What's new

Ready to take the next step

First time poster here...

A little bit of intro first: Having been born and raised in good 'ole USSR, I still have vivid memories of my dad shaving with double edge safety razors. However, by the time I hit puberty and started shaving myself (late 80's), I already had access to disposable Gillette and Schick razors/blades which is what I've been using (mostly due to convenience factor) up until a couple of months ago...

Somehow/somewhere online I ran across a Merkur Futur razor, and I just thought that it looked wicked cool. My curiosity was peaked, and I started doing some reading/research. Long story short, I've already accumulated a number of razors and have tried various blades as well. All of my razors are in $15-55 range. So far my favorites are: 1) Rockwell 6C (amazing daily shave with a 4 plate, Personna blade, and Proraso shaving cream); 2) Razorock GameChanger .84-P (works well with Astra blades for me); and 3) Razorock German 37 Slant (works best if I skip a day). I also have Razorock MJ-90A which I have yet to try (new in the box), and a few others that are not even worth mentioning. In addition, I returned a couple that I thought were either awful (Parker Semi Slant - worst shave ever) or just simply scared me away after a couple of bloodbath shaves (Muhle R41 OC - one of the best looking razors that I've seen but I was afraid to even go by it).

So here I am once again at the crossroads... looking for something else to try and satisfy my itch. I have done a ton of reading on this site as well as others... I have searched high and low... but I still can't make a decision on what my next razor is going to be. I've seen numerous top 3/5 lists, and many of them have the usual suspects, i.e. Rex Ambassador, Blackbird, Timeless, Tatara, Feather, Karve, etc. So let's say money is no object (within reason, of course. I'm not planning on paying $500 for a used razor simply because of how rare it is). If I were to add just ONE (for now) out of these "bad boys" to my collection which one would you recommend (and why)? Any help is greatly appreciated.

As your next step on your razor journey, I would recommend buying a single edge GEM Micromatic and some GEM blades. After shaving with double edge razors, I began buying various vintage single edge GEMs and was amazed at the superior performance. Single edge blades are thicker and more ridged than single edge and are less likely to nick your skin than double edge in my experience. The GEMs also are more efficient so I usually do only one pass on my fairly coarse beard. Since GEMs can be bought for bargain prices compared to vintage Gillettes, you won't be out much if you decide SE is not for you. Good luck.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I see you have a GameChanger. I do not, but I often see guys post here that the GameChanger is at least as good as some of their more expensive razors. Certainly the RazoRock razors hit a very high mark for quality and shave experience.

As for the "bad boys" that's so YMMV that I can't give you much advice. I know what I like, but I don't know what you like. My suggestion is to explore slants in a bit more detail. The German 37 is a great razor, and to my experience shaves much the same as the Merkur 37. It can be a bit "close" so I also don't use one every day.

There are a lot of slants out there in the mid-mild range. There are some that offer more challenges, such as the RazoRock Wunderbar. I think you might find some of the less aggressive slants a good place to start: Parker SemiSlant, PAA "Monster" slants, iKon X3, Above the Tie S1 or S2 or X1, and of course the Fatip Open Comb Slant (FOCS).

If you're getting a great shave from a very inexpensive razor, that's no cause for discomfort. If you're getting a cruddy shave from an expensive razor, then that's a cue that maybe you need to look around a bit more.

O.H.

I see you have a GameChanger. I do not, but I often see guys post here that the GameChanger is at least as good as some of their more expensive razors. Certainly the RazoRock razors hit a very high mark for quality and shave experience.

As for the "bad boys" that's so YMMV that I can't give you much advice. I know what I like, but I don't know what you like. My suggestion is to explore slants in a bit more detail. The German 37 is a great razor, and to my experience shaves much the same as the Merkur 37. It can be a bit "close" so I also don't use one every day.

There are a lot of slants out there in the mid-mild range. There are some that offer more challenges, such as the RazoRock Wunderbar. I think you might find some of the less aggressive slants a good place to start: Parker SemiSlant, PAA "Monster" slants, iKon X3, Above the Tie S1 or S2 or X1, and of course the Fatip Open Comb Slant (FOCS).

If you're getting a great shave from a very inexpensive razor, that's no cause for discomfort. If you're getting a cruddy shave from an expensive razor, then that's a cue that maybe you need to look around a bit more.

O.H.
Thank you for a quick reply. I'm mostly a daily shaver and I feel like slants tend to be a bit much for daily use. Every now and then I use my German 37 and yes, it works very well when I skipped a shave (or two). Hence, it's in my current top 3 list. Also, you must have missed the bit of Parker SemiSlant in my original post. It was by far THE worst shave of my life. I can't exactly pinpoint as to why but even after 2 passes (which is my norm), I looked like a homeless person with patches of stubble here and there.

So, what is it you hope to improve over what you already have? Sounds like you are getting good results now. Is there something missing?
I think it's something that people on this forum call RAD (Razor Acquisition Disorder). It could also be a bit of a FOMO (Fear of Missing Out) syndrome. To answer your question Yes, I get good shaves with what I have but could they be even better with a more expensive/extravagant razor? That's what I would like to find out. I'm someone who appreciates fine things in life whether it's a nice car or a well made razor. Some are not just a pleasure/joy to use but even look at. For example, I know that Tatara's are held in very high regard here and get rave reviews from almost everyone. And sure, they might be excellent razors but I will not buy one simply because I don't like the look of their handles. I've pretty much narrowed my choices to Timeless or Karve for now but thought I'd ask for more suggestions/recommendations. Hopefully, it'll satisfy my cravings for now but at some point in the future I will likely try and get my hands on an adjustable razor. I've got my eyes on either Rocnel or Homelike Shaving Taiga.

...I get good shaves with what I have but could they be even better with a more expensive/extravagant razor? That's what I would like to find out...
In my somewhat limited experience, more expensive is not necessarily going to give you a better shave. You might like having something nice or unique, all the same.

Of the ones you are considering, my opinions of the ones I am familiar with:

Rex Ambassador - might be too blade forward for your taste.
Blackland Blackbird - very efficient, smooth, unique razor on the upper end of medium aggression.
Karve - wonderful buttery smooth shave, like the Rockwell, but with a beautiful work of art.
Timeless - they are very beautiful, and from what I have read very smooth. I would love to try one of the SS models. I have the aluminum, which I love, but it is medium aggression with some blade feel.
You did not mention it, but I'll put in a plug for my personal favorite razor: Yates Precision 921 M. Mild razor with surprising efficiency, especially if you favor a steep angle.

In my somewhat limited experience, more expensive is not necessarily going to give you a better shave. You might like having something nice or unique, all the same.
It is very possible that I may end up disappointed... but as they say, you won't know until you try it. Just from aesthetics point of view some of these things (razors) look like works of art. And I always tend to be more satisfied (could be just a placebo effect) when I use something that looks and costs more than your average thing. I guess this goes back to the old Honda vs BMW debate. Both will get you from point A to point B but the latter will do it in style so to speak, albeit for a higher price.

Of the ones you are considering, my opinions of the ones I am familiar with:

Rex Ambassador - might be too blade forward for your taste.
Blackland Blackbird - very efficient, smooth, unique razor on the upper end of medium aggression.
Karve - wonderful buttery smooth shave, like the Rockwell, but with a beautiful work of art.
Timeless - they are very beautiful, and from what I have read very smooth. I would love to try one of the SS models. I have the aluminum, which I love, but it is medium aggression with some blade feel.
You did not mention it, but I'll put in a plug for my personal favorite razor: Yates Precision 921 M. Mild razor with surprising efficiency, especially if you favor a steep angle.
I have gone back and forth on the Rex but I don't think I'm ready for it just yet. Blackland - for some reason most of their designs just don't tickle my fancy. Not sure why. I may re-visit them in the future. As I said earlier, I'm pretty much set on either Timeless or Karve at this point but I will definitely take a look at Yates (I've heard of the company but haven't really explored it in detail). Thank you for the recommendation. Another brand that I ran across today for the first time is Charcoal Goods. Would love some feedback on it as well.

Reactions: ewk
The good news is you cannot go wrong with any of those choices; they are all excellent high-end products that are a joy to use. There is only so much you can learn from reading; experiencing it yourself is the only way to really know. You may hate the Yates; I was just sharing what works for me. And I got the basic setup used, and added accessories/plates from Yates direcly (a great co. to do business with).

If you are patient, the best thing to do is keep an eye on BST and scratch & dent pages. Most of my razors are either used or from scratch & dent. They are still excellent, and it cost me a little less to learn what I like and don't like. Or, if $ is no object, just go ahead and try! You will get a good portion of your cost back on resale for quality razors.

If you’re looking for a confirmation bias I might be able to “help”. I have the Karve SS And Timeless Titanium. Both are fantastic razors. Extremely well built, and I always enjoy shaving with them! I have the SB-A,B,C,D and OC-A plates for the Karve and then the SB-.68 & .95 for the Timeless.

I can definitely appreciate wanting a nicer tool for the job. But as many have said already, yourself included, just because it costs more doesn’t mean it will do anything better for you. I reiterate that to emphasize this last point, YMMV! Have fun with it, enjoy the journey, and find what works best for you!

As above, both are excellent choices. I would say that if you wanted "different", get the Karve with the F and/or G plates. Lots of blade feel, but still fairly difficult to injure yourself.

I thoroughly enjoy my Rex. It is a fine example of machining, and the grip is stainless Velcro. Razor Emporium is a bit of a gamble, 'tho, so HLS and the Taiga could be a better choice- I have yet to hear anything negative on that front, but have not experienced it myself.

If you like efficiency with some blade feel, then the Blackbird would be a great addition. It's a a superb performer, but it is blade forward. Yates 921-M or H will provide similar results with less pronounced blade feel....excellent razor. ATT Windsor SSRH is also very efficient yet smooth. Lots of great choices out there. The best way to know what works for you is to try them out. Most of the boutique brands offer a 30 day return if they don't work out for you.

Good luck with your search.

On the Karve, I've got the Sb D plate, and I liked.better my GC SB.84.

Don't have a Timeless, but that would be my next option.

Now If you want something from the old country, there are the Home Like Shaving razors in Stainless such as the Star, the Apollo Helix from Ukraine and the Stando from Poland. All raved about although haven't tried neither myself.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
If you want instant gratification, consider an Above the Tie, probably a Windsor or an S1. I base the Windsor recommendation on my own. I base the S1 on your seeming interest in a smooth slant experience. If this is more of a quest, start pursuing a Rocnel Sailor or a Wolfman, either of which will take more time and more money.

In so much in the art of shaving the term YMMV applies of course. I started with a Rockwell 6C. It was a good start but I soon lusted for more. Took a chance on a brass Karve and stopped there. It is everything I want including a special look with the patina when it developed. I did buy a second SB plate just to fine tune the razor but have do desire for anything more. Hope you find your forever razor. ;)

Top Bottom