What's new

Recommed Soap for Brother in Law

Hey gang, give me a recommendation please.

I am putting together a shaving kit for my Brother-in-Law based on my deceased Father-in-Law's old kit.

I have a birth quarter Slim out being replated for him now. And I have an appropriate Ever Ready brush waiting on a knot from TGN. Plus I have scrounged up an Old Spice mug that SWMBO says is the right one.

But good heavens is a puck of vintage O.S. soap precious to people.

Surely some of the Old Spice aficionados here can recommend an artisan soap maker that has a good O.S. soap substitute that won't break the budget.

I don't really expect my B-i-L to use a DE regularly, but I want it to be completely serviceable just in case he does try it. So a decent soap is important.

Recommendations?

The only one I know of is MB Aged Spice, but I've heard it may not be that accurate of an interpretation of the Old Spice soap.

There also might be something from Stirling Soaps that's similar. Any vintage O.S. soap is likely not going to have much scent left any way.

There also might be something from Stirling Soaps that's similar.

I like the Stirling version, myself. Not too much money, great performance, and my Dad says it is a reasonable facsimilie of the original scent.

Best,

Lane

Last edited:
Mama-Bear makes one, like said above, I have heard it is not exact, and Stirling as well, has been said to be "close". I have a vintage puck and plan to buy a few artisan examples in a few months to figure out who has the closest scent. of course, my soap is from the 60s, so may have lost some of its "flavor", as it is a very light scent (but I love it).

Oh come on, you *know* you want to throw in a bar of that staining black soap from the joke shop. This is your BIL we are talking about, after all. :001_cool:

Prairie Creations had an OS knockoff as I recall, and a "spiced rum" that is nice, even if it isn't Old Spice. The MB version is pretty close.

I just put together a vintage kit for my father for father's day/his birthday. Had the same problem finding a puck of Old Spice.

I ended up going with a puck of Stirling Spice from Stirling Soaps. ~$11 with shipping, add a few bucks more for a nice little tin.

Tabac isn't going to necessarily replicate the OS smell, but it's going to be fairly manly, fit the OS mug, and lather much easier than just about anything. I might also throw a tube of cream in there as well.

Tabac isn't going to necessarily replicate the OS smell, but it's going to be fairly manly, fit the OS mug, and lather much easier than just about anything. I might also throw a tube of cream in there as well.

Yeah, Tabac would work.... if you don't like your BiL and never want him to talk to you again. Ever. But if that were the case, you wouldn't be buying him a wet shaving kit. Stay away from the Tabac.

Yeah, Tabac would work.... if you don't like your BiL and never want him to talk to you again. Ever. But if that were the case, you wouldn't be buying him a wet shaving kit. Stay away from the Tabac.

Ok, so I'm going to say you are "undecided" about the Tabac scent. :tongue_sm

Hey gang, give me a recommendation please.

I am putting together a shaving kit for my Brother-in-Law based on my deceased Father-in-Law's old kit.

I have a birth quarter Slim out being replated for him now. And I have an appropriate Ever Ready brush waiting on a knot from TGN. Plus I have scrounged up an Old Spice mug that SWMBO says is the right one.

But good heavens is a puck of vintage O.S. soap precious to people.

Surely some of the Old Spice aficionados here can recommend an artisan soap maker that has a good O.S. soap substitute that won't break the budget.

I don't really expect my B-i-L to use a DE regularly, but I want it to be completely serviceable just in case he does try it. So a decent soap is important.

Recommendations?

I like the Stirling version, myself. Not too much money, great performance, and my Dad says it is a reasonable facsimilie of the original scent.

Best,

Lane

Stirling Spice is one of my favorite soaps, and smells a mighty lot like the vintage stuff did.

I highly recommend it.

I just put together a vintage kit for my father for father's day/his birthday. Had the same problem finding a puck of Old Spice.

I ended up going with a puck of Stirling Spice from Stirling Soaps. ~$11 with shipping, add a few bucks more for a nice little tin.

I would say Stirling Spice is almost the same as the "Old Spice"
I saw a "Old Spice" Mug and Brush on e-bay aka e-gouge" for a very obscene price almost lost my lunch. look here;http://www.thefreedictionary.com/gouge

Top Bottom