What's new

Recommend 3 must have DSLR lenses.

You need.............................................

The 35mm equivalent of......................................

A 28mm (or wider)

A 50mm

A ~90mm,

And maybe a macro.

Of course all this is BS....,

Because all you really need is a camera, a lens, and a good eye. But IMO, those are the three lenses you can make a "kit" out of, that will serve for 90% of situations.

Yeah, it's the same as guitar or golf or anything really.
Tiger woods can beat you at golf with a set of Fisher Price kids clubs because he knows how to play.
But it's more fun to buy into the illusion.

Plus, there's just something about camera gear that is cool.
Maybe not to the guys who made a living out of it (kind of like me and computers).

Personally, I think sticking to a 90 prime on the long end is a little short. For the average person shooting daily life, a tele of 70-200 or 70-300 is a great lens. Good for portraits, long enough for kids sports games, birding, hunting and such. As much as we all like the shoe leather zoom and doing what it takes to get the shot, a tele-zoom is really a good lens for the average shooter. Quality has really come a long ways on these is the last 15 years and with VR coming down in price makes a good kit for the "household" photographer.

-Xander

Quality has really come a long ways on these is the last 15 years and with VR coming down in price makes a good kit for the "household" photographer.
I agree, there has been a dramatic improvement in the quality of long zoom lenses, especially in sharpness and CA. For contrast, I still prefer primes or short zooms.

But for "household" purposes, long zooms are perfectly usable across the entire zoom range.

My three most commonly used lenses (Nikon) would be: 105 f/2.0DC, 24-70 f/2.8 and 180 f/2.8... With those three, I can usually find a focal length to work with.

When you get to the point where you want/find the need/must have more lenses, there is software that you can use (don't know the name(s)) to breakdown your pictures by focal length. You can get a feel for what you have really been shooting and make a more informed choices re prime lenses. On the other, more is always better.....

I'll chime in with my basic upgrade from my starter lens. I went with the tamron 17-50 f2.8 non vc version. (It was cheaper than the new version with vibration control), a canon 85 f1.8 wanted some fast glass with a little reach, and to round it out I had the sigma 50-150 f2.8 (again the older version). Faster glass allows faster shutter speeds, which means not having to rely on image stabilization. The canon 85 f1.8 is one of my favorite lenses, I do have a 50 f1.8(metal mount, not the newer plasticy one) but I still prefer the 85.

What 3 DSLR lenses would you recommend as must haves?
Try to avoid the real high end full frame pro gear.
I'm thinking more of an every man situation.

Just the focal lengths will do and maybe a blurb why you would choose that lens.

This is a really basic question for the guy who is just getting started and just wants to know.

You need one if you have a cropfactor. a 28mm. It becomes a 50 after crop.
If you learn Photography at school (like I did for 5 years) You will start with a 50mm.
This forces you to get close and look for details. You learn to build a good composition. Zoom just gives you something to think about while if you're a beginner you don't have to.

(this works for most Photography. There are off course sorts that will need other focal lenghts. but for just basic photography you don't need much.)

Dries

I could live with my kit lens (18-55) and the 55-200 that I added shortly after buying the camera.
My first addition was a cheap 8mm fisheye, and while I could absolutely live without it, it is a fun lens to play around with.
My 2nd addition was a Tamron 70-300, and I think for the most part, it is going to replace my Nikon 55-200 as my primary "long" lens.
The clarity of this lens is great... maybe a bit sharper than the Nikon.
My 3rd was SWMBO's birthday present to me, a Tamron 200-500. That is definitely a "luxury" lens that I could live without (but I love it).

So based on what I have, and to recommend three "must-have", I would say something in the 18-55 and a 55-300 range zoom, and stack that with a 35-70mm prime, the particular length depending on where you normally find yourself putting the zoom lenses.

Fisheye:

$DSC_0525tn.jpg

The 70-300 @ 300 from 3/4 mile away:

$OBS_BW_004tn.jpg

The 18-55... hand-held at 1/6s (VR is nice)

$DSC_0581.jpg

And my wallpaper at work... from the 500mm

$DSC_0465_004.jpg

I don't like superzooms. On a full frame, I like the Tamron 28-75/2.8

Tamron makes some nice glass that really is underrated and a real value, especially if you can pick it up used.
My wife paid $375 for my 200-500. That lens goes for around a grand new, and quality comes in between the Canon 300 prime and the "L" glass. It's not an L, but it is VERY nice.
I've been very impressed with my 70-300 as well.

But with third party glass, do your research. My Tamron 28-105/2.8 is the worst lens I have ever used. I didn't buy it, it was given to me, but it is just plain terrible. Incredibly soft around the edges at all apertures, and soft all the way around at 5.6 and down. Beyond f/4 it's not even very nice looking soft. I have found a few sweet spots with it, but it's not my go-to lens.

-X

Top Bottom