What's new

recommend a dress coat

that would look good with a suit. since winter is upon us I figured I might as well invest in a wool coat of some sort. not sure what I should be looking for but ideally the coat should look good with a suit. I don't want a trench coat or a pea coat but something in-between. am I correct in assuming that when wearing a wool coat it's unnecessary to weat the suit coat underneath?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I have something for Aquascutum... I have a vintage one and try to find another one off ebay. Love it!

Currently have one of these that I wear with suits all the time and get compliments on it...

My grandfather passed his London Fog down to me. Looks similar to that, but I think its waxed cotton. Very classy looking, and clearly well built enough to last half a century at least.

proxy.php

I have to say that I quite like this CK coat from Macy's.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
that would look good with a suit. since winter is upon us I figured I might as well invest in a wool coat of some sort. not sure what I should be looking for but ideally the coat should look good with a suit. I don't want a trench coat or a pea coat but something in-between. am I correct in assuming that when wearing a wool coat it's unnecessary to weat the suit coat underneath?

Well, a coat designed to be worn over a suit will of course have more room (ie to fit the suit jacket) compared to one designed to be worn without a suit. So be sure to take that into consideration.

Check out the Ralph Lauren coats here ... http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/...rringbone-Top-Coat-Wool-Cashmere-For-Men.html

I'd suggest a grey wool top coat to go with a suit. You'll be presentable anywhere, and always a refined, finished look.

Although you won't NEED to wear the suit coat underneath your topcoat while you're wearing your topcoat, you'd better not be planning to unbutton the topcoat or take it off in public if you're not wearing your suit coat.

Jos. A Bank (they have several stores in your area and have a website [josabank.com]) has dress topcoats on sale right now. Their present sale price on wool coats is $179, but I've seen them sell topcoats for as little as $150 in late winter.

My experience is that JAB has good merchandise, they stand behind what they sell, and their sales prices are typically excellent.

As far as color, you'll find that the dark blue, camel/beige, or black colors will be the most versatile.

Good luck!

proxy.php

bought this London Fog wool coat from Herberger's today for $80. actually, it was FREE because I had a bunch of gift cards left over from my wedding, but it was marked down from $200 to $99 + a 20% discount. I decided to go with the London Fog coat because it just felt like it was better made than the CK coat I saw at Macy's, and it was less than half the price.

It all depends on what kind of impression you're looking for, but I like it when someone has a different style of overcoat from the suit they're wearing. I love the English psuedo-60s retro style, with sharp lines, quite waisted and short on the arms, just below the knee on the skirt,(been trying to find a decent pic of one on Google images and can't). This works well if this is in a lighter colour than the suit, e.g. light caramel herringbone wool over a navy suit. Its a very confident look which if you can pull off will definitely sort you out from the Brooks Bros. crowd and doesnt' need to cost a any more.

No I picked it off Google Images cos of the style. I think its from Savile Row so if it is bespoke it'll take at least 2 fittings, probly a couple of months to make and cost upwards of £3,000! But Slaters used to do a nice one in a similar style; 100% new wool, for only £100. It was an English MOD brand I can't remember the name of, which has a red,white and blue target as the logo. Slaters' site only shows a tiny part of their stock so no joy there. If you're savvy and in the right place you really don't have to spend too much to look great. I think a lot of guys just go soomewhere like (in the UK) John Lewis, where everything's standard issue modern office-wear, but cos its well-known brands and very expensive, they assume they're doing the right thing. Gant's a classic example of a "he didn't know any better" brand. I don't know about in the States, but in John Lewis you're exected to pay many hundreds of pounds for some extremely unimaginative and lack-lustre clothing, which will probably have to be altered....that's another nightmare too, finding a good seamer...

Top Bottom