What's new

Reason to buy a Red Tip?

I cannot speak to a US made Red Tip but IMO the UK made red tip is one of the finest razors ever to touch my beard.

R

romsitsa

Hello,

the red tip is more like 4 on a Fatboy, not even close to 7. I sold mine, but imho it’s the best shaver and looker from the Superspeed family.

Adam

Does the OP think the Fat Boy is the ultimate safety razor? I once tried to encourage a member to do a shave off using a FB and a Red Tip.

I would like for someone to do a shave off with a FB and a $10 GEM Micromatic or a $8 Type E Schick Injector.

The reason for why we enjoy owning these tools is not just because they are razors. There is a history and experience we are after in which a FB cannot replace a Red Tip since both represent a step in the evolution of the safety razor.

If you like regular Super Speeds, you’ll love the Red Tip.

I have a fatboy and wouldn’t trade it away. I’ll use it set on 7 and will end up with a BBS. However, I can achieve a BBS with a red tip too, but will need an extra pass to get there. What I really like about the red tip is the heft, the knurling, the thickness of the handle and it’s just plain simple!

If it’s a choice between the red tip or fatboy, get both. If not, flip a coin because both are great razors.

Amazing how many red tips are out on the bay. Looks like a great razor. I have a really nice fat boy but haven’t given it the attention and number of shaves it deserves. One of those that looks so nice I hate to see it get soapy.

I consider myself a semi-collector. I enjoy owning different types of razors, but all the ones I own are for practical reasons (IE the shave experience is different).

I guess if I can get a virtually identical shave experience with my Fatboy, then I may just wait and see if a Red Tip falls into my lap for a price I cant pass up, rather than go out of my way to seek one out.
That is exactly it. I have two Fatboys 59 & 60 and I have a 57 Trio (Blue, Flair and Red Tip). Love each of them though the 59 is a cased mint example with all the goodies my 60 is the user and acquired for me by @REV579. I collect vintage and modern razors and I have to say the Red Tip is a great razor for the many reasons listed through out many threads on B&B. Do you need one? No of course not if you have a Fatboy you have it covered but having and using one is a different shave for sure.

Does the OP think the Fat Boy is the ultimate safety razor? I once tried to encourage a member to do a shave off using a FB and a Red Tip.

I would like for someone to do a shave off with a FB and a $10 GEM Micromatic or a $8 Type E Schick Injector.

The reason for why we enjoy owning these tools is not just because they are razors. There is a history and experience we are after in which a FB cannot replace a Red Tip since both represent a step in the evolution of the safety razor.
That would be me and yes it is still on the agenda...

You're asking a bunch of razor fiends to say you don't need a red tip? :001_rolle

You won't know what you're missing till you try one. If you don't like it, then put it on BST, it will sell quickly.

Everyone should try a regular Super Speed, a Red Tip, a Slim, and a Fatboy. A plain Jane Super Speed with a Feather or other sharp blade is a swell razor that gets too little love. A Red Tip is an Aristocrat made for the working man. Fatboys and Slims truly let you dial in your shave.

:)

A head's characteristic is defined by blade exposure, angle and gap and also weight. With an adjustable, like FB, you can not achieve all geometries. It is simply doing the adjustment by moving the blade together with the cap away from the base plate. This means you might be able to match the aggressiveness but not exactly the same shave.

A head's characteristic is defined by blade exposure, angle and gap and also weight. With an adjustable, like FB, you can not achieve all geometries. It is simply doing the adjustment by moving the blade together with the cap away from the base plate. This means you might be able to match the aggressiveness but not exactly the same shave.
Truth^

No, I do not think the Fatboy is the ultimate safety razor. Gillette New Improved is actually my favorite shave. I'm merely trying to gauge whether I should spend the extra money on a Red Tip because I can get a different shave with it vs a Fatboy or if I should spend my money elsewhere. If I can get an identical shave with a Fatboy, then I'd rather spend my money on soap, AS, or maybe even another razor.

From most of the posts, it sounds like the Red Tip provides a different shave experience however.

Thanks for all of the comments so far!

The Fatboy is a Tech (which is a New Long Comb with safety bar and stamped sheet metal) with a bunch of moving parts. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's certainly not my ultimate.

No, I do not think the Fatboy is the ultimate safety razor. Gillette New Improved is actually my favorite shave. I'm merely trying to gauge whether I should spend the extra money on a Red Tip because I can get a different shave with it vs a Fatboy or if I should spend my money elsewhere. If I can get an identical shave with a Fatboy, then I'd rather spend my money on soap, AS, or maybe even another razor.

From most of the posts, it sounds like the Red Tip provides a different shave experience however.

The red tips puts you in the drivers seat

Spend it elsewhere unless you approach it from the standpoint that it is a temporary investment. As I've stated earlier if you get one cheap enough like under $20 unlike some other razors you won't have any problems reselling it right away and getting out what you spent on resale as long as you don't over price it at that point.

Argument against would be not buying a red tip if the Fat Boy does what you want to do without any issues. The red tip won't perform much differently than a Fat Boy when set as close as possible. In the main Gillette made their adjustables to be equivalent on some setting(s) to what ever non adjustable TTO razors the were selling in the same time frame. It should be an apples to apples or almost apples equivalent for a Fat Boy and a 50s style flare tip, blue tip, red tip depending which year your Fat Boy is.

The argument for in this case is if you want to know for sure, would be to buy or borrow and use the razor(s) depending which you want to know and use them as references to set your Fat Boy. Same investment principle applies if you get them cheap enough. Depends if you want to know where the equivalent settings are for your Fat Boy is what it comes down to.

The argument against if you want to know for sure then do you trust the knowledge base here is actually knowledgeable and not some parrot echo chamber?

I would say get the Red Tip instead of a Fat Boy.
I have three and use them much more often. One of my all time favorites.
The other is the Tech, go figure!
I got my Fat Boy and Slim replated, but they basically sit in a drawer.

Top Bottom