What's new

Recommend a Shavemac Brush

Got a ~10-year-old Shavemac brush that I'd like to swap out for a new model.

Considering configuring a custom brush.

Budget: ~$160.

Here is what I have now (note that it's wet):

shavemac.jpg

About $120 new.

What I like: round handle (feels good to hold). Bulb head works good. It's silver tip. Don't know anything else about it. I didn't put much thought into the purchase of it at the time. Don't have the receipt with details.

What I do not like: the area in the red rectangle gets gunked up and is more difficult to clean fully.

I really like this handle shape #386 as it looks very comfortable and easy to keep clean:

Screenshot 2022-02-28 202033.jpg

I am so totally lost with the following:
  1. Hair type (silvertip, 2band, D01, D01 2 band, pure badger, etc.)
  2. Extra loft
  3. Knot shape, size, hair length
No clue as to what I should get.

Why can't I edit my original post?

Checking out the Wiki:

1) Shape: don't see any benefit in switching from my bulb shape to fan. I use Taylor of Old Bond Street and it lathers great with what I have.

2) Loft: can increase by 2mm so the brush is softer, or decrease by 2 or 4mm so it's stronger. Probably best to stick with the default?

3) Brush size: probably best to stick with medium. My face/hands are larger, but not enormous (so 30mm, for example would be overkill). Plus, the bigger the size in mm, the bigger the expense. Perhaps 22mm or 24mm. Wish I knew what I have now. Going from 20mm to 30mm doubles the price.

4) Badger type: perhaps go with Silvertip D01 2-Band because it's the most expensive - it's the strongest and most dense = better lather?? But, is it too strong and dense? Perhaps it's better to go a step down to the Silvertip 2-Band, which is very gentle and strong.

Maybe:

Silvertip 2-Band
Knot Shape: Bulb
Knot Size: 24mm
Hair Length: 52mm
Extra Loft: No
Handle Color: #257 Blue Marble
Handle Shape: #386
Bottom Logo, Text Color White

Can't edit my second post, either. Can we get the admins to change this?

Here's another pic of my current brush in dry form:

shavemac 2.jpg

I've never tried the D01 but heard it's pretty stiff. So unless you like lots of backbone I'd stay away from it. I'd go with the two band. What you have now looks like 24 mm if I had to guess.

Anyone else?

Thoughts on this for me?

Silvertip 2-Band
Knot Shape: Bulb
Knot Size: 24mm
Hair Length: 52mm
Extra Loft: No
Handle Color: #257 Blue Marble
Handle Shape: #386
Bottom Logo, Text Color White

As far as I can recall that is very close to the spec of one of the three Shavemac brushes I have at the moment, and it produces excellent results while also being very nice to use. It's a well made and consistent brush, not extreme in any way, and I very much doubt you'd be disappointed if you got it.

I believe my Beehive Bulb in 2Band is 24/50. An additional 2mm will reduce the backbone so it will splay easier and bloom wider. D01 2Band is indeed stiff and scrubby (Jade 24mm Bulb).

View attachment 1418637

I always loved the look of the Eagle handle (far right). but since Simpson's initial release was only in pure badger I passed. Looking back, I probably should have bought one and had it reknotted. Ordering a Shavemac had too many variables, so almost 2 years ago I had Rudy replace a 3-band Rooney knot in a T&H (Rooney) 1/2 handle with a 2-band Shavemac. I left it to Rudy to choose the knot and loft. It's probably my best brush, even over my 3 Thaters.with 4125 handles. My other favorite handle is a Simpson Rover. I was tempted to replace the original 3-band knot, but changed my mind.

@njpaddy About a decade ago Simpson Eagle brushes were available in Best off-the-shelf. Now I think you can order only custom. They're great brushes, my Eagle 3 in Best is one of my favorites and was one of my first true high-end brushes purchased new. Perhaps, if you post a WTB in the BST someone will be willing to part with one. I think the price for the Eagle 3 in Best was ~$100 when I purchased it.

1646411864228.png

@njpaddy About a decade ago Simpson Eagle brushes were available in Best off-the-shelf. Now I think you can order only custom. They're great brushes, my Eagle 3 in Best is one of my favorites and was one of my first true high-end brushes purchased new. Perhaps, if you post a WTB in the BST someone will be willing to part with one. I think the price for the Eagle 3 in Best was ~$100 when I purchased it.
Nice brush. That may have been around the time I bought my Simpson Rover in Best. My brush buying (AD) days are long over. I still own more brushes than I can use, but I still like that handle design.

Why not keep the handle and get a new knot from Shavemac? I believe Rudyborders some knots from Shavemac and he can help you out. I have both fan and bulb in 24mm 2-band and I prefer the fan as I don’t like too much backbone. Shavemac is great and the quality is amazing.

Why not keep the handle and get a new knot from Shavemac? I believe Rudyborders some knots from Shavemac and he can help you out.

I don't think I would replace the Eagle knot. I once considered having Rudy replace my 22mm Rover Best knot. I hadn't used it in several years, because it always shed a few hairs every shave, and I got spoiled by Thater 2-bands. Fortunately, when I took it out of my basement box, and began using it again, it no longer shed. It made me remember how much I always liked a Simpson Best knot. I've had at least 8 Simpson Best 3-bands over the years. Instead, I had Rudy replace a Rooney 24mm knot in my 1/2. While I love my Rudy/Rooney brush, and my Thater 2-bands, my 3-band Simpson Rover is still in regular rotation.

Why not keep the handle and get a new knot from Shavemac? I believe Rudyborders some knots from Shavemac and he can help you out. I have both fan and bulb in 24mm 2-band and I prefer the fan as I don’t like too much backbone. Shavemac is great and the quality is amazing.
This would also be my suggestion. I am only familiar with the D01 2 bands though and not the others. The D01 takes time to open up and yield, but when it does, it is exceptional and if you want more bloom and less backbone, you can have them add 2mm.

May I ask why it has to be a Shavemac? Just asking because it limits your options. For instance Paladin might have something that would interest you.

Top Bottom