What's new

Ready to Start?

So, I got my first straight, shave-ready as recommended and I have my beginner's strop on order from The Well Shaved Gentleman.

My question is this: I have read that it isn't necessary to strop prior to the first few shaves as a beginner, but should I wait for my strop before I give the first shave a go?

You say it's shave ready, so I would go ahead and shave with it. I would probably only do it once though, just so you know what shave ready feels like really. You could probably get away with doing it a few times but I would wait.

I wouldn't have the first thing to touch your hone be your razor either, practise with a butter knife for a few laps and take things slow!

Good luck

If the razor is truly shave ready and the blade was lightly coated with oil for shipping, then wipe off the oil and you can use it the first time without stropping. After that, I was told you should always strop before shaving because the edge of the blade builds up an oxidized layer which you want to remove right before shaving.
Good luck and have fun.

Go ahead and try it. If it pulls too much and is painful ... stop.

Or you can use a few layers of newsprint as a strop for now.

My question is this: I have read that it isn't necessary to strop prior to the first few shaves as a beginner, but should I wait for my strop before I give the first shave a go?
Only the person you bought the razor from can answer this question. If they have stropped it well and coated it with oil before mailing it's likely that the edge is good to go as it is. Otherwise you *must* strop it first.

Top Bottom