What's new

Recommend a tobacco please.

For more flavor from Velvet, pack it loosely and sip it. If packed too tightly or puffed too hard, it is just a big nothing. When packed gingerly, it has a wonderful mild flavor and aftertaste. It took me
some time to figure it out. The “codger” blends were cut as they are so you could just scoop the tobacco out of the pouch or tin just tapping the pipe to settle the tobacco in the bowl put a pinch on top to finish the fill and light. A more flavorful readily available blend is Half and Half - pack the same way as mentioned above. Also, you might give Sir Walter Raleigh a try when you see it. These old blends are perfect for learning to smoke a pipe. After 50 years of piping, they are the blends I most regularly smoke.

I haven't seen those brands mentioned in a long time. May have to try them someday.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
If you are coming off of an OTC blend, and you want a touch more flavor, economically (i.e., without being stuck with a bag of $8/oz craft blend that you don’t like), try a pouch of Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic.

Inexpensive, lights and smokes easily, tastes a little more interesting, won’t soggy up your pipe, and the ladies love the room note. It’s actually a decent VA/Burley with a very light three liquor topping of good quality.

Over the years, I‘ve smoked some of the most expensive and exotic blends. And I still smoke SWRA regularly despite it.

If you don’t like it, you’re only out $3-4. And if you do, a big tub of it is under $30 if you shop around.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
If you are coming off of an OTC blend, and you want a touch more flavor, economically (i.e., without being stuck with a bag of $8/oz craft blend that you don’t like), try a pouch of Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic.

Inexpensive, lights and smokes easily, tastes a little more interesting, won’t soggy up your pipe, and the ladies love the room note. It’s actually a decent VA/Burley with a very light three liquor topping of good quality.

Over the years, I‘ve smoked some of the most expensive and exotic blends. And I still smoke SWRA regularly despite it.

If you don’t like it, you’re only out $3-4. And if you do, a big tub of it is under $30 if you shop around.
I'll second this suggestion. I smoked some SWRA just last evening and decided to smoke through my current stock of it before moving on just to stick with a blend for a bit. The flavor is nice and the cut is excellent. Tough to go wrong with it and the flavor isn't a smack you in the face aromatic. In fact, I'd put it along the same lines as any other OTC when it comes to moisture content out of the pouch. For the price and availability its a great choice.

I'll second this suggestion. I smoked some SWRA just last evening and decided to smoke through my current stock of it before moving on just to stick with a blend for a bit. The flavor is nice and the cut is excellent. Tough to go wrong with it and the flavor isn't a smack you in the face aromatic. In fact, I'd put it along the same lines as any other OTC when it comes to moisture content out of the pouch. For the price and availability its a great choice.

I hate to sound stupid but what is OTC?

I ordered some Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic. I've heard a lot of good stuff about it. I also have the Amphora Sampler coming in. That will keep me busy for awhile. Now I can't wait for it all to get here.

Of the ones I’ve tried so far, I’d say that HH Bold Kentucky has got a lot of flavour and Old Dark Fired isn’t far behind it. War Horse Bar is full of flavour too but I know some people aren’t keen on it.

brandaves

It's all fun and games until you discover that Latakia exists. Then it gets very real.
The Amphora sampler will have a nice jumping off point for Latakia. It is a unique and strong flavor for some. I won't say its a love it or hate it flavor but it does have its fans and haters...
Of the ones I’ve tried so far, I’d say that HH Bold Kentucky has got a lot of flavour and Old Dark Fired isn’t far behind it. War Horse Bar is full of flavour too but I know some people aren’t keen on it.
Again, the Amphora Sampler ought to scratch the Kentucky leaf fix enough to find out if you like the stuff anyway.

I'd recommend taking your time going through the samples. Its really easy to buy a bunch of stuff you may not like at the outset.

The Amphora sampler will have a nice jumping off point for Latakia. It is a unique and strong flavor for some. I won't say its a love it or hate it flavor but it does have its fans and haters...

Again, the Amphora Sampler ought to scratch the Kentucky leaf fix enough to find out if you like the stuff anyway.

I'd recommend taking your time going through the samples. Its really easy to buy a bunch of stuff you may not like at the outset.
I guess Kentucky is one of my favourites then. I hadn't really made the connection until now. :)

brandaves

I guess Kentucky is one of my favourites then. I hadn't really made the connection until now. :)
All the tobacco blends you mentioned are Kentucky leaf forward. It's a great tobacco and one of my favorites also. If you like shag cut you should try G.L. Pease Penny Farthing, it's a good one.

All the tobacco blends you mentioned are Kentucky leaf forward. It's a great tobacco and one of my favorites also. If you like shag cut you should try G.L. Pease Penny Farthing, it's a good one.
Thanks. I'll see if I can find that here. I do have a tin of Cumberland on my shelf that I've yet to open yet. I've got 4 tins I've not tried yet, which have been sitting here for a while. Cumberland, Bayou Morning Flake, University Flake and Balkan Sasieni. I got a little overwhelmed with all my open pouches and tins so I made myself start finishing some before I opened any more.

brandaves

Thanks. I'll see if I can find that here. I do have a tin of Cumberland on my shelf that I've yet to open yet. I've got 4 tins I've not tried yet, which have been sitting here for a while. Cumberland, Bayou Morning Flake, University Flake and Balkan Sasieni. I got a little overwhelmed with all my open pouches and tins so I made myself start finishing some before I opened any more.
Bayou Morning is one of my favorite tobacco blends for an early morning smoke. I haven't had the flake but I can't imagine it's much different. I'm in a place now where I'm smoking my opened tobaccos up and letting anything I acquire sit. I have WAY to many opened blends at the moment. As of now I'm working my way through SWRA. Not sure what I'll move onto once it's done but my plan is to smoke through what I start without opening something new. It's been interesting spending so much time on one blend. You can really dial in your bowls and get the most out of a particular blend when you do that.

Bayou Morning is one of my favorite tobacco blends for an early morning smoke. I haven't had the flake but I can't imagine it's much different. I'm in a place now where I'm smoking my opened tobaccos up and letting anything I acquire sit. I have WAY to many opened blends at the moment. As of now I'm working my way through SWRA. Not sure what I'll move onto once it's done but my plan is to smoke through what I start without opening something new. It's been interesting spending so much time on one blend. You can really dial in your bowls and get the most out of a particular blend when you do that.
The trouble for me has been that I get bored of having to smoke the same blend all the time. I love Nightcap for instance, but I found myself starting to go off it when I was finishing a tin of that and something else last week. But after blasting through most of a tin of Hyde Park as a treat to myself, I was able to go back to the Nightcap and really enjoy it. I have managed to get down to 4 or 5 open tins/pouches now though, so I might open something new tonight. :pipe:

brandaves

Yea I just looked at my cellar on tobaccocellar and I currently have 76 open containers. Way too many. Way, Way, Way too many. Granted, some of them are marked open and haven't been smoked in months but they aren't cellared for long term aging. I'd like to get that number down to something like 20 tops. It's going to take me a long long time to smoke down to that number which is fine. It's sort of like trying to have a baby, the "work" is the fun part 🤣

Yea I just looked at my cellar on tobaccocellar and I currently have 76 open containers. Way too many. Way, Way, Way too many. Granted, some of them are marked open and haven't been smoked in months but they aren't cellared for long term aging. I'd like to get that number down to something like 20 tops. It's going to take me a long long time to smoke down to that number which is fine. It's sort of like trying to have a baby, the "work" is the fun part 🤣
76! And I was worried about 8 or 9. You've made me feel better anyway :). If I got hold of some Mason jars I could solve my problem by jarring up any that I don't get through too quickly. It's having them open and not properly cellared that twists my mind. On the other hand, with the humidity in Thailand, maybe I'm worrying about nothing. I doubt I'll have any problems with dry tobacco.

brandaves

76! And I was worried about 8 or 9. You've made me feel better anyway :). If I got hold of some Mason jars I could solve my problem by jarring up any that I don't get through too quickly. It's having them open and not properly cellared that twists my mind. On the other hand, with the humidity in Thailand, maybe I'm worrying about nothing. I doubt I'll have any problems with dry tobacco.
Mold might be your bigger concern. A ship I was on pulled into Thailand several times a few years back, beautiful country. I had a Mossy Oak three piece suit tailored with blaze orange lining...a tragedy but a fun one :lol:

Top Bottom