What's new

Rechargeable batteries

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I've been a bit disappointed in Amazon Basics rechargeable batteries. Quite a few dead after just a couple cycles.

What do you guys use?

I have some Eneloop AA that are over a decade old and still work well. They do not experience heavy usage but have not failed like some lesser quality AAA that were purchased later.

Project Farm (youtube channel) has done a few videos that attempt to test rechargeable batteries. IIRC from a recent one I watched Energizer, Duracell, Ladda (Ikea) and Eneloop were the top performers. While Harbor Freight and EBL were the worse. I believe Amazon was middle of the pack. Problem with watching his video or reading reviews on Amazon is that information gets old as the manufacturers change things up or outsource to different places.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Thanks guys. I'm moving into some Eneloops. (Black) Hopefully this will increase reliability.

I've had better success with the Sanyo and Panasonic Eneloops than others brands. The problem with short term studies is that some batteries crap out from age even without very many charging cycles.

Storage conditions can make a huge difference. Try and keep them in a climate controlled space if possible.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Comfortable room temperature at ~50% humidity is good.

Yeah like computer rooms . . . regulate the temperature, the humidity, condition the power . .. and they will do what ever the heck they want to do.

Ok I hear you . . . keep in a cool dry place.

Comfortable room temperature at ~50% humidity is good.
In my somewhat extensive experience one - if not the most important - aspect of NiMH chemistry longevity is the charger. One should never skimp on a decent charger - with active monitoring - as they can be easily had for ~ 10.

What is your recommendation Anu?
Got my portable XTAR VC2 (two charging bays) back in 2018, £12 as just checked. Apparently the current offer over the Pond is XTAR VC2S and more expensive. Alternatively you could go with XTAR VC4 which is still widely available for $17.99, a sensibly priced and adequate charger. Or, if so inclined, their TOTL. Do check the latest models though, as they've apparently updated the whole 2021 line-up to USB C.

Last edited:
In my somewhat extensive experience one - if not the most important - aspect of NiMH chemistry longevity is the charger. One should never skimp on a decent charger - with active monitoring - as they can be easily had for ~ 10.
That is a good point to get a charger that doesn't overcharge or overheat the batteries. I started with a basic Eneloop charger that came with a set of AA batteries. When I bought some more batteries in AAA size back in 2011 I got the La Crosse BC-700 which is no longer sold. I bought it based on its popularity at the time and it is all I use. Surely there are better chargers now, but I would be leery of ones that charged too quickly by default.

I have been thinking of upgrading chargers to something that supports the other battery formats like the higher voltage ones used in modern LED flashlights, but I have spent zero time looking into that as I have so far avoided those products.

Reactions: Anu
Top Bottom