What's new

RECHARGING CAR A/C UNIT

I've used this method the last few years and saved a nice chunk of cash.....What I have never learned is if you should keep
air cond.JPG
the windows rolled up, or down during the refilling..Or does it have no effect ?

I've used this method the last few years and saved a nice chunk of cash.....What I have never learned is if you should keep View attachment 1003094 the windows rolled up, or down during the refilling..Or does it have no effect ?
How often do you have to charge your system?. You should never have to add freon unless you have a leak. I roll the windows up and and put a thermometer in one of the A/C vents.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Just did this yesterday for my old car.

The whole leave the windows down routine is to ensure the compressor keeps running. You're supposed to have the system on Max cool so the recalculation door closes and draws 90% of the air from the cabin. Theoretically if you left the car cabin closed under certain circumstances you could reach maximum cool which MAY cause the compressor to turn off during charging (not good as charging would cease). In practice I think maximum cool settings never turn off the compressor so the point may be moot.

If you need a recharge you *may* have a leak but there are circumstances that supposedly can mitigate this. For my old car it has sat for a few years only being started once every six to eight months. I've read that all systems leak because none are perfect seals but who knows.

I know that about two years ago I recharged my wife's van and that was all it's needed since then. I recently put the gauges on it and the pressures were perfect with no loss showing and it runs very well. For my old car we'll see if it has developed a leak from sitting or not. So far so good.

Chris

I've used this method the last few years and saved a nice chunk of cash.....What I have never learned is if you should keep View attachment 1003094 the windows rolled up, or down during the refilling..Or does it have no effect ?
Doesn’t make any difference. You’ll be charging the system by looking at a pressure gauge, not a temperature. If you overcharge the system it will cause damage. If your system is charged with the correct volume of refrigerant and it’s still not blowing cold, then you have another problem.

How often do you have to charge your system?. You should never have to add freon unless you have a leak. I roll the windows up and and put a thermometer in one of the A/C vents.

Clayton

Every other summer...I'm sure the 13 year old system leaks ,but for $10 a can it's not worth repairing. I use only the straight gas, not ones with " leak sealer " , which I heard is just snake oil.

Running the air is actually good for the system. It circulates the oil and keeps the seals lubed. I have a 25 year old Toyota that has never had an AC problem. I run the air year round, even in winter because it dries the interior.

Every other summer...I'm sure the 13 year old system leaks ,but for $10 a can it's not worth repairing. I use only the straight gas, not ones with " leak sealer " , which I heard is just snake oil.
Had a small leak in my A/C system (2007 GMC Yukon) and used a product called A/C Pro. It’s in a can like all of the other recharging kits, but it has leak sealer in it. Worked very well for me as far as stopping the leak. Pretty expensive @ $30+ for a can, but cheaper than replacing a bunch of parts trying to isolate a small leak.

Doesn’t make any difference. You’ll be charging the system by looking at a pressure gauge, not a temperature. If you overcharge the system it will cause damage. If your system is charged with the correct volume of refrigerant and it’s still not blowing cold, then you have another problem.
You can't over charge it. It will only take what it needs when using a recharge kit.

Clayton

You can't over charge it. It will only take what it needs when using a recharge kit.

Clayton

Older systems were easy...use the listed method until it wouldn't take any more. No big fear of over-charging. Newer systems, however, are a different affair and usually require a very specific pressure range to work properly. A few pounds too low or high can be the difference between hot (not working) and cold.

Clayton

You can definitely over charge it, and do expensive damage in the process. The seals in the system do not like extreme pressure, you'll cause more problems than you started with

Clayton

Thats not true. You can actually very easily overcharge it if you arent careful and blow out the o-rings. Thats why the can has a gauge that tells you how much pressure is in the system.
FWIW, I work in an auto plant and at one point in time one of the jobs I did was doing SUVA fill, so Ive charged a few thousand AC systems in my day.
To the OP, you should never have to refill the system unless there is a leak but its not uncommon on older vehicles to have o-rings that leak or some other kind of pinhole leak in one of the lines. A lot of shops will often add dye to the refridgerant to show where the leak is but spending $10 every other year to refill it may or may not be worth spending the money to see if it can be fixed.

AS an update for myself I have a leak. Sitting for years has probably caused it.

It's in the mechanic's hands now to fix it.

Chris

Top Bottom