What's new

Really nice scrubby brush?

My semi-custom Shavemac in pure badger has turned out to be a great little scrubber. It does feel a little smaller than it's 23mm size due to less bloom and the light bulb shape. I think it was a great purchase at $54.00.
Cheers, DJ.

Here is a side by side pic of my Shavemac in pure ( the blue one ) and the same size brush in silvertip ( black brush )

Excellent looking brush. I'm going to go ahead and get another Shavemac it looks like; a pure to add alongside my Silvertip.

I would consider my Duke 3 to be fairly scrubby. It's quite a bit stiffer and packed more densely than my silvertip Shavemac...also has quite a bit less give.

Yes, for some reason though I kind of want to keep all my brushes one brand anyway. Looks like I'm getting another Shavemac. Terrible, now I'm thinking of getting a Finest too, to round out my collection! Someone slap me! What is the point of having in-between Pure and Silvertip when I already have both Pure and Silvertip themselves!

javyn said:
Yes, for some reason though I kind of want to keep all my brushes one brand anyway. Looks like I'm getting another Shavemac. Terrible, now I'm thinking of getting a Finest too, to round out my collection! Someone slap me! What is the point of having in-between Pure and Silvertip when I already have both Pure and Silvertip themselves!
Symptom of advanced SBAD.. That's so when you start your second collection of brushes, you can readily organize them by brand.:001_tt1:

I think you may be right, Ron. When I ordered the SMFII, I was thinking this is the last brush I will ever need. The day I used it, I was thinking, wouldn't it be nice to have a Pure in this size! Now I'm thinking, once I get the Pure, it will be the last brush I ever need....I'm sure when the day comes...it will be more like "I wonder what a Plisson/Simpsons/Rooney/Saville Row is like" gah!

I went ahead and did it...not only got the pearl imitation pure grade, but also the black & gold ring finest, and threw in a tube of Tabac!

javyn said:
I went ahead and did it...not only got the pearl imitation pure grade, but also the black & gold ring finest, and threw in a tube of Tabac!

:thumbup: Nice! Do be sure to post a pic when you get it.

javyn said:
I think you may be right, Ron. When I ordered the SMFII, I was thinking this is the last brush I will ever need. The day I used it, I was thinking, wouldn't it be nice to have a Pure in this size! Now I'm thinking, once I get the Pure, it will be the last brush I ever need....I'm sure when the day comes...it will be more like "I wonder what a Plisson/Simpsons/Rooney/Saville Row is like" gah!
Can you spell PROPHETIC?:wink2:

Yes, yes, you were right Ron :)

I needed some new brushes though because I am concerned about the longevity of the wood handled SMFII being used as everyday. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Seriously though, the life of that brush does concern me.

javyn said:
Yes, yes, you were right Ron :)

I needed some new brushes though because I am concerned about the longevity of the wood handled SMFII being used as everyday. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Seriously though, the life of that brush does concern me.
Used daily? Rinsed and dried properly? 10 years give or take a decade.

I dry the handle, shake the bristles, then flick them against a towel a few times. Bone dry by the time I get home from work, so yeah I think I dry it pretty well. I've also added a few coats of oil based polyurethane to the handle. Still, it's made of wood! Still makes for a fine brush though.

I'm really looking forward to using the high quality Pure on my Will G soaps. I know it's been said repeatedly that boar brushes make a better/faster lather in soaps, but I just don't see that at all.

Top Bottom