What's new

Recommend a $100 Beginner Set

My younger cousin (by 22 years) will be graduating this year. I thought this would be a good time to initiate him into the gentlemanly art of wet shaving. His father, like my grandfather, is a dedicated electric man so he has little hope of learning anything about shaving at home.

I’d like to put together a small starter set for him as a graduation gift. I have no idea if he will actually like it, or use it, so I’d like to keep the cost at around $100. My cousin is in the USA so I’d like to order the complete set from one local store and have it delivered directly.

Here’s what I’m thinking and why.
Razor: Edwin Jagger 89 ($37)
Brush: Simpson 46 Best ($51)
Soap: Speick Cream Original ($7)
Blades: Feather 10 Pack ($5)

I thought I’d start him out with DE as he might be scared off by a SR. A badger brush adds a bit of class to the set up. Speick is cheap, easy to lather and a solid performer (I’m trying to stay under $100). Feather is my favorite blade and I like the fact that the used blades can be stored safety in the pack.

Any other suggestions?

This will be a case of the blind giving directions, but here are my thoughts.

The EJ89 should be fine. Liked by many and reputed to be a good starter razor.
The Simpson is a decent badger, but I’d select a synthetic to start. I have several Yaqi’s and lathering is easy with no break-in required.
The Speick Cream would be a nice choice. I’ve not used it, but their stick is great.
I would not recommend the Feather to a beginner. Suggest a milder blade. Too much blood might discourage him early. Astra SP is liked by a large number at B&B. Might be a safer choice, unless you would get a nice selection pack of several for him to try.

You might want to add some skin products to help him through the first few days/weeks. Balms, alum, after shave, etc.

Great idea for him. Good luck.

Agree with @Ed Gcom , would add Nivea cream AS and replace feather by Astra SP.
For the brush, Im now sold to badger but synthetics are "easier" . But creams are easy to lather so badger will work too, just tell him to load heavy.

I'd swap the badger brush for a good synthetic: easier to use.

On the same grounds, a shave stick would be worth considering.

I'd also add some Derby Extra, Astra Super Platinum, and Astra Superior Stainless. Feather could be too sharp to learn on. The other blades, along with the Feathers, will give him a full range from mild through to sharp so he can experiment to find the one which suits him best.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I like the DE89, but I would load it with Crystals.
A good Simpson synthetic makes sense.
Maybe a puck of Pre de Provence.
Pick an aftershave that suits smell preferences.

Eben Stone

Staff member
You didn't say what his beard type is. I could be totally wrong about this, but I would base the razor and blade combination on his beard type (and also the fact that he's a beginner). I assume light/fine beard if he's using an electric, if that's correct, then the DE89 is probably a very reasonable and safe choice.

I moved from DE shaving directly from electric. The thought of a metal DE razor was a bit intimidating. I started with the Wilkinson Sword Classic (WSC), comes with 5 blades. Instead of just sending him stuff and hoping he tries it out, why not get him a great learning DE like the WSC with no sharp edges and Zoom teaching him the ropes. Then when he gets the hang of it send him the EJ or whatever. You'll find spending time with a cousin (even over Zoom) will mean more than just stuff.

Here’s what I’m thinking and why.

Razor: Edwin Jagger 89 ($37) -- $30 on Amazon
Brush: Simpson 46 Best ($51) -- Simpson T2, $24 on Amazon
Soap: Speick Cream Original ($7) -- Barrister and Mann, Proraso, Arko, etc. ~$15 on Amazon, depending on choice
Blades: Feather 10 Pack ($5) -- Astra SP; 20 blades, $4 on Amazon
Aftershave: Nivea Sensitive Balm, $8 on Amazon
I've added my own suggestions. Totals out at $81, not including tax/shipping.

The razor and brush are good choices for me, but I’d give a newbie a synthetic brush to start. Softer and more foolproof for someone new to this. Cheaper too.

I’d give him some milder blades and a shave stick. Astra SP blades and a stick of Tabac or Speick. He can then face-lather to perfection. Just my opinion of course; but how I would do it if I had a time machine for me.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
RazoRock GC68-P (HD Handle)
RazoRock Big Bruce
Speick Shaving Stick
Speick Aftershave
40 blade sampler
Free shipping
$109.95

Substitute RazoRock XXX Aftershave for the Speick Aftershave reduces the price to $99.95 fot the kit.

RazoRock GC68-P (HD Handle)
RazoRock Big Bruce
Speick Shaving Stick
RazoRock XXX Aftershave
40 blade sampler
Free shipping
$99.95

You can also reduce the overall cost by going with a RazoRock Lupo, RazoRock SLOC or a Fatip.

Just my opinion.

The Rockwell 6C would eat ½ of the budget, but he'd get to choose his own blade gap, and it is a perfectly good razor in its own right. Also, an unadvised tyro will try R1 first for face-shaving; that is about as scary as a wet dishcloth, and they'll try the R2 (which will do it, more or less) with confidence.

I'm using two Razorock Game Changers now, but I made my way there, avoiding vast expense, by using the Rockwell as a test bed.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I like your choices. I'd say if you go with a lower cost synthetic, then go with a GC 0.68 razor, but your first choice is very solid and if given a choice between the GC 0.68 with a synthetic brush or a EJ89 with a real badger, I'd take the badger every single time.

Reactions: Cal
Razor: Edwin Jagger 89 ($37)
Brush: Simpson 46 Best ($51)
Soap: Speick Cream Original ($7)
Blades: Feather 10 Pack ($5)
We all got our preferences but if I were to buy I would switch the razor to iKon X3 and the brush to Omega Boar #49. iKon X3 is super mild and smooth but still efficient and it will not clog even if he would be a week without shaving.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Nice idea for a graduation present. The only thing that I would change would be changing the Feathers for a blade sampler pack. That way he can work out what blades he actually likes and work well for him. Feathers might be too harsh and sharp for a beginner.

Throw out the badger and get synthetic. Spend extra money on Rockwell 6C (as sugested before, you get 6 razors). Better than 10 Feathers is a sampler pack of well liked blades here

Choice is subjective but this is what I would consider

Razorock GC 0.68 , Merkur 34C HD or Rockwell 6C
Simpson Trafalgar synthetic or Razorock plisoft
A nice preferenced scented cream or croap (easy to bowl or face lather)
A sharp yet forgiving blade such as the polsilver or Nacet (personally I wouldn't start with a feather)
Some thayers witch hazel ( closes down and sooths any little nicks or cuts without the sting of alum)
and a nice neutral aftershave balm such as Nivea balm

Top Bottom