What's new

Really worth it?

I just wanted to ask this question.

I just watched one of amishmotorboat's gold plated (well, some of the plating was left) sell on the bay for $6.10 with shipping of about $2.25. That's a total of $8.35

Now I ask, would you pay $8 for a Milord in that condition in the wild? I know I would pass on it. Now maybe if I was planning on replating it ... maybe, if I knew for certain it wasn't dinged or pitted, which he plainly states in the listing that it probably does have dings and dents.

So is it worth it?

I just wanted to ask this question.

I just watched one of amishmotorboat's gold plated (well, some of the plating was left) sell on the bay for $6.10 with shipping of about $2.25. That's a total of $8.35

Now I ask, would you pay $8 for a Milord in that condition in the wild? I know I would pass on it. Now maybe if I was planning on replating it ... maybe, if I knew for certain it wasn't dinged or pitted, which he plainly states in the listing that it probably does have dings and dents.

So is it worth it?

Honestly, I don't see many Milords around. 99.99% of the razors out there aren't serious collector grade pieces. If I wanted one to actually use I would pay that much for it.

I have a lot of nice razors in great shape. That being said, I almost exclusively use beaters. I know some guys like using pristine shaving implements, but if I have a duplicate I'd rather use one thats already taken the brunt of wear and tear.

razors, among other things, are worth what someone is willing to pay for them. You stated it was not worth it to you. Would you pay 90 bucks for a mint Fatboy? I wouldn't, don't care much for'em. I would shell out 8 bucks for a beat up Milord if I thought it could still shave well. Looks aren't everything to me. Plus for 8 bucks I could PIF it. I have bought a few razors for the soul intent was to PIF it.

Good point. Some folks like a functional razor, no matter what it looks like. I prefer a tool that is looking pretty nice AND shaves well. I could never stand the temptation of buying a NOS fatboy and just not use it. Because it is so pretty and clean and shiny. I would only pay $99 if I had money to burn though.

If I am going to pay for a razor, whether it is to PIF or use, I do want it to be looking as nice I can get it. But I couldn't justify spending $8 on a razor with severe plate loss and dings. Maybe I am just cheap :sigh:

Early Milords are not that plentiful . . . I'm surprised it didn't sell for more!

Gotta give a real +100 to Amish for his honest listing. There are gentlemen selling stuff on eBay . . . not everyone out there is evil . . . :devil:

Got this Milord with case for around $12.00 IIRC - has plenty of finish wear (which is why I don't like gold-plated razors) but guess I'll keep it!:001_smile

p.s. the cased Sheraton set me back $15.00:biggrin1:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Early Milord that's guaranteed functional for $8 delivered?? Sounds fair to me.

We don't all live in an area where we can just head out and pick up $3 razors in antique stores.

An $8.00 razor that works and a Milord at that is certainly worth the money.
That style (40s) is the best.

I have picked up many (we're talking triple digits) razors in the wild.
I have only found one Milord.

/me makes value correction.

I didn't realize Milords were that rare. Now, I guess, $8 doesn't look that out of whack. Thanks for the feedback!

Early Milords are not that plentiful . . . I'm surprised it didn't sell for more!

Gotta give a real +100 to Amish for his honest listing. There are gentlemen selling stuff on eBay . . . not everyone out there is evil . . . :devil:

Agreed! +1000 -> Amishmotorboat!

Top Bottom