What's new

Recent convert from Canada

Hi folks,

Made the switch from Fusion carts to DE about a month ago. Never shaved more than 3 days in a row in my life (I’m 40). 2 days gave me razor burn, 3 days was brutal. Hated shaving so I went days, weeks or sometimes months between shaves. Got tired of paying so much for something I hated with such vehemence. Decided wet shaving may be a better way. Thus far I have not been disappointed. Shaving every day (except a few days in the past week I’ve had to skip due to a 12-13 hour work day with 8-9 hours off). Really enjoying not only being fresh and shaved but also the process.

My Gear

Razor: The Chieftan from Viking Blades - My first and only razor and I love it. Great feel and superb build quality. Also looks great and I’ll admit that having Viking Blade etched onto my razor just make me happy. So long and it holds up and the finish lasts I doubt I’ll be venturing into RAD territory anytime soon.

Blades: Tried the milds than came with the razor, didn’t like them any more than I thought I would. Tried and liked some Wilkinson Swords, then got some samples from tryablade. Tried the Personna Israeli and nothing special. Went for the feathers next and ordered 50 more that day. One day I’ll try the others I got but for now I’m sticking with the feathers.

Brush: Been using a synthetic from The Body Shop. Ordered a Silvertip Badger with ebony handle from Titan and just got it. First shave with it today and wow. The lather built amazingly and the feeling on my face was simply wonderful. Only a slight badger smell, well I suppose it’s badger smell as I’ve never actually put my nose near a badger. A few stray hairs came out but I understand that is normal for a natural brush.

Cream: Rockwell’s cream. Got it for a sweet deal and love the scent. Seems to do the trick.

Aftershave: Thayer’s Original witch hazel and Rockwell’s Aftershave. Again got the Rockwell’s for a steal and love the scent. Also leaves my skin nice and soft.

Alum/Styptic: Alum block should be here any day now. Unopened styptic pencil kicking around. Yet to cut myself other than minor nick.

My Routine

Work up a good lather in a hot bowl, brush it on and massage it in. Piping hot towel on the face for a few minutes and rinse. Then I do 3 passes. More of less 1 WTG and 2 XTG at about 45 degrees off of WTG. Gets the job done for a pretty damn close shave without irritation. Tried ATG a few days in a row with the Wilkinson Sword blades. BBS but some definite irritation and rash. Once I have more practice, and my alum block I’ll give it a go with the feathers. After the 3rd pass I rinse with hot then cold water. Then I put on the Thayer’s, let it dry for a few minutes and then the aftershave.

Only real issue I’m getting is some red bumps at the base of the neck. But that’s a combination of the hairs growing every which way and too much pressure I’m sure. I’ve been loving the forums here and have learned quite a bit. If there is anything I’m missing or doing wildly wrong please let me know.

Thanks all

Hi and welcome! Can I suggest rinsing the witch hazel off before putting the Aftershave on. Leading it on will dry you out. Happy shaves.

Welcome from Barrie Ontario! I've been DE shaving for 8 months. Lots of great info here, some of it could lead you astray! Enjoy your shaves.
Steve

Welcome to B&B.
May be worth trying a few of the St Petersburg blades, especiallly Astra SP and Gillette Silver Blue.

Welcome! Thanks for telling us about yourself & what gear you’re using. You’ve got a good setup, glad you’re enjoying it & learning what you enjoy! Jump in & join in on some of the threads, we’re a harmless bunch!

Welcome to B&B.
May be worth trying a few of the St Petersburg blades, especiallly Astra SP and Gillette Silver Blue.

I’ve got Astra SP, Gillette 7 O’clock Super Stainless and PolSilver super iridium all from St Petersburg. Was intending on trying them and then saving the Feathers for last. Got impatient and just had to try the sharpest ones. Now I’m going to stick with this blade and razor combo for a while while I get the technique refined so I can give other blades a fair shot. In the meantime my spare blades for the samples I bought will give my sons an assortment of blades to try as they start out.

Welcome to the forum! Glad to hear you are getting more comfortable shaves now.

"doubt I'll be venturing into RAD territory"

Never know...

Top Bottom