What's new

Recommend a Rooney?

Hello all,

My father's birthday is coming up, and I'd like to get him a new shaving brush. I think he's partial to Rooneys, but he knows them mostly by reputation; as far as I know, he's never owned a Rooney. I'd welcome input from anyone who can recommend a good brush. He prefers badger to boar and soaps to creams. He's currently using a cheap Tweezerman badger brush which I gave him when I reintroduced him to wetshaving a few years ago (my father is turning 88 and has been shaving for about 75 years). I'd like to spend no more than $60, and am currently thinking of getting him a Rooney pure badger brush from Classic Shaving (here's a link to their page for this brush: http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/2053630/2184471.htm). It doesn't necessarily have to be a Rooney, so if you know of a brush that's as good or better in the same price range, I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited:
That seems high for a Pure Badger brush. You can get some Simpsons in Best Badger for that price.
Vintage Blades has Rooney Super Badger brushes for just a little more than that.

I think that it's great that you buying such a nice gift for Dad.

Rooney has several grades of hair, with the super grade being the softest. I don't have direct knowledge of the Rooney pure badger, I do have a Truefitt & Hill branded Rooney 3/2 in super and the build quality is great.

For $60 you are in the price range of a Simpson Colonel or Commodore X2 at West Coast shaving using the B&B discount.

If Dad bowl lathers, a Vulflix 2234 would run you about $55 at WCS.

Good Luck.

Thanks, guys. I don't think I can go wrong with any of those recommendations. I'm leaning toward spending a bit more for a better brush.

I know it's a bit more, but the 3/1 in Super from VB is an excellent brush.

+1. It's an excellent brush. The loft on the ones at Vintage Blades are shorter by 1mm. Jim orders them that way so they have good backbone.

Rooney or not, Pure Badger is really scratchy stuff. A 3/1 in Super is about $75 and is phenomenally better.

Another vote for the 3/1 in Super.The quality can't be surpassed by any other manufacture and if your Dad desires one I would strongly recommend you spent a little more and buy him one. Rooney's reputation is well deserved and I'm sure he would be especially please to receive one from his son. Wish him Happy Birthday from all of us.

And yet another vote for 3/1 super. It's still one of my favorites when I'm in the mood for badger, great backbone, soft but not too soft and a handle comfortable enough for face lathering yet long enough to prevent banging your knuckles if you decide to bowl lather.

Rooney is great. I'd advise getting a Truefit & Hill brush using our discount code because Rooney makes their brushes and they are extra stuffed! Pay a fraction and get the same brush, win-win.

I use a 3/1 Rooney with the coral handle and a T & H 3/1 (small green) and they are one of the best brushes I have. Spend the extra money! To look at it another way. When your father is done using it, it will be your turn. When you are done it will be passed on to your family. A nice legacy.

Rooney is great. I'd advise getting a Truefit & Hill brush using our discount code because Rooney makes their brushes and they are extra stuffed! Pay a fraction and get the same brush, win-win.

+1 to this...

I have some very nice high end brushes (from most of the talked about manufacturers on the shaving forums and my T&H (i.e. Rooney) has a spot in my 7 brush rotation.

Very nice gift idea!

I have the Rooney 3/1 in pure, best, and silvertip (the modern equivalent of "super silvertip"), and I like them all a lot.

The pure is a bit scritchy (in fact, it has just about the perfect scritch for me when I want scritchy exfoliation), but the best is in a whole different league and is a superb brush for the price - I like its hair better than Simpson's best.

The silvertip is the best of the lot, but it's not a long way ahead of the best - for best bang-for-the-buck, the best is, well, best :biggrin1:

Guys, thank you so much for all of your advice. Since so many of you recommended the Rooney 3/1 in super silvertip, that's what I went with. I'm sure my Dad will be pleased with it (and I doubt that he'll miss his Tweezerman brush once he experiences the Rooney).

My best to all of you,

Mike

Last edited:
Top Bottom