What's new

Really, really enjoyable morning at the range.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Took my 1941 P-38 to the range today with a 100 9mms. Came home with the P-38 and an empty box.

proxy.php

It had begun giving me troubles some time ago so it got a SPA day and new springs all around. Today was the first outing since it had its vacation and once again I'm simply blown away by just how nice this old thing shoots. In particular it's a joy shooting it one handed from either weak or strong side. The recoil is very much like an SAA; more just roll up, roll down, back on POA; do it again. I seriously think it's one gun I could shoot continuously all day long nearly effortlessly.

Now if only I could train my batman to load magazines and hand them to me on time.

Last edited:
Nice!

My favorite of the Green River patterns there with it too.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I'm envious, always wanted a P-38. Either the pistol or the airplane would do. I have the GI can opener (also known as a P-38).

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Of all the pistols I own this is without a doubt the one that I enjoy shooting one handed.

In its Bucheimer holster:
proxy.php

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Sweet. Is it a "byf" Mauser or other?

And - most importantly - does the ejected brass hit you in the forehead?, a known P-38 trait. It's the reason the German troops were so bad tempered ... :1eye: "Ach! Mein eye!"

I did take the chamber-loaded indicator out of mine to help with this.

It is the grandfather of many of today's autos ...

AA

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Sweet. Is it a "byf" Mauser or other?

And - most importantly - does the ejected brass hit you in the forehead?, a known P-38 trait. It's the reason the German troops were so bad tempered ... :1eye: "Ach! Mein eye!"

I did take the chamber-loaded indicator out of mine to help with this.

It is the grandfather of many of today's autos ...

AA
It's an "ac" so a Walther Walther. And yes, it has been known to toss hot brass selectively. All matching parts as well. Also with the 359 stamp.

AbE:

Most likely the 380th P38 Walther made in August of 1941. Mauser didn't start making P38s until 1942 IIRC.

Last edited:

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I'm envious, always wanted a P-38. Either the pistol or the airplane would do. I have the GI can opener (also known as a P-38).
Me too. Got the can opener in my pocket now. I have a P-1 at home, so I guess that satisfies my urge for the gun, but does nothing for airplane craving.

Top Bottom