What's new

Recommend a tobacco please.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Is Sutliff Ready Rubbed a Kentucky blend?
No. It is straight Burley with a modest cocoa topping that serves to enhance the natural flavor of the Burley. It is a cube cut. It is a Match for Edgeworth. Lane makes a very similar Ready Rubbed but it comes in a 14 oz tin. They are very close in taste. I find the Sutliff has a tad more cocoa while the cubes are a bit larger than the Lane. Not much difference otherwise. Both are superior Burley though. Sutliff is an excellent blender so you may want to order other samples of tobaccos that perk your interest at the same time to make the postage make sense. Smoking pipes has Ready Rubbed in stock where Pipes and Cigars doesn’t. If you are interested in Virginia, Surliff Victoria is a good VaPer and Troost is a good cavendish Virginia forward and Burley in the Dutch style. You can simply search “Sutliff Match” and it should pull up all the Match blends for you to peruse. This is a good way to try different styles of tobaccos without spending an arm and a leg.

Today I tried Peterson Irish Cask. This was a very nice tobacco. I still want to try one more. I have Half & Half coming in. It is so popular I figure it's worth a try.
So far my favorite is Amphora Kentucky Blend. I only smoked it twice so far and it really grabbed me both times. To me it has the most flavor of all I tried.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Today I tried Peterson Irish Cask. This was a very nice tobacco. I still want to try one more. I have Half & Half coming in. It is so popular I figure it's worth a try.
So far my favorite is Amphora Kentucky Blend. I only smoked it twice so far and it really grabbed me both times. To me it has the most flavor of all I tried.
Look back at the Kentucky blends I recommended early on.

Dark Strong Kentucky
Old Dark Fired
Dark Twist
Penny Farthing

All great Kentucky blends.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Sorry, I have no idea what means. I'm new here.

The scent profile from the Lakeland tobaccos can remain in the pipe after the bowl is finished, and impart that flavour on subsequent tobaccos. That's known as ghosting a pipe, as there is a ghost flavour from a previous tobacco. Other tobaccos can do it too, including aromatics and blends with Latakia tobacco. Some folks don't mind it, but others do.

The scent profile from the Lakeland tobaccos can remain in the pipe after the bowl is finished, and impart that flavour on subsequent tobaccos. That's known as ghosting a pipe, as there is a ghost flavour from a previous tobacco. Other tobaccos can do it too, including aromatics and blends with Latakia tobacco. Some folks don't mind it, but others do.

Thanks for the info.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Sorry, I have no idea what means. I'm new here.
Yes. I have pipes dedicated to English because of Latakia. I love it, but it will easily overpower Virginia’s. I have three or four pipes just dedicated to VAs and Burleys. Those seem to interchange without a problem.

I decided the next tobacco I want to try is a Kentucky blend which a couple of you guys pointed out to me,
Mac Baren: HH Old Dark Fired. It's on order already. From what most guys say it has a rich bold flavor.
I have to take it easy for awhile after this one. I'll have eleven different tobaccos on hand. Most I've only used a couple of times.

I'm fairly new to pipe smoking. Right now I have Carter Hall and Velvet tobacco. I enjoy them very much but I would like something with more flavor. Could you recommend a tobacco with a robust flavor? I want to really taste it.
I no longer smoke tobacco, but when I did I settled on Virginia Flakes. Navy cut was my favorite, but I liked every Virginia flake I tried.

But, this is SERIOUSLY a "to each their own sort of thing."

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I'm fairly new to pipe smoking. Right now I have Carter Hall and Velvet tobacco. I enjoy them very much but I would like something with more flavor. Could you recommend a tobacco with a robust flavor? I want to really taste it.
If you want to keep climbing the ladder you are on, Burley, I would recommend Sutliff Ready Rubbed available in bulk at Smoking Pipes. It is a straight Burley lightly topped with Cocoa and molasses. It is bolder than Velvet. It is cube cut and easy to load and is a match for Edgeworth. It happens to be my favorite blend. Load it softly and smoke it gently and it is a beautiful thing indeed.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Or can you recommend a good DE blade for me?

In the end, the only person who can give you a definitive answer is you.

That’s why God created samplers. At least that’s what Mrs. Columbo says about those Whitman’s ones.
You would have to mention chocolates.

I started out with English and smoked it for years and missed out on all those great OTC’s. As often said, mistakes were made.
An old codger friend who helped me on my pipe journey (besides the people here!) used to only smoke Troost. It went away. Then he only smoked Revelation. Then it went away. He tried match blends of both and none of them tripped his trigger. Now he only smokes CD London Squire and CD Three Friars, unless I surprise him with a jar of Pembroke or Cognac from Smoker's Haven. He makes an exception for that.

Life would be easier if I could pick one beer and whiskey to drink. Smoke one or two pipe tobaccos. One or two pens and one or two inks... (I at least have my shaving down to one razor, onebrush, one main soap and few to use on special occasions and one blade!) I just like variety of everything else. Pairings between pipe and spirits, nib width, ink and paper for a letter, or professional work...

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
This is more of a reminiscence than a recommendation. As fall rolls around I think of Rattray's Black Mallory. I love the stuff, but it has pretty much disappeared.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I used to smoke Troost on occasion and recently got Troost Match and it is good. I can’t remember exactly what it tasted like 50 years ago to compare the two - same with Edgeworth but tastes change over the years even with the exact same blends. Sutliff actually improved Walnut in my opinion. In any case, I don’t go from one to another tobacco much any longer. I know what I like and just stay with those few. I’ve tried a few C & D blends and wasn’t impressed. But many love them. There is no one blend for everyone; it’s all about an individual’s tastes. You just have to keep exploring until you find what suits you. When you ask for recommendations, you are going to get many different answers. In the end, you will have to find what you like. There is no way around it.

Top Bottom