What's new

Real Ivory?? Real??

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Or not?? In the past have made my share of real pre-ban ivory brushes. Ivory is such a classic material for shaving brush handles.
But I have not made an ivory brush for many years; mainly because of the unclear law situations.
Finally a new imitation ivory material was developed which looks, feel and can be worked (turned, sanded and polished) like real ivory. Even the typical markings are found in the material. It has the same feel and approx weight of real ivory. I just received my first samples Friday and made a classic Persian Jar today from it (knot is a two-band Manchurian White, 24x48 mm). Check it out:
the first two pictures show the new material, the last one is from the past and shows the bottom end of an ivory brush. If someone is interested in this brush, or something different made with the new "real" imitation ivory, contact me:

[email protected]

IMG_4083.JPG
IMG_4084.JPG
IMG_2169.JPG

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
That is VERY pretty, Rudy. Material and shape. I think I need one, but I have to wait a while.

Rudy Vey

That is very cool, Rudy. Now does the cost of the synthetic material compare to the real thing?
Not at all. This ivory imitation is not as cheap as a resins, but much cheaper than the real stuff.

captp

That is VERY pretty, Rudy. Material and shape. I think I need one, but I have to wait a while.
I couldn't wait. It's on its way to me. I can't resist a classic Persian Jar. Plus, I finally get to try a Manchurian Knot.
Rudy, whose Manchurian is it?

I heard that Mammoth ivory was legal. Though I don't know how they figure out it's Mammoth ivory from any other elephant short of a DNA test.

Rudy Vey

One can differentiate mammoth and elephant ivory by the different angles of the "Schreger" lines:

Ivory Identification Guide - U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Forensics Laboratory

The problem with mammoth is that it is rarely found in good solid pieces, but often separate in layers, like rings on a tree. One can get scales or grip scales for guns, but I have not seen a shaving brush made from ivory, although there might be some.

One can differentiate mammoth and elephant ivory by the different angles of the "Schreger" lines:

Ivory Identification Guide - U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Forensics Laboratory

The problem with mammoth is that it is rarely found in good solid pieces, but often separate in layers, like rings on a tree. One can get scales or grip scales for guns, but I have not seen a shaving brush made from ivory, although there might be some.
Interesting read, thank you. I heard their are quite a lot of mostly to completely intact tusks, here is a decent amount of them from an illegal catch by the Chinese police. Haul of mammoth tusks 'hidden in truck'

From what I've seen of the photos it is the best replacement. I understand another brush I have in alternative ivory is rated as museum quality for ivory replacement, but I can't see it. I have an Ivory Persian Jar 2 style Rudy made, and this material matches that ivory brush.

That's really great!

I hope this material is used in other item production and gets rid of real ivory demand!!

I'm no hippie but ivory harvesting is just plain evil!!

Just received my Rudy Vey persian jar faux ivory, TGN 2 band finest. I have to say, I think it's gorgeous! Thank you Rudy!

IMG_1390.JPG

IMG_1391.JPG

IMG_1393.JPG

captp

@dmsimshaver
Beautiful brush and knot. I'm almost jealous...almost; I have that same handle with Rudy's Manchurian.

captp

There is no pattern so it must be the plain faux ivory.
Thank you, I agree with your assessment, it is beautiful. I hope it won’t be my only Rudy Vey brush.
I have the actual brush pictured in the OP. Pix can't really do that pattern justice.
Rudy's brushes are just a little addictive, so you should be getting at least a few more. I have 9 RVs + 1 I will probably be offering to the Auction (2nd year in a row for the same one; I outbid everyone for my own brush)

Top Bottom