What's new

Reason to buy a Red Tip?

If I own a Fatboy is there really any reason to get a Red Tip or can I effectively get the same shave at a certain setting IE 7 or 8?

Recently I've been going back and forth on purchasing one because of all the great feedback it gets on this forum, but I don't really want to if I can essentially get the exact same shave from my Fatboy.

so, what are the thoughts from shavers who have used both of these razors? Thanks!

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
If you’re just ‘user’, the Fatboy is all you need. If you like to ‘collect’, then you will enjoy a Red Tip.

I think you can dial the Fatboy it in to be the same. I'm not sure how you can do it without buying/borrowing the Red-Tip to do the comparison as I am doubtful if my experience would match yours, etc. But, being honest, when I bought a Red-Tip I kind of stopped using the other Gillettes. I'm guessing it has a lot to do with the blade you use also (Feather for me.)

I have a Red Tip that I am rather fond of. I recently acquired a Fat Boy adjustable and consider it a good replacement for all my Blue, Flare, Red tip and my Black handle. I really like the Fat Boy.

I have a Slim adjustable too, and like the heft of the Fat Boy better. The slim is nice and gives me about the same shave quality, but I'm really liking the Fat Boy more and more the more I use it.

If you’re just ‘user’, the Fatboy is all you need. If you like to ‘collect’, then you will enjoy a Red Tip.

I consider myself a semi-collector. I enjoy owning different types of razors, but all the ones I own are for practical reasons (IE the shave experience is different).

I guess if I can get a virtually identical shave experience with my Fatboy, then I may just wait and see if a Red Tip falls into my lap for a price I cant pass up, rather than go out of my way to seek one out.

One consideration is with red tips if you get one cheap enough and if you don't like it, you are in essence paying for a rental so resell it on the BST here or on ebay. You should have no problems reselling it afterwards unlike some other razors as long as you don't price it to expensive.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I consider myself a semi-collector. I enjoy owning different types of razors, but all the ones I own are for practical reasons (IE the shave experience is different).

I guess if I can get a virtually identical shave experience with my Fatboy, then I may just wait and see if a Red Tip falls into my lap for a price I cant pass up, rather than go out of my way to seek one out.
By your definition, you’ll want to get a RT. It is a different experience because of knurling, balance and ‘cool factor.’

I would guess that, for me, the red tip resembles maybe a 4 or 5 on the fat boy.

Even if you disagree with me by a setting or two, there is still plenty of room to make a Fatboy act like a Redtip.

I like the shave on the Tip, and I love the girth and texture of the handle , but I regretfully discovered that I don't like the balance. Too much weight in the handle, and less in the head.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
By your definition, you’ll want to get a RT. It is a different experience because of knurling, balance and ‘cool factor.’
This! Other than the fact the Red Tip doesn't need the extra eight settings because its already on the perfect one, I think both razors feel distinctly different in the hand. The Fatboy has more size and heft. The Red Tip feels more nimble and better balanced, but still has a good weighty feel. BTW, going by blade gap, the Red Tip is more like a 5 on the Fatboy. But I think its more efficient than that would indicate.

Since I've come to appreciate SuperSpeeds and Rockets, a user-grade Red Tip is something that I would buy if I found one in the wild, but I will not be scouring eBay listings for one.
I do have a Slim.

Shaved with vintage Williams tonight with my 56 Red Tip, they go together like bacon and eggs. Washed it all down with some Aqua Velva.

I say get one. It might have a touch less blade feel than setting 7 or 8 but will be a pleasure.

I had a red tip that got overshadowed by my fat boy (usually set to 9). I was still learning technique and was preferring razors with more blade feel, so I traded my red tip away. I had a case of sellers remorse and finally traded for a red tip again. Had 3 great shaves with it this week.

Top Bottom