What's new

Ready to start working on these

Got these today In The mail! Very excited to get started on bringing these back to life (at least attempting to). I hope to be able to post my progress on these, if that’s cool, I’ve already received a lot of tips and guidance from this group on brushes and restoration so I think I’m ready to give it a whirl!

Wish me luck and thanks again.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
on this thread (I think this is the right one).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started work on the wooden handled Rubberset first. I have a lot of experience restoring Briar tobacco pipes, so I feel comfortable trying the wooden brush handle first. After a lot of fine sanding, cleaning and polishing I’m pretty satisfied with it. I wanted to keep as much of its natural, well used character so I didn’t sand a whole lot of the wood. I’m a bit disappointed that I couldn’t get the lettering to take better but they were very worn. I’ve ordered a 22mm master badger silver tip from TGN. Hopefully it will look good and work well!
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

BTW, is this a Rubberset 49 I’m working on? The only number on it is the “1” that’s on the wooden handle part but I’m thinking that number represents something else, any ideas? Thanks.

Hello and thanks for the great tips and encouragement on my first brush restoration!

I do have another question though..

I was wondering if I should seal this wooden handle with anything? I’m happy with its looks as it does show its natural age and ware, but I’ve only applied a few coats of Carnauba wax via my buffer as far as sealing goes. Should I apply something else? Thanks.

Did some work on the Red & White Ever-Ready 79 today. I removed the old brush, sanded down the seam lines, filled the hollow handle with BB’s and a mildew/waterproof Silicone, used micro mesh pads for a final sand/polish then Buffed it up with a bit of Carnauba wax. Now I’m just waiting on the knot. She came in a little heavier than I though after filling, at 20 oz. but Man, it really feels nice in the hand so far. I can’t imagine the knot and epoxy will add too much weight. Here are some pics of the fun.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Received my knot today for the Ever-Ready 79 and finished it up. I went with a Super Badger Hair Brush knot. 20mm x 63mm.

I’m pretty happy with its looks and hopefully it will perform well. It is set with a loft of about 50mm. I’m hoping this is good. I love the way it feels in the hand. Hard to believe it may be has old as I am or possibly older.

Here’s some pics. I learn kind of the Army way. Watching, doing, getting feedback, and eventually teaching someone else to do it. So please let me know what you think. Thanks again for all the help this group provides!
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Top Bottom