What's new

Recent convert from Canada

Welcome from W Canada. I like your kit. I started with a very mild razor, so I had to use Feather blades to cut anything. Later, once my technique improved, I found Personna Reds/IPs worked even better. I find the Rockwell products are quite good and, like you, enjoy the price at certain discount stores (probably the same ones). I love the scent, but on some days, it is cloying over the course of the day.

Welcome from Vancouver!

The cost of housing here may be marginally more than the cost of a Cartridge Shave, but still worth living.

Try the Proraso Green shaving soap btw. Nothing like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome and a great introduction! Two online dealers in your part of the planet are:

The Italian Barber

The Handsome Grouse

I'm not affiliated with either, Just passing on the info.

You'll need a variety of razors in order to have a choice for shaves for the days of the week. Most of my ever-growing collection is vintage razors, since they're usually cheaper than the modern razors. Gillette Techs, Old Style or New Style or any of the clones (Baili comes to mind as does a really cheap Chinese Tech Clone available at E-Bay). The 3 piece razor design can give you excellent shaves with a wider variety of blades than a TTO design, and even that cheap-o Chinese model with the plastic handle gives a shave equivalent to my best Gillette Tech or Old Style.

I've got my Mom's Dad's shaving brush (it's got to be at least 90 years old), and recently branched out from the Barbasol I've used forever, to recently making a puck myself - turned out well and the shave is excellent without irritation.

Heard something recently on the radio as advice given to the space aliens invisibly circling the Earth: "Eat the Canadians First. They're more tender and flavorful."

So watch your six. And if you have to go, it's great consolation knowing that you went with a good shave!

Brush: Been using a synthetic from The Body Shop. Ordered a Silvertip Badger with ebony handle from Titan and just got it.
If you want to try a much better class of synthetic, APShaveCo (a Canadian outfit) has some nice ones.

My Routine

Work up a good lather in a hot bowl, brush it on and massage it in. Piping hot towel on the face for a few minutes and rinse. Then I do 3 passes. More of less 1 WTG and 2 XTG at about 45 degrees off of WTG.
Wait . . . what?
Towelling off the lather and rinsing before you shave? Are you sure you meant to say that? o_O

Tried ATG a few days in a row with the Wilkinson Sword blades. BBS but some definite irritation and rash.
Wilkinson Sword blades might be my least favourite because I find them rather rough. I get more than usual weepers with them too.

Mac mentioned Italian Barber (Aurora, Ontario) earlier. Fendrihan (also Ontario) has a lot of stuff and good service too.

Top Bottom