encre Noire is amazing. It's top drawer for sure.
The Terre D'Hermes is more citrus on the opening but there is Vetiver in there for sure.

Hard to beat the affordable classic from Guerlain TBH, it's just lovely stuff! Other fairly inexpensive options which haven't been mentioned would be Chanel Platinum Egoiste (nice soapy vetiver/geranium combo in the mid/drydown) and Mugler Cologne, a dumb-reach soapy sort of vetiver-lite. I found the Tom Ford EDP great at first, but it got boring for me really quickly for some reason! Definitely try Encre Noire and its flankers, it's probably the least accessible but one of the most interesting and rewarding after a few wears! Dunhill Icon is more a "fragrance with vetiver" than a vetiver fragrance but still well worth sampling IMO, because it's complex and light enough to wear regularly in weather like yours.

The thing about vetiver is that it can go from very soft and soapy-smelling to very earthy, rough and rooty, so it's an incredibly interesting note to explore in fragrances. Our impressions of it can also really vary because of what notes it's combined with, which also makes it worthy of a thorough exploration! :)

Vetiver fragrances can vary significantly. Do you have some more ideas about what you want it to be like?

Guerlain Vetiver is grassy green and sharp. The quintessential vetiver fragrance.

Lalique Encre Noire is dark, damp, dense and mossy. It was groundbreaking when it came out, but it’s not exactly fresh or “barbershop”.

Serge Lutens Vetiver Oriental is powdery and sweet. I love it, but it’s not for everyone.

DS & Durga Cowboy Grass is well balanced with dry vetiver, smoke and subtle sweetness. This is one of my favourites and would recommend it to anyone interested in vetiver fragrances.

Chanel Sycomore is dark, smoky and sweet, but still light. It’s essentially the Chanel version of Encre Noire.

Terre d’Hermes Eau Intense Vetiver is a vetiver version of TdH. This is super wearable and fresh, and maybe a good option if you already enjoy TdH.

Hopefully that was helpful for you!

Vetiver fragrances can vary significantly. Do you have some more ideas about what you want it to be like?

Guerlain Vetiver is grassy green and sharp. The quintessential vetiver fragrance.

Lalique Encre Noire is dark, damp, dense and mossy. It was groundbreaking when it came out, but it’s not exactly fresh or “barbershop”.

Serge Lutens Vetiver Oriental is powdery and sweet. I love it, but it’s not for everyone.

DS & Durga Cowboy Grass is well balanced with dry vetiver, smoke and subtle sweetness. This is one of my favourites and would recommend it to anyone interested in vetiver fragrances.

Chanel Sycomore is dark, smoky and sweet, but still light. It’s essentially the Chanel version of Encre Noire.

Terre d’Hermes Eau Intense Vetiver is a vetiver version of TdH. This is super wearable and fresh, and maybe a good option if you already enjoy TdH.

Hopefully that was helpful for you!
Thanks. I haven't actually had any of these, just tested them out. I don't really know much about this stuff, I just seemed to me that the things that stuck out to me at the fragrance counter tended to be things that are associated with vetiver.

I think I will pick up a little TDH as that seems to be a baseline. I'm just not sure about it in the hotter months vs Tom Ford Grey Vetiver or something else. I will say the TF didn't excite me as much when I resisted it. Not sure if it was because it was different on the skin or if I had just checked out more stuff or what.

I have been trying to find the TDH Eau Tres Fraiche but I cannot find it anywhere and I haven't heard as much feedback on it.

Thanks. I haven't actually had any of these, just tested them out. I don't really know much about this stuff, I just seemed to me that the things that stuck out to me at the fragrance counter tended to be things that are associated with vetiver.

I think I will pick up a little TDH as that seems to be a baseline. I'm just not sure about it in the hotter months vs Tom Ford Grey Vetiver or something else. I will say the TF didn't excite me as much when I resisted it. Not sure if it was because it was different on the skin or if I had just checked out more stuff or what.

I have been trying to find the TDH Eau Tres Fraiche but I cannot find it anywhere and I haven't heard as much feedback on it.
Terre d’Hermes EDT is quite versatile and can work in warm weather, as can the Eau Intense Vetiver.

The TdH Eau Tres Fraiche is more grapefruity and even more suited to hot weather.

The Terre d’Hermes Parfum is denser with more orange peel and heavy sweetness, so that’s better for winter or night time.

Phoenix Artesian Accoutrements has an excellent, alcohol based splash called, "Vetiver Planet". It took thrre or four tries before I liked it but now, it's in regular rotation.

Top Bottom