What's new

Reason for Rotation

I've noticed a consistant theme while delving the deaths of B&B, people like to rotate their brushes. I am wondering if there is a reason beyond wanting to share the love between several of your treasured knots. Does rotating brushes increase their life, or is the motivation solely sentimental?

I'd say it's good to let a brush dry completely after using it, so the more brushes in your rotation the more drying time for each one. Also if you have multiple brushes you want to use them all.

1. Variety
2. IMO brushes should be allowed to dry out completely for 48 hours between uses (extended lifespan)
3. I prefer a larger knot with a few days of growth
4. Not all brushes perform the same with a large variety of soaps
5. It's a good excuse to collect more brushes

I use a Simpson Colonel, Semogue OC boar and a BB essential. That's all I have, and all I need. Adding the BB gold fleck was a stretch, but I couldn't resist that one.

I reckon it's a good idea to have at least two brushes, to let each dry properly between uses, but it's certainly not necessary. The main thing is I just like using a variety of brushes, depending on my mood.

1. Variety
2. IMO brushes should be allowed to dry out completely for 48 hours between uses (extended lifespan)
I agree - the only one I will add is that for some it is a hobby like collecting coins, stamps, ...
I have 7 brushes and I enjoy having them on display as a part of my overall den.

1. Variety

Agree with all this, Specially #2 and #5.

It's all about mood for me. Some days I'm in more of a boar kind of mood, and other days I'm in a badger with alopecia kind of mood.

I like the look of them on display. I have trimmed down to seven. With one being a three band badger. The rest are Semogue boars. When I get ready to heat up the scuttle I just pick one that seems to suit me that morning.

I'm going to take a stab and say variety.

Probably the most common answer.

I'd say it's good to let a brush dry completely after using it, so the more brushes in your rotation the more drying time for each one.

Some people can give a brush full month or two to completely dry out.

Rotation is simply an excuse to help feed an addiction.

Probably the most true answer.

All the above and while it may take some time (maybe decades) a brush is not a permanent item so rotating improves the lifespan.

True, but probably not a real reason.

A lot will also argue that boars work better for soaps, badgers for creams and croaps, so you need a few of each.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Variety more than anything else. Personally, I don't subscribe to "must completely dry between uses". I generally use the same brush for about 2 weeks, then switch. Never had a problem.

Top Bottom