What's new

Recommend a blade, please.

Really like the German-made Wilkinson SC from Walmart, but they no longer carry them. Of course ordering online is fine, but can't find the Wilkie SC anywhere in bulk for a good price.

Feathers are too harsh for my face. Don't like Derby or Dorco. Crystals were good but not as smooth as I would like. Astra SP are a little harsh.

Maybe I should try Voskhod, or Shark, or one of the numerous Personna versions, or ....? Basically looking for smooth and comfortably sharp without being wickedly sharp (so maybe medium sharp?) or harsh.

Thanks!

maybe a Personna Lab? I prefer Reds, the Labs are a touch harsh for me.
I just tried one of the Lord blades that I thought was about as good as anyone else.
Gillette 7 o'clock yellow might be to your taste.

If you're looking for sharp plus smooth, I heartily recommend the Gillette 7:00 Yellow and the Gillette Silver Blue. PolSilver is a mighty fine blade that is sharp and smooth. IMHO.

I just recently tried Voskhod blades after a generous PIF from a member here and I can not believe how smooth they are. Wonderful, 90% BBS shave that had me wondering if there was a blade in my R89.

If you're looking for sharp plus smooth, I heartily recommend the Gillette 7:00 Yellow and the Gillette Silver Blue. PolSilver is a mighty fine blade that is sharp and smooth. IMHO.
Polsilvers are a very nice blade. I usually use Feathers, but I bought five packs of Polsilvers to try and I like 'em a lot. I'm ripping through them quick, and I would easily order them again.

Great ideas! I think the Voskhod and Gillette 7 o'clock yellows are on the list for sure.
Thanks and keep the ideas coming!

There's also the Rapira Platinum Lux. I find em a smidge better than Voskhods, but you can only get em from Russia or Lithuania sources.

My fear with Polsilver is that they'd be harsh because they are often cited as being very sharp. I've be DE shaving for 15 years so technique is spot on for my particular face and skin. So a regular sharpness but still smooth is what I'm after. Nothing as sharp as a Feather!
As always, YMMV, but would Polsilver fall into those criteria?

I'll echo the Voskhod recommendation. I bought a 100 pack and haven't looked back - they give me a great, smooth shave and I don't feel I have to be overly cautious. (Of course that doesn't stop me from checking out other blades - I've got my eyes on the Rapira Platinum Lux next.)

One other brand that I was surprised by: Lord Platinum. I was expecting them to be middle of the road but after several blind blade tests, the Lords placed very highly for me and always give me a smooth, easy shave with no cuts/weepers. I have sensitive skin and course stubble so extrapolate from that what you will.

In addition to the ones mentioned above, you might try an Astra SS, Astra SS or a Viking Sword. If you want to PM me with your mailing address, a little birdy might drop a few blades in an envelope... :wink2:

In addition to the ones mentioned above, you might try an Astra SS, Astra SS or a Viking Sword. If you want to PM me with your mailing address, a little birdy might drop a few blades in an envelope... :wink2:

PM sent! The knowledge and generosity of B&B members never ceases to amaze!

Asatra SP are my preferred blade.

I like the sharper blades myself but I found the Personna blades to be very smooth. The Reds are nice and smooth, the Labs are a bit sharper than the Reds but still very smooth.

The Merkur blade is quite smooth and middle of the road sharpness. Permasharp is also a very good blade and more forgiving than a Feather but almost as sharp.

Astra SS & Gillette Platinum for 'medium sharp' yet 'ultra smooth'
Voskhods are also great but dont give as close a shave as those two, but are a bit smoother.

I'm also a fan of the aforementioned Gillette Silver Blue. Another blade that I'd add would be to try a Gillette 7 o'clock Black. For me, both are smooth and sharp. My girlfriend even likes to use a Gillette Black with her Lady Gillette. Best of luck!

I use to love the Wilkerson Sword till I tried Bolzano blades, now these I love. PM me and maybe that birdie will fly by my place.

Top Bottom