What's new

Reccomendations for mild butterfly razor

Nooooooo! No Weishis or, even worse, Weishi "clones." And especially a long handled Weishi; if you need a long handle, you are holding the razor wrong (unless you are shaving your legs).

Perhaps you can use short handled razors with no problem; I cannot. I have XL size hands and I have arthritic joints in my fingers. Thus, long handled razors are much easier to grasp and maneuver. I can use a three-piece razor with a 3.5" handle, but on a TTO razor, I want a 4" handle. The 4" handle gives me about 3.5" above the knob to hold the razor without taking a chance on loosening the mechanism. If you do not need the extra length, that is fine; but please refrain from suggesting that I am holding the razor wrong. I am holding it the only way my hands allow me to hold it.

I second the baili 179. It is milder than a super speed, has covered tabs, and is easier to hold. A super speed is definitely better built though. A slim is better than either in my opinion.

My vote is for the superspeed as well.

I shaved with an R89 for years before getting a SS. The perceived mildness is pretty similar (at least to me), but I found the superspeed was able to give me a closer shave without irritation. When you get the angle right it also feels more efficient.

If you're a bit patient, you should be able to find one in very good condition for not too much money. Not sure this last point is quite so true with the Slim, but they are also quite nice, as are Rockets if you can find them.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think im going to go for a baili....ive seen them on amazon at a good price and ive read nothing but good things 👍🏻. Id rather buy myself a brand new razor than a used one.....as for why a butterfly? I just fancy something different from my 3 piece.

Cromo90:

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think im going to go for a baili....ive seen them on amazon at a good price and ive read nothing but good things 👍🏻. Id rather buy myself a brand new razor than a used one.....as for why a butterfly? I just fancy something different from my 3 piece.

You might want to consider your options; these days, Amazon is often not the best price.

Also, I don't recall anyone suggesting Pearl. I don't have any experience with them, though.

As to Baili:

(SCRATCH & DENT) RazoRock Quick-Change DE Safety Razor – ItalianBarber - https://www.italianbarber.com/collections/scratch-dent/products/scratch-dent-razorock-quick-change-de-safety-razor

There are other options, of course.

If you go with Italian Barber, they have some cheap heads, including the Old Type and the German Slant. Try not to get too distracted, or you might want to buy one of each.

Baili razors tend to be mild, and are a good option for someone shifting from cartridges. But there is a place for mild razors, even for experienced shavers. If you use a mild razor every day for awhile, your face seems to get adjusted to it and you get a better shave than when you just use them now and then. And they provide a nice rest for your skin.

As I mentioned, this is a good option for traveling. There may be better built razors, but nowhere near this price.

I hope you enjoy your razor.

Last edited:
Cromo90:

You might want to consider your options; these days, Amazon is often not the best price.

Also, I don't recall anyone suggesting Pearl. I don't have any experience with them, though.

As to Baili:

(SCRATCH & DENT) RazoRock Quick-Change DE Safety Razor – ItalianBarber - https://www.italianbarber.com/collections/scratch-dent/products/scratch-dent-razorock-quick-change-de-safety-razor

There are other options, of course.

If you go with Italian Barber, they have some cheap heads, including the Old Type and the German Slant. Try not to get too distracted, or you might want to buy one of each.

Baili razors tend to be mild, and are a good option for someone shifting from cartridges. But there is a place for mild razors, even for experienced shavers. If you use a mild razor every day for awhile, your face seems to get adjusted to it and you get a better shave than when you just use them now and then. And they provide a nice rest for your skin.

As I mentioned, this is a good option for traveling. There may be better built razors, but nowhere near this price.

I hope you enjoy your razor.
Thanks for the advice 👍🏻 i live in the uk and there is a baili rebrand called 'kanzy' which i may consider. Virtually the same just a different handle design. Also has positive reviews and their own web site.

Yet another vote for the Slim Twist. For me it's a surprisingly great shaver.

I admit I don't have tons of razors but the Slim Twist shaves better than my Super Speed and my Slim Adjustable.

It's simple and direct, smooth close and gentle, and just very rewarding to use. Cheap if you buy carefully, easily available, and it has a nice big handle. Elsewhere someone said it's almost the zenith of Gillette engineering and I think it might be. An accidental sleeper, underrated, and for me really worth it.

Yet another vote for the Slim Twist. For me it's a surprisingly great shaver.

I admit I don't have tons of razors but the Slim Twist shaves better than my Super Speed and my Slim Adjustable.

It's simple and direct, smooth close and gentle, and just very rewarding to use. Cheap if you buy carefully, easily available, and it has a nice big handle. Elsewhere someone said it's almost the zenith of Gillette engineering and I think it might be. An accidental sleeper, underrated, and for me really worth it.
[/QUOTE]
White and the rarer dark blue
576CFBEF-36EE-4066-AD31-ADC40DBB6492.jpeg

I forgot to say, it's called the Gillette Knack in the US. Equally great, cheaper still, and easily available. I'm pretty picky about razors and I thoroughly enjoy mine. Don't let its humility fool you!

Feather makes a razor, the Popular, which I have, and is a mild, quality TTO razor. It has a metal head and plastic handle, comes in a plastic case with a package of blades. I like mine.

Feather makes a razor, the Popular, which I have, and is a mild, quality TTO razor. It has a metal head and plastic handle, comes in a plastic case with a package of blades. I like mine.

I was wondering when this plastic Feather would pop up.

I bought one online in China. It cost $1.50, retail, including postage (that's 10 yuan). It was labeled "Feather" just like the ones on eBay. It was made in China, and also sold in China under a variety of other names, some even cheaper. It is just an ultra-cheap plastic razor that costs pennies to manufacture. On the other hand, it is very, very light.

I found it mild to the extreme, and couldn't shave with it. I gave it away to a Nordic guy with fine blond hair who liked mild razors. So I guess YMMV. But I wouldn't pay more than $2 for one, if that. Yes, it was genuine; Feather makes some extremely mild razors so guys in Japan, most of whom only need to shave once or twice a week, can use their extremely aggressive blades. Go figure.

If you MUST have a razor labelled "Feather" on the package perhaps you could find one of these on Aliexpress or Alibaba at a "reasonable" price.

If you are willing to spend the excessive price they charge for this Feather, you might consider a Pearl butterfly. They even make an open comb TTO, but that probably wouldn't be so mild.

Has anyone out there tried a Pearl butterfly, aside from the new Flexi adjustable?

Last edited:
Well i recieved the baili br 179 and all i can say is...wow! Excellent shave and great fit and finish for a £15 razor. I will go as far as to say i prefer it over my muhle r89! go out at get one!

Well i recieved the baili br 179 and all i can say is...wow! Excellent shave and great fit and finish for a £15 razor. I will go as far as to say i prefer it over my muhle r89! go out at get one!

It's good to hear some feedback after a discussion. I was wondering how you were doing.

Did you get a Baili or a Kanzy? If a Kanzy, do you think there was any visible difference from a Baili, aside from the handle - was the handle a bit longer?

I'm glad you like it!

It's good to hear some feedback after a discussion. I was wondering how you were doing.

Did you get a Baili or a Kanzy? If a Kanzy, do you think there was any visible difference from a Baili, aside from the handle - was the handle a bit longer?

I'm glad you like it!
I purchased the baili in the end, the kanzys that i saw were 3 piece razors and i wanted a butterfly. As far as i can tell, kanzy is just a uk rebrand of baili. I think 3 piece and butterfly have different designs.

I couldnt find a butterfly kanzy so baili it was. But i am more than happy with my purchase. I feel that it gives a more efficient, and cleaner shave than my muhle r89, and also has less tug, seemingly gliding through hairs. A great razor and reccommende to anybody who likes milder razors.

Top Bottom