What's new

Ready for use? You sure about that?

Nikos, good point about the cases. I have purchased a few vintage GEMs that came in cases that were in horrible shape and contained mold. One was from eBay and the photo had no resemblance to the actual case.

I had a similar experience with a GEM. The box was literally disintegrating in my hands when I opened it. I tossed it and cleaned the razor and everything that the box and I had touched. I'm just glad I didn't end up with the plague. ;)

You can never be too careful and unless it's NOS you might want to ask that the original box not be sent or sealed in a separate, airtight, container while in transit.

It's a bit risky to use harsh cleaning methods and chemicals to clean the cases. You have to be very careful. I think it's better to clean them softly and rather don't store the razors you have in your rotation in there. You could destroy the inner material and depreciate your set.

It's a bit risky to use harsh cleaning methods and chemicals to clean the cases. You have to be very careful. I think it's better to clean them softly and rather don't store the razors you have in your rotation in there. You could destroy the inner material and depreciate your set.

I was thinking of steam cleaning for the case if it was deemed salvageable. I think the Gem case was lined with rayon or satin and being that old it would be difficult to clean without damaging as you indicted. I would only want to use it as a showpiece but the case I got was beyond usability even as that.

I guess I am pretty neutral here, yes is important to be clean and disinfect anything that has being in contact with other people but my den is not a museum so no need for items to be in pristine condition, I guess collectors do need to be careful and ensure a good buy when the seller is telling you items are in good condition...they better be in good condition.

Bacteria and viruses? I have drank water straight from the yard hose...shame on me!

great dialog, Sir Nikos!

Tell us other ways to keep good hygiene and health!

great dialog, Sir Nikos!

Tell us other ways to keep good hygiene and health!

We all have different cleansing methods and standards.

A soft toothbrush would do the job, remove the dirt etc. If the razors were to be used, I wouldn't use the cases again as a storage option anyway. I would just keep them in my drawer for collection purposes.

This is what I used to do all these years. I don't own any valueable vintage razor set at the moment. I'm not into collecting anymore.

Cleaning and disinfecting razors is a different discussion, but I'd like to say that I always disinfect them with Barbicide after the extensive cleaning with hard and soft toothbrushes, depending on the finish of the razor.

Regarding bacteria and viruses they should be perished soon enough especially on a hard surface.
Felt boxes and molds are a completely different story spores of molds on these can survive much longer and contaminate a razor.
So if you are going to use the razor, clean it and do not store it in that case!

Last edited:
I've used and sold any number of old DE's over the past 10+ years. I don't see why a short soak in alcohol, hydrogen peroxide or some scrubbing bubbles wouldn't be enough to kill any cooties. I'm in my 70s, chewed on road tar and rarely washed my hands as a kid before supper. A few germs on a DE ain't likely to bother me.

I have purchased many vintage razors that came with cases. I’ve taken the razor out and cleaned it, while the case went into a bag, which was placed into an airtight case and was placed in the basement. I never use the cases no matter how nice they are.

I do not think you can clean that soft interior safely for the material itselve. Even steam can damage old brittle fabrics. So storing it is the way to go.

Any old cases I've had, I left alone. I don't shave with the case and I don't keep any DE's I use in their original cases.

Ok, now I get it. This thread is mostly about the vintage cases and I thought you were talking about them.

We all have different cleansing methods and standards.

A soft toothbrush would do the job, remove the dirt etc. If the razors were to be used, I wouldn't use the cases again as a storage option anyway. I would just keep them in my drawer for collection purposes.

This is what I used to do all these years. I don't own any valueable vintage razor set at the moment. I'm not into collecting anymore.

Cleaning and disinfecting razors is a different discussion, but I'd like to say that I always disinfect them with Barbicide after the extensive cleaning with hard and soft toothbrushes, depending on the finish of the razor.

Indeed! Agree about Barbicide!!

What other personal good health regimens, other than shaving, can you recommend??

barbicide.jpg

I have a few beautiful cases, like the US Military Gillette kits. I cleaned the outside but inside is always a mess, 100 years so I’m not surprised. I always intend on refurbishing the inside but never get around to it. The whole trip to the local JoAnn Fabric is always daunting for me. I am in LE and have had to endure stares from the female occupants to get replacement pin backings etc.

We have some great vendors out there for everything, but we really need a case refurb guy. I think refurbishing a disgusting liner doesn’t affect the history/nostalgic factor since, well some are very disgusting. If it was King Gillette’s razor, then maybe not but...

Top Bottom