What's new

Recharging silicone sleeve?

My apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but does anyone know how to "recharge" a silicone impregnated anti rust sleeve (from the superior shave)? I've been storing my restoration project in a sleeve, which I keep in a cigar box, but it'd seems that most of the silicone has leeched out...

Thanks in advance!

You could probably recharge it by getting some silicone spray lubricant and spraying it into the bag then massaging the bag a bit so it soaks in.

Fwiw, I cut open a large glad bag and lined the box I was using so that the silicon stayed where it was, maybe that will help once you recharge

Good suggestions, thanks!

I was thinking of applying some wax to the inside of the box, but maybe a plastic liner would be safer (though not as neat).

When I got my set of sleeves it came wrapped in a ton of this plastic wrap which is like an industrial strength version of the stuff you use in the kitchen to wrap your food. I kept it, loaded my razors in the sleeves and then wrapped the whole thing back up in the plastic wrap. I did it mostly so the silicone did not bleed in the cardboard box I kept it in, but I see now that it also helped it from drying out.

I also noticed that the silicone helped impregnate the wood scales I made for some of my blades and did a whole lot better of a job at it than my many coats of oil on the scales.

Top Bottom