What's new

Ready to Face Movember?

CHOOSE THE MUSTACHE STYLE THAT BEST SUITS YOUR FACE – OUR GUIDE

In today’s world, a solo mustache is a pretty strong style statement. In the bearded times we live in, it's rare that a mustache is seen without the company of a beard or goatee. However, when November begins tomorrow, the mustache takes on a whole different meaning. For 30 days, sporting a mustache shows your support for Movember, a worldwide movement to build awareness around men’s health matters like prostate and testicular cancer, mental health and suicide prevention.

Even with such an honorable cause behind you, what might really be scaring you this Halloween is the anticipation of attempting to grow the best mustache you can over the next month with nowhere to hide from the prying eyes of friends, family and colleagues.

Never fear, at Truefitt & Hill we know that just as a beard can do wonders to redefine your face, so too can a mustache. Many of our most legendary patrons like Laurence Olivier and Cary Grant sported a mustache, so whether you’re aiming for shoelace-thin whiskers or a full-blown grandiose ‘stache, we can guide you to mustache success. As a mustache can add amazing character and balance to your features in ways a beard cannot, we might even convince you to keep the look well beyond when Movember is over.

First, it is important to consider the size of your facial features. The right mustache style can minimize large features or accentuate and extend smaller ones. Take a mirror and study your face shape, look at your nose, mouth and other features and imagine what will work best for you. The right style should complement your face, not overpower it.

A LONG OR NARROW FACE?
Stay away from styles with vertical lines, such as the horseshoe that will only accentuate the length of your face. Instead opt for a narrow-to-medium-sized mustache that’s not too heavy in length or design. The ‘Clark Gable’ or pencil mustache will counterbalance the vertical shape of the face with some horizontal action.

Another one for narrower faces to consider is the handlebar mustache like Daniel Day Lewis wore in Gangs of New York. Sharp and well-manicured, this mustache can broaden your mouth and add width to your face. It can be grown wide or narrow so although it is naturally suited to narrow faces, it can be adapted to many face types.

A style with a load of personality, after a few weeks of growth, use mustache wax to achieve this standout style.

SMALL FEATURES?
If you have a small nose, avoid a big and bushy mo which will make the nose look even smaller. Instead, go for a shorter style, like the elegant, minimal and very stylish pencil mustache like that worn by actors like Orlando Bloom and Daniel Craig.

Similarly, don’t overpower a smallish mouth with a big, bushy mustache. The pencil mo will broaden the mouth without taking over half your face. In fact, growing the ‘stache a little past the corners of your mouth will make your mouth appear a bit larger.

Suited to a face either broad or narrow the pencil mustache is a great mustache to grow quickly, but it takes some daily attention to maintain the look.

LARGE FEATURES?
If you have a prominent nose, consider a larger, thicker mustache such as a chevron mustache like that of actor Will Ferrell in The Anchorman movies. It can add a lot of bulk to counterbalance large features (nose, mouth, chin, eyes, ears) without dominating the face

A classic mustache, especially associated with the 70s and 80s owing to stars like Freddie Mercury, the chevron remains popular among first-timers and is likely the style you will attain if you just grow a mustache with no other style in mind.

The easily maintained style fully covers the space between nostrils and upper-lip, curving slightly downwards at the ends of your mouth. The chevron is one to be avoided for those with small features.

Anyone with a big nose or a wide face can also consider the walrus mustache like actor Sam Elliot. It will add volume to the top lip, helping add proportion to the face and minimizing large features to create a softer overall look. A big mustache with a lot of character, it’ll get you noticed!

ROUND OR SQUARE FACE?

While the weighty walrus has potential for vertical lines that add favor to wide, square and round faces, these faces will particularly benefit from the upturned U that is the horseshoe mustache. Synonymous with Hulk Hogan, its great for adding length to the face, the two lines descending past the mouth making the face appear longer. Worn bushy, it can also add weight to the face.

While it can be kept neat and trim for everyday life, if you want to achieve an edgier look, grow the bristled ends down to the jaw line, like Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction.

HERE TO HELP
No matter your mo of choice, you will need some help to get the look you so desire. To carve your facial hair, choose the right razor, to use with our Ultimate Comfort Shaving Cream followed by Ultimate Comfort Aftershave Balm. Invest in mustache scissors to control the length, beard oil to keep the mustache clean and moisturized and a mustache comb to maintain your look when on-the-go.

To fully ensure you achieve the perfectly groomed and stylish this Movember, we have created a series of short films with advice from our master barbers. These tips will ensure that you are able to grow your mustache with the utmost care and style.

Last edited:
I have always sported a Mo but this month I’m not going to shave and make a donation as I lost my dad to cancer many years ago, sure do miss ya pop

I have always sported a Mo but this month I’m not going to shave and make a donation as I lost my dad to cancer many years ago, sure do miss ya pop

A noble cause to be sure and a touching way to honour your father's memory. Respectfully yours.

Top Bottom