What's new

Real speakeasy

I’d been there before.
Hanover Street in Liverpool city centre.
It’s a busy street with bars and restaurants and shops with brightly lit sign fronts.
The human traffic rushes by on this February night, all in a rush to get where they’re going.
Unnoticed by the passing eaters and the shoppers and the heading-homers is a tiny blacked out door and window maybe just ten, maybe fifteen feet across and stuck between two shops. It seems to stand still in the flow of traffic and people and even time.
There are no signs above the door, no lettering in fact no indication at all that it’s anything other than a disused abandoned old front with its black door and blacked out windows.
We stop at the black door.
My girlfriend looks at me quizzically.
She like most people, doesn’t know of its existence.
I rap three times with my knuckle on the window.
The door opens very slightly and a pair of pretty eyes appear.
‘Got a table for two?’ I ask.
She smiles and opens the door. ‘Come in,’ .
We enter and she closes the door behind us.
We walk into a long and narrow dimly lit bar with 1920’s music ringing from an old piano being played at the end of the bar
The place is busy, a barman shakes a cocktail shaker noisily behind the bar, and the waitresses take orders at the tables.
The bar is themed on a 1920’s speakeasy. It’s dimly lit with period memorabilia and photos on the walls.
There are small lamp lit booths with tables along the wall and a bar on the opposite wall where they have many rare and unusual whiskys and spirits.
The waitress takes us to a booth and passes us each an old hardback book.
We open the book at the bookmark to see the drinks menu hidden from sight in case the prohibition police raid the place.
I order a double Lagavulin and a mocktail for my girlfriend who is pregnant.
She’s blown away by the place and how cool it is.
A little piece of the past hidden away in plain sight.
It doesn’t advertise itself, it hides itself and being in there gives the feeling of being one of the few ‘in fhe know’.
I just saw this ‘Speakeasy’ forum here on B&B and thought any of you visiting Liverpool would love the place.
What a little gem, and as close to a real speakeasy as it gets 100 years on in 2022.

5459B6C5-96D5-4DB0-BD11-FFBF0C81815C.jpeg

9FBF7F01-8552-4E48-B082-7A874F1409C5.jpeg
149FB1DA-7913-4AD6-9594-7BF63CDD7421.jpeg
3A9ACFC5-3D3D-40CF-9C06-15A413702870.jpeg

9671F6F7-7B9A-4F7F-8639-728EA2A2615A.jpeg

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
One more reason to get to Liverpool!

Mrs. TL and I love places like that. It's not the period ambiance, either. It's the real, honest-to-goodness bar.

Cheers!

Top Bottom