What's new

Recommend a blend of essential oils for adding to Witch Hazel

Title says it all. I use Dickinson's witch hazel and it has 14% alcohol (a good think imho). I have been using about three drops each of peppermint, lavender and eucalyptus to kill the hotdog water scent and give a bit of aftershave character. I want to try something else, maybe tobacco scented if possible.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

What kind of tobacco? Are you talking about green tobacco flower, cigars, pipe tobacco? Do you like vanilla mixed with the tobacco?

What kind of tobacco? Are you talking about green tobacco flower, cigars, pipe tobacco? Do you like vanilla mixed with the tobacco?
I think pipe tobacco. Yes vanilla mixed with it. One of the best scents I ever came across is Santa Maria Del Fiore which describes its scent as: Tabacco Toscano Colonia; think Toscano cigar with hints of vanilla, amber and a backdrop of eucalyptus and menthol.

I think it would be hard to get that type scent with essential oils, but you could add a few drops of one of these splashes to your witch hazel. I've done it myself because the SMdF splash is pretty strong straight from the bottle. SMdF splash is like Tobaco Tuscano without eucalyptus or much menthol. Puros is like two kinds of cured tobacco mixed together. I got the SMdF splash for around $8 on sale last year.

rr-smdf-splash.jpegrr-puros.jpeg

Maybe Tea tree oil would be a good choice.
I add cyrstal mentol pieces in some aftershaves. That makes them better for me.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Maybe Tea tree oil would be a good choice.
I add cyrstal mentol pieces in some aftershaves. That makes them better for me.

WH with Tea Tree Oil was the only aftershave I used for years.

You just have to shake it right before use, as the oil will separate and float on top.

One hard shake and you got a fixed face.

AA

you can find pipe tobacco fragrance oils quite easily.
really strong, only a fraction of a drop is all you'll need or want.

are fragrance oils and essential oils the same thing?
Not exactly the same. Essential oils are extracted from one type of plant, usually using steam distillation or a solvent such as alcohol. For example, lavender oil, cedar oil, tea tree oil.

Fragrance oils contain a mixture of aroma chemicals which are blended. Some of these may be synthetic chemicals. For example, "our version" of Old Spice.

I have 3 WH with different mixtures...
WH Lemon with Tea Tree, Lemon and Peppermint EO
WH Lemon with Tea Tree, Lemon, Lime EO and Clubman VIBR
WH Cucumber with Tea Tree, Lavender and Peppermint

All are great postshave...

did you blend them all at home?
Hi, yes I do. I just buy different bottles of 10ml EO and just mix in a glass container....shaken prior to use...I make small amount because I am afraid the mixture may turn bad...it'll turn cloudy when shaken and when not in use...can see the oil layer on surface..
I use it in place of alum, which tends to irritate my neck...
With the peppermint....you can bet I get the coolest effect...hahahaha...I am in the tropics afterall...

Hi, yes I do. I just buy different bottles of 10ml EO and just mix in a glass container....shaken prior to use...I make small amount because I am afraid the mixture may turn bad...it'll turn cloudy when shaken and when not in use...can see the oil layer on surface..
I use it in place of alum, which tends to irritate my neck...
With the peppermint....you can bet I get the coolest effect...hahahaha...I am in the tropics afterall...

Great stuff!!

Years ago I tried this and was unable to cover the WH stench. I used many, many drops of EO to no avail. More power to you.

I added Tea Tree oil to my Dickensons. I bought bunch of essential oils to make hand sanitizer with when it was hard to find when the CCP virus started and the shelves were empty of commercially made sanitizers.

Top Bottom