What's new

Recent college graduate curious about smoking

Hi!

(if you're not interested in some background skip this paragraph)

I've been curious about cigars for about a year or so, but I was a vocal music major in college and I didn't want to risk ruining my voice before my junior and senior recitals. Now that all of that is over I'm working on becoming a certified music teacher in the Chicagoland area (shameless plug? Maybe you'll employ me!!! :001_rolle) and although I'm unemployed I'm willing to drop a few bucks for something I actually enjoy. This is where you guys come in...

I'm looking for a cigar that might compliment A) Coffee in the morning B) A beer (stella artois anyone?) in the evening or C) a stiffer drink on weekends. With the awesome weather scheduled this week I'd love to know what to check out at stores in Chicago. I'm sure I could find almost anything if I looked. AND I have all the time in the world... waiting to get certified in Illinois is painful. Just waiting for them to review!!!

Readers digest version: What's your favorite cigar/drink combos?

I like RP cigars and sampler isn't a bad way to go to get your feet wet. The price is better than getting them individually so not a bad deal. I like full bodied cigars - Maduro wrappers with coffee or bourbon, can make my whole day, or night respectively.

I'm pretty inexperienced in how cigars complement different drinks, so I'll defer to the more experienced members. However, two brands I've enjoyed lately are Nub and Ashton. In Chicago (the Loop), you can check out Iwan Ries and Jack Schwartz. I hit IR more frequently as it's closer to my office - the guys there are really helpful. Good luck!

Hi!

(if you're not interested in some background skip this paragraph)

I've been curious about cigars for about a year or so, but I was a vocal music major in college and I didn't want to risk ruining my voice before my junior and senior recitals. Now that all of that is over I'm working on becoming a certified music teacher in the Chicagoland area (shameless plug? Maybe you'll employ me!!! :001_rolle) and although I'm unemployed I'm willing to drop a few bucks for something I actually enjoy. This is where you guys come in...

I'm looking for a cigar that might compliment A) Coffee in the morning B) A beer (stella artois anyone?) in the evening or C) a stiffer drink on weekends. With the awesome weather scheduled this week I'd love to know what to check out at stores in Chicago. I'm sure I could find almost anything if I looked. AND I have all the time in the world... waiting to get certified in Illinois is painful. Just waiting for them to review!!!

Readers digest version: What's your favorite cigar/drink combos?

A) Coffee in the morning

La Flor De Cano Corona, Quai D Orsay Corona or any of the Dominican Davidoff Mille series

B) A beer (stella artois anyone?) in the evening

I like IPA's. That is mostly what I drink. With that said, beer and cigar doesn't work well for me. It's the bitterness of the hops that's gets in the way of the nuances of cigars.

C) a stiffer drink on weekends

Find any cigar that are medium to full flavor. A bourbon will match with a sweeter La Gloria Cubana Medaille Dor #2 (adds more complexity) and will also complement a spicy Partagas Serie P2 (enhances the spiciness).

Usually I will try to stay away from beer when I am smoking a cigar or vice versa. Other than that, you can't really go wrong with matching drinks (coffee, tea, water, coke, wine, port, bourbon, scotch and rum) with cigars. A good cigar one hand + good drink on another hand = perfect day.

Since you live near a big city, look online (or if any other Chicago-ites would know of a place) for a good tobacconist in your area. Ask questions and for recommendations. A good tobacconist would probably ask a few questions, like what kinds of foods/drinks you prefer, then give a few recommendations, and ask you to return with feedback after you've tried them to further narrow down what your preferred nuances are.

As for my preferences: Depending on my mood, anything from medium bodied to full bodied. I usually prefer larger ring gauges, as I tend to take rather long slow puffs, and smaller gauges tend to burn a bit hotter for me. I won't list anything too outrageous, so most of these are pretty widely available.

CAO Black: A pretty good anytime cigar. About as mellow as I tend to buy for myself, unless I am offered something light bodied by another person. Flavors of vanilla and a touch of leather to start, and it gets a bit peppery towards the finish. Very consistent flavor from box to box. Also a good cigar to give to someone who doesn't smoke cigars that often, since it doesn't have a super spicy/heavy kick to it.
CAO Brazilia: Full bodied, spicy. A good evening cigar, holds up well to steak and barbeque. Goes pretty well with bourbon, especially if it has a hint of sweetness to offset the spice.
Indian Tabac Classic: Another kick around cigar. Medium bodied, decent flavor, but nothing really stands out as a dominant flavor.
Bohemian (Black and Red): Both are delicious. Red has a bit more spice while black is a bit more mellow. Both are good cigars, but a little recommendation. If I am going to be smoking a black, I leave it out of the humidor for a half hour or so before I smoke it. They tend to hold quite a bit of moisture, and if smoked right from the humidor can burn a bit unevenly.
Onyx Reserve: An ok cigar, I don't think it's as spectacular as some have said, but it's not bad. Consistent maduro flavor, not overly spicy. I drink my coffee black, so this goes well with it.

Just a few suggestions from the top of my head.

Morning cigars: Rockey Patel (typically appreviated "RP") Connecticut, Man O' War Virtue, Perdomo 10th Anniversary Champagne, 5 Vegas Gold

With a lighter beer, the same cigars apply; since Ales are typically light, a nice Connecticut wrapper should do you fine (rough rule of thumb - match the color of the beer to the color of the wrapper on the cigar)

With a Stout, I'd recommend a Diesel Unlimited, La Gloria Cubana Series N, Man O' War, Man O' War Ruination (goes great with hot chocolate too) - etc

FYI - Connecticut wrappers are typically mild (but some can be powerhouses, depending on the blend), Habano wrappers are spicy, and maduro wrappers are sweet (typically mild or medium, but some can be full-bodied)

Don't limit yourself to just mild or medium or full-bodied cigars; the true aficionado has a place in his humidor for all kinds, depending on his mood. I like a nice mild cigar in the morning with my coffee, and love a nice full-bodied cigar after a big dinner - it really just depends on your palate and what you're in the mood for. The best aficionado's in the world have humidors with both mild and medium and full-bodied smokes to accomodate whatever they're in the mood for.

If you're looking for a reputable place to buy cigars, I suggest Famous Smoke Shope, Cigars International, and Cigar.com

If you're looking for a good forum with knowledable BOTL's (Brothers of the Leaf, aka - cigar smokers), I recommend Puff.com or the Cigar.com forum (great crowd to talk cigars with)

There's an awesome tobacco and cigar shop on Belmont and Clark in the Chicago neighborhood of Lakeview, right next to the El station. It's called Blue Havana. They have a big screen tv and leather couches in there so you can sit on the couch, smoke your cigar or cigarettes that you buy there OR bring, and they even let you bring your own alcoholic beverages and drink in there. They always have some random movie playing and I've had some good conversations with random strangers also sitting on the seats and couches enjoying their smoke and a beer or two. Check it out. They have a little hookah lounge room as well.

I've been there. I didn't like the vibe. I'm a little scared and intimidated by it honestly. I should visit by myself though and check it out. I wanted to stop in there last Saturday (Sept. 3) on a trip to The Alley with my S.O. but I was broke. I'm also still kind of broke. (hence why I went with a $15 sampler... from $20 I got for my birthday coming up) I'm really hoping that I get a job teaching so I can continue my acquisition disorders. That will be the day. Being unemployed is a total bummer, btw.

Edit: Oh! I thought I posted this in an earlier post! My post isn't there... weird. Well, here's what I went with: http://www.famous-smoke.com/rp+amilcar+perez+castro+8+cigar+sampler+no.+2+cigars/item+34736

What scared you and intimidated you about it out of curiosity? I'm just surprised because I found it pretty laid back and relaxed. It was like an old fashioned man's den. Then again, the one odd thing about it is the life sized statue of predator standing there when you first walk in which is completely out of place with the rest of the place hahahaha but still awesome.

You could also try cigarbid.com. An auction site where you can get some decent cigars (singles, 5 packs, samplers...) at reasonable prices. My favorite RPs are the vintage series, specifically the 1990 Robusto. I second checking out puff.com. A lot of good and useful info and helpful members on that forum .

What scared you and intimidated you about it out of curiosity?

Mostly I think the neighborhood. There's a bunch of head shops in the area with bongs and other things out openly displayed. Right next to Blue Havana neighboring it across the alley is an "adult" type store. I don't know. I'm sure there's no reason to be intimidated or apprehensive. I think it's just my nature. Like I said, I should just go and check it out. I'm sure it's decent, at least.

Interesting enough, it's one of my favorite neighborhoods, the Lakeview/Wrigleyville area. It's definitely a young neighborhood. I'd say almost everyone living there is between 21-30 years old which explains all the smoke shops with bongs and pipes and what not. Which I have to say, I enjoy browsing. But I assure you it's a really safe neighborhood. Don't be scared! But I do understand. When I first moved to Chicago it was somewhat intimidating. After riding my bike virtually everywhere on the north side, downtown and much of the west side, I'm comfortable almost everywhere.

@Spike I've been living on the south side for 4 years, and I'm 22. It's funny that the younger neighborhood spooks me. Haha.

@Dan I think you like Fuentes.

Top Bottom