What's new

Really Starting To Love My Parker Variant Adjustable

I bought my Parker Variant almost 2 months ago after using only my Edwin Jagger DE89 for a very long time.
At first, I found the Variant to be too aggressive from setting 2.5 and above. I really wanted to love this razor but I kept getting lots of irritation and some weepers every time I used it, regardless of what blade I used. Leaving the setting under 2 all the time defeats the purpose of having an adjustable in the first place.
But I did not give up. I changed my technique and forced myself to use a very light touch. This is a heavy razor and it easy to forget that you're adding more pressure than you should. Especially since the DE89 is much lighter.
I can say I've finally mastered this razor and it pairs well with Personna Lab Blue or Astra SP blades. Won't be trying it out with an Feather any time soon though.
For now, I select setting 3 for my first pass with the grain. Setting 2 for my across and against the grain passes. I ride the cap and this really works wonders. For my clean up pass, I go up to 4 and use no pressure at all.
No nicks, no irritation, no weepers etc. I think my Edwin Jagger and Merkur 34C will be taking a much needed break for a while. For those who love this razor,I guess you know what I mean. For those interested in it, I highly recommend it.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

I have had a progress for several years, but recently acquired a Variant. I am enjoying it. They both have a place in my den.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Always good to find that a razor in your stable is a good one.

Top Bottom