What's new

Recommend a tobacco please.

If you are coming off of an OTC blend, and you want a touch more flavor, economically (i.e., without being stuck with a bag of $8/oz craft blend that you don’t like), try a pouch of Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic.

Over the years, I‘ve smoked some of the most expensive and exotic blends. And I still smoke SWRA regularly despite it.

I'm glad you recommended SWRA to me. So far I like it the best of the 6 tobaccos I've tried. It's everything you said it was. Thanks.

I am going to try the English Blend today. If it doesn't REALLY impress me, I'm going to ask for a recommendation of something with a strong flavor. Some of you have mentioned them but have not giving me a name. I want a robust flavor. If I don't like it, so be it. I'll try another.
I gave you three names: HH Old Dark Fired, HH Bold Kentucky and War Horse Bar. I'll add Samuel Gawith Lakeland Dark to that list. I've no idea if you'll like any of them but I guarantee they all have a robust flavour. Some are so robust, you might not want to exhale through your nose too often.

EDIT: As War Horse Bar seems to be a love it or hate it blend and HH ODF is the mildest of the 4 I mentioned, I'd get hold of some SG Lakeland Dark or HH Bold Kentucky for a blend that is 100% guaranteed to be robust.

If you just want a nic kick in the nuts from a codger blend, Five Brothers is worth checking out too. :)

Last edited:
I gave you three names: HH Old Dark Fired, HH Bold Kentucky and War Horse Bar. I'll add Samuel Gawith Lakeland Dark to that list. I've no idea if you'll like any of them but I guarantee they all have a robust flavour. Some are so robust, you might not want to exhale through your nose too often.

EDIT: As War Horse Bar seems to be a love it or hate it blend and HH ODF is the mildest of the 4 I mentioned, I'd get hold of some SG Lakeland Dark or HH Bold Kentucky for a blend that is 100% guaranteed to be robust.

If you just want a nice kick in the nuts from a codger blend, Five Brothers is worth checking out too. :)

Thanks, now I will see if I can find them. So far most of what guys recommend are out of stock.

If you just want a nic kick in the nuts from a codger blend, Five Brothers is worth checking out too. :)

I did find some Mac Baren HH Bold Kentucky. Now I'm afraid it may be a little too strong for me.
Thanks again for the suggestion.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
So far I like Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic the best. What category or type of tobacco would you say it is?

SWRA is barely an aromatic at all, as that marketing term has dramatically evolved in more recent years.

Compared to current aromatics, SWRA is very lightly topped. And it’s topped with more natural liquor elements than most modern aromatics are. And compared to other OTC standards, it is a more balanced ribbon-cut mix of Burley and VA. A little sweeter and tastier than the usual codgers, with a slight liquor flavor to offset that sweetness, but not enough added to overpower the prevailing natural tobacco. Not everyone likes it. But at the per oz. tub price, it is probably the very best value in pipe tobacco out there if you do.

So in today’s environment, I would call it a bit of an outlier hybrid between the two camps.

Most modern aros tend to be a bit overpowering to my tastes. To me, often artificial tasting. If I wanted vanilla, I would more likely grab a cup of Blue Bunny. Fine on occasion, but not something I could smoke on a regular, near-daily basis.

Others love heavy aromatics and Cavindish blends every day. And there’s nothing wrong with that, either.

SWRA is a very old formula, and is from a simpler era where any topping might have been called an aromatic. So it was. But despite its name, it’s still mainly a blend falling in the non-aromatic genre, which is why I suggested it.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!

They're all strong tobacco flavours, but I get the impression he wants to taste something other than tobacco i.e. when he says stronger flavour he actually wants a stronger added flavour rather than stronger tobacco flavour, hence his success with aromatics, and the Lakeland suggestions earlier. Non-gloopy aromatics might be more what he's after a clear topping, but where the tobacco still comes through. Peterson Irish Cask perhaps? Glen Piper? Something with a little added vanilla or fruit to differentiate it from a straight tobacco blend, but maybe not to Firedance or Celtic Talisman level?

They're all strong tobacco flavours, but I get the impression he wants to taste something other than tobacco i.e. when he says stronger flavour he actually wants a stronger added flavour rather than stronger tobacco flavour, hence his success with aromatics, and the Lakeland suggestions earlier. Non-gloopy aromatics might be more what he's after a clear topping, but where the tobacco still comes through. Peterson Irish Cask perhaps? Glen Piper? Something with a little added vanilla or fruit to differentiate it from a straight tobacco blend, but maybe not to Firedance or Celtic Talisman level?

I think I am going to give the Peterson Irish Cask a try. Sounds like what I am looking for.

In that case, ignore all my suggestions! The word robust threw me off I think.

They're all strong tobacco flavours, but I get the impression he wants to taste something other than tobacco i.e. when he says stronger flavour he actually wants a stronger added flavour rather than stronger tobacco flavour, hence his success with aromatics, and the Lakeland suggestions earlier. Non-gloopy aromatics might be more what he's after a clear topping, but where the tobacco still comes through. Peterson Irish Cask perhaps? Glen Piper?

Why didn't you suggest this sooner? It does seem like what I want.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Why didn't you suggest this sooner? It does seem like what I want.

Because you kept saying stronger flavour, and everyone thought you meant stronger tobacco flavour. The flavour you are referring to is the casing or the topping, and it took a while to decipher your question.

I was trying to figure out what flavour you wanted to be stronger before, hence this post

To expand on the above, Lakelands have an added topping, sometimes floral, or a mixture of fruit and floral. However, it depends what you want the strong/predominant flavour to be.

Smokey? Something with Latakia
Spicey? Something with Perique
"Heavy" tobacco taste? Something with Dark Fired/Kentucky
A bit perfumey? Maybe Turkish/oriental
Fruity? Floral? Liqueur? A myriad of options awaits

Samples will be your guide as to what you want more of, and equally importantly, less of.

Once I'd sussed out that you weren't talking about wanting the tobacco flavour to be stronger, then it was a matter of figuring out what you did want.

Because you kept saying stronger flavour, and everyone thought you meant stronger tobacco flavour. The flavour you are referring to is the casing or the topping, and it took a while to decipher your question.

I was trying to figure out what flavour you wanted to be stronger before, hence this post.

Once I'd sussed out that you weren't talking about wanting the tobacco flavour to be stronger, then it was a matter of figuring out what you did want.

The problem was I didn't know enough about tobaccos to know what I wanted myself. You did finally hit the nail on the head. Thanks again. I ordered some Peterson Irish Cask.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The problem was I didn't know enough about tobaccos to know what I wanted myself. You did finally hit the nail on the head. Thanks again. I ordered some Peterson Irish Cask.

Splendid! If that works well for you, there are many other suggestions we can make along the same lines, now that we're all sat on the same bus, so to speak.

As of now I have tried 8 tobaccos. The Amphora sampler (which has 5 types), Carter Hall, Velvet, and SWRA.
I kind of taken a liking to Amphora Kentucky blend. I find it has a nice taste. I only have one complaint with it. It is kind of hard to load my pipe because the tobacco is so long and kind of stiff. But it's worth the effort. I'm sure with practice I'll get use to it.
I still have 2 more tobaccos on the way, Peterson Irish Cask and plain old Half & Half. I had to try the Half & Half because it seems to be so popular. That's going to be it for awhile. I don't plan on trying 106 different tobaccos. The Peterson will tell me a lot after I try that. I have high hopes for it.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
As of now I have tried 8 tobaccos. The Amphora sampler (which has 5 types), Carter Hall, Velvet, and SWRA.
I kind of taken a liking to Amphora Kentucky blend. I find it has a nice taste. I only have one complaint with it. It is kind of hard to load my pipe because the tobacco is so long and kind of stiff. But it's worth the effort. I'm sure with practice I'll get use to it.
I still have 2 more tobaccos on the way, Peterson Irish Cask and plain old Half & Half. I had to try the Half & Half because it seems to be so popular. That's going to be it for awhile. I don't plan on trying 106 different tobaccos. The Peterson will tell me a lot after I try that. I have high hopes for it.
Give Sutliff Ready Rubbed a try. It’s available on Smoking Pipes in bulk. Still on back order at P&C. It is cube cut and easy to load and a better Burley than SWR in my opinion. I rarely smoke anything else Took me 50 years to find it and glad I finally did.

Give Sutliff Ready Rubbed a try. It’s available on Smoking Pipes in bulk. Still on back order at P&C. It is cube cut and easy to load and a better Burley than SWR in my opinion. I rarely smoke anything else Took me 50 years to find it and glad I finally did.

I'm not ready to buy a large amount yet.

Top Bottom