What's new

Recommend a budget Stainless Steel head & handle ?

Dear Fellow Shavers,

I finally want to take the plunge in to real shaving as a newbie with quite sensitive skin. I don’t have a beard, so it’s to remove days of stubble and whiskers.
1) I‘m looking for the stainless steel equivalent of a Muhle R89 head (closed comb), and to combine this with a razorock handle - is this a good combination of balance and longevity ?
2) Or should I just spend the money on a Muhle Rocca Safety Razor ? - does this have the identical head to Edwin Hager / Muhle R89?.
3) As a short term measure - have splashed out on a Gillette Tech Safety Razor ( made in England ), for £14 pounds and some Voskhod razors (using this combo for the first time).
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks guys

I would say have a look at a thread called "worlds best mild razor," but it gets into the expensive end of the pool. He has sensitive skin and there is a lot of good posts there. If you are set on a Razorock handle, there is no reason not to just buy one of their razors. For you, I would recommend The Wet Shaving Club Winning Razor. Or the 'Merica if you can spend a little more. They are made by Yates, which would be an even better choice, but might be too much for you.

And welcome to B&B!

Well, if you're going Razorock handle, perhaps you can go 100% Razorock and try one of their outstanding SS heads, like the Lupo or Gamechanger. Not exactly like the R89, but a really good razor. The Rocca is not exactly like the R89, but I actually find it milder and much smoother. It's an excellent razor (just finished 4 days of using the Rocca today). The closest to the R89 (IMO) in stainless is the Occam's Razor DE, which I don't know if they make anymore.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
If you are looking at Razorock stainless steel razors they have a aggression chart that might help you. DE 89 is mild razor from my understanding and a good one. If you want a little more blade feel just pop in a Kai SS blade because they are little wider and will give you a pop in performance possibly.
I have the RR Game changer.84 it's OK and I really enjoy the RR Lupo.72.
Here is the Razorock chart that might help, recently most updated but it still a general reference and some folks will have their opinions.
There are a lot of good manufactured stainless steel razors out there and it can get confusing for some possibly.
RazoRock_Razor_Scale_-_Revised_-_Stacked_-_Final_1024x1024 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Another for the razorock GC 68 :) for the money super nice build quality and a great razor :)
One reason if you want to get a more aggressive razor you can get the 84 plate or the 68 comb even a 84 comb :) if you get into combs etc... think the plates are about $35 US but great way to expand a great razor again the build of the RR in stainless are very nice and IMHO one of the best bang for buck razors out there

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I would get a RazoRock Game Changer .84 Safety Bar with the Super Knurl handle.

I like this head more than Rocca and R89/DE89 both.

If you don't want to buy from Italian Barber/RazoRock, Alpha Shaving and their Outlaw razor are amazing. It's more aggressive though.

OR if you can swing it get the 68 and 84 so you can do some testing what you like and have something to come back to in a month and 2 months

I bought a Razorock Lupo .72 off of the BST here for $50 or $55, with shipping. There were actually two different listings, so I got to choose between two different handles. I've seen lots of cool, SS razors there.

If you don't mind used razors, I'd say it's worth the wait to see if one shows up again!

I'd like to add the Rockwell 6s to the discussion. Ok in absolute numbers it's maybe not that" budget", but with six baseplates it's versatile, so you can use a baseplate or try different ones, as your skills grow.
It's kinda foolproof and works fine with most blades.
IMHO an excellent solution for newbies.
The Razorock Gamechanger is, in my opinion, a good razor but not that easy for beginners, but I only know the 84.

If you can change your mind, apart from stainless steel there's the brass made Pearl Flexi adjustable for about 70€ which became my favourite. Maybe it's worth a look at the threads here.

"Budget stainless steel" is an oxymoron, like "affordable caviar".
Even some of the aluminium razors are a bit expensive. The budget ones are brass and ZAMAK.

You can't beat the RazoRock offerings. I have a GC .68 & also own the .84 & .68 OC head. Also add the RR Lupo to this mix. Having said that even since I traded my RR Aluminum Lupo for a Zamak Merkur 33C my RR GC just gather dust. My Merkur 33C, 34C & newly acquired 30C have become my favorite every day razors.

Also some people on this forum love their Winning Razor.

Thank you guys for your opinions - really helpful.
I can now stretch the budget to about £100 Sterling.
This has opened the door to new options but giving me a bigger headache. I’ve narrowed it down to these two choices:
The Executive Shaving Company ‘Outlaw’ Safety Razor v The RazoRock Gamechanger 68
1) Which one would you pick between the two and why ?.
2) Is the head of the Gamechanger 68 more manoeuvrable in terms of access, and does it have a greater efficiency and angle of usage than the Muhle R89/ Edwin Jagger DE89 head ?.
Are there any other razors that I should consider with increased budget?.
Thanks

Questions:

Do you own a DE89 (from whatever maker)?

If yes, what makes you want to change?

If no, why not try one in Zamak, rather than stainless steel?

. Charles
Charles, I don’t own one - but have read that the R89 head is up there in regards to a more forgiving angle of usage and access to tight spots.
I could try in Zamak, but if I’m going to splash the cash only once...

Top Bottom