What's new

Real Shaving Company: How to Describe the Scent?

I think "The Real Shaving Company" performs about equally to TOBS, and thus recommend it highly to budget minded newbies. It's one of the few shaving creams widely available locally for many of us here in the US.

(I can get Real Shaving, C.O. Bigelow, Williams, Kiss My Face-Unscented, and VDH locally.)

Just wondering, how would you accurately describe the scent? The best I can do is "unique" or "woodsy". lol. :w00t::w00t:

I also use The Real Shaving Co., partly due to price (since it is a bit cheaper than Proraso) and also due to the variety of smells.

I use the Sensitive skincare formula - though there are many others to choose from.

I would say woodsy is pretty accurate. I also notice some citrus, and a fresh scent that you get from those old fashioned soaps.

I see this over at Rite-Aid all the time but have never bought any....as nice as TOBS eh?

It's supposedly made in the same factory as some of the three T's.

I would say it's as nice as TOBS, except for the "unique" scent. The scent is not repulsive, but it's certainly not as luxurious as TOBS Rose, or Lavender. But for less than half the cost of a tub of TOBS, you have nothing to lose in giving it a whirl.

I am going to shave with it for the next week or so, to become more accustomed to the scent. :biggrin::cool:

I don't know how to describe the scent of RSC, but I find it to be pretty faint to start, even more so in the lather and gone when I rinse my face.

So, scentwise not much to say about this cream but, in terms of performance, RSC makes a slick, cushioning lather that is as good, or better, than any of the 3 T's.

RSC is really good stuff; the price just makes it an even better value.

My sense of smell isn't the greatest; but, I think "woodsy" isn't a bad summary.

that's the 'biggest' note I get from it - and don't really care for the scent at all...its too bad, as it IS a good cream

I think RSC ranks as one of the best values in creams. I believe it's made by Creighton's who do indeed make a lot of product for "the three T's."

I found the the scent a little off putting the first few times out. It's kind of a synthetic "woodsy" effort. Not quite a cross between one of those pine tree things you'd hang off a vehicle's rear view mirror and a urinal puck but definitely not as nice as something off the top shelf. Fortunately for me, I got past that and actually quite enjoy it now. Of course, I've also decided that once that weird top note of Davidoff Cool Water burns off the scent of that is also acceptable so...

Regards,

Les

I've tried the sensitive formula. It is quite concetrated stuff. I use less than my tobs and it produces about as much lather.

Does anyone find that it 'stings' a little?

Thanks

Quite the opposite for me. I've had problems with a bit of "bite" with several name brand creams, and RSC Sensitive and JM Fraser's are two that don't do that to me. I suspect some of us have different reactions to different ingredients in creams and soaps and a product that works for one person may not do the same for another.

Having said that, I found that as my technique improved I noticed that creams I thought I didn't like or couldn't use became much more agreeable. While never suffering from "razor burn" in the extreme, I think I was probably roughing my skin up a bit too much at one time and was feeling the effect of that more than having a bad reaction to the product I was shaving with.

Regards,

Les

I've tried the sensitive formula. It is quite concetrated stuff. I use less than my tobs and it produces about as much lather.

Thanks

Interesting that you found the sensitive formula the one that stings. I use the same one, and receive no irritation. Do you apply any kind of cream or lotion before the shave?

EDIT - After my shave tonight I noticed the stinging! It could be due to applying a lather that is too thick and dry - which i tend to do. Hate watery suds dripping down my neck. But I will try it out tomorrow with extra hydration. Should solve the problem.

Last edited:
I tried the standard formula....the scent is very faint. I get a bit of lime with mild woods. Certainly nothing memorable, but nothing bad or odd though.

Nice shave too...for $5 a tube it is a bargain and I would agree it is very TOBS like in its performance.

Which RSC cream? There are three -- from what I can tell, two of them are "old" and have been replaced by a single cream.

The old ones are Moisturising and Sensitive. I haven't tried the Sensitive but the Moisturising is my favorite cream. It beats TOBS, Proraso/Bigelow, Cade, Body Shop Maca Root, Headslick, and KMF. The scent is predominantly the medicinal scent of tea tree oil, which I like. There is also a really nice, musky note in the background. It leaves my skin feeling great!

However, I believe this cream has been discontinued (as has the Sensitive) and RSC now only has one shaving cream, what they call Traditional. I haven't tried it yet, but hopefully it is as good as the Moisturising. If you take a gander at their website you'll see the only shave cream listed is the Traditional (the rest are gels). I think there is still a lot of stock here in the US (RSC's US website still shows the old flavors) so we'll probably see them around for a while yet, but the mother ship no longer makes them.

PS - As for scents, my favorite aftershave to use with the Moisturising is Gillette Coolwave. They are in the same vein, not identical but certainly complementary.

Last edited:
Top Bottom