What's new

Real Silvertip brushes

Hi Guys,

Relatively new to the traditional shaving world here and just had a couple questions regarding silver tip badger brushes.

What are some of the best ways and things to look out for in a brush that is being advertised as 'silvertip' badger? I know many manufacturers have different definitions for products, but I didn't wanna fork out a decent amount of money for it to not be the quality as what it's advertised.

Also, I seen around online that Nathan Clark (Envy Shave) brushes are of a high quality, especially the badger range and wanted to know if he is still selling brushes or is contactable? Have searched around a bit and haven't been able to find any website/contact details around.

Thanks!

If you stick to the big names you can be confident of getting what you pay for. Shavemac is very well regarded but there are many others.

@Rudy Vey I can recommend this great brush maker 1000% what you ask for is what you get here is one he made for a group buy here on Badger & Blade

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

And I can tell you its a fantastic brush but I had to knot it as we cannot ship badger hair from the states.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
As with most things you generally get what you pay for. As a new shaver, be aware that you could purchase a top quality silvertip badger from a reputable dealer, and then not like it at all. Silvertip is soft but many people, myself included, do not like that; I suggest trying a few inexpensive brushes and finding out what you like.

Simpson and Shavemac are both very good. A custom from Rudy Vey would be very good. Bear in mind that natural bristle varies quite a lot. Silvertip will generally be soft and silky but the gauge of the bristle can vary and so can the nature of the tips. In general it is soft, fairly thin gauge so flexible and holds water and heat well.

I never have any reservations about buying used brushes. After all the badgers dig holes in the ground and generally get into stuff. A rinse in warm borax solution and conditioning is all that I do to new brushes.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
If you enjoy a badger with a little back bone and soft tips for great painting I would suggest a 2 band badger(Finest).
If you you like to just paint lather mostly, a silvertip badger(usually a 3 band) is a good choice. I have silver tips that are good at scrubbing & lather painting but are higher density knots and hairs are a little finer than say a pure badger I noticed. 24mm knot is what I recommend unless you are into head shaving where a big knot works better possibly. I bowl lather so I have lots of lather regardless when applying lather to my face.

Savile Row makes really soft silvertip brushes and quite pricey. Word of caution though because their brushes are a little floppy and not alot of backbone.

Top Bottom