What's new

reading books at night in bed, anyone?

hey people so i like to read beds when im in bed at night but the thing is i get a lot of pains in my arms/hands,
sorry if this sounds stupid but i was wondering is there any gadgets or anything i can use to help hold the book or anything like that?

like ive got a mobile phone neck holder, which you can use to hold the phone whilst laying in bed, so was wondering if theres anything for books?

this is what i mean in regards to the phone holder if youre not sure as to what i mean

p.s sorry wasnt sure where to post this

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Yes, I read at night hoping to fall asleep. Usually I choose an interesting article, not a whole book.

I read with an iPad. Since the screen is self illuminated you can get quite comfortable since you don’t need to position yourself to the angle of whatever lamp you may be using. fully lit with no shadows to strain your eyes, you can pretty much position your body however is most comfortable.

hey people so i like to read beds when im in bed at night but the thing is i get a lot of pains in my arms/hands,
sorry if this sounds stupid but i was wondering is there any gadgets or anything i can use to help hold the book or anything like that?

like ive got a mobile phone neck holder, which you can use to hold the phone whilst laying in bed, so was wondering if theres anything for books?

this is what i mean in regards to the phone holder if youre not sure as to what i mean

p.s sorry wasnt sure where to post this
Stands like these are made for laptops, but you can easily rest a book on it and adjust to suit. There are clip on lights made for music stands you could put one of those on as well.

1638981554889.png

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I remember when I was a little boy and just got hooked on adventure books, I would read in the evening until I had to go sleep just to be able to go to school the next day. So I would read in bed, and my mom would say to me: "another 5 minutes and that's it!". After 5 minutes I would ask her for more, like: "please, another three pages", etc'. At some point my mom would get angry and turn the lights off, lol.

I do a lot of reading in bed, but almost all of it is on a phone, and in the dark. Newer eBook software allows one to use night mode & more convenient fonts & colours. Night mode minimizes blue light so that my night vision & sleep pattern is not affected. My wife is not bothered too, which is always a good thing.

I've almost completely stopped reading paper books, because they're so much less convenient.

Legion

Staff member
I can't read books off a computer or tablet, it hurts my eyes.

I do have a Kindle, and that is fine, and not having to hold it open with both hands like a book would probably make your issue better. They are small and light enough you can just hold it with one hand, then switch hands when needed.

You might even be able to adapt your phone holder.

Legion

Staff member
Try night mode on your tablet's ebook software. In the day, too.

Android software has a lot of choices. Apple may be more limited.
Yeah. But I have a kindle with around fifty books I haven’t tackled yet. I could put them on an iPad too, I guess.

Another good thing about kindle is the battery lasts an age. I pick up my tablet, it is usually flat. The kindle always has a couple of hours reading in there.

Yeah. But I have a kindle with around fifty books I haven’t tackled yet. I could put them on an iPad too, I guess.

Another good thing about kindle is the battery lasts an age. I pick up my tablet, it is usually flat. The kindle always has a couple of hours reading in there.
Kindle outdated. Cannot handle night mode unless you have the tablet. iPad too big for one hand, as are other tabs.

I never found a comfortable position for reading in bed. Before we sold our house last year, I had a chair and foot stool on my side of the bed with a light on either side. It was perfect. I'd put a pillow in my lap to hold the book and read most nights before going to bed. My favorite nighttime reading was James Thurber short stories. I have at least a dozen Thurber books, including the first I ever bought in the early 1960s. Downsizing when you get older is not all it's cracked up to be. I hate my apartment. With limited space, my wife has managed to rearrange everything so I don't have any place comfortable with enough light to read.

I have 2 kindles and haven't used either in years. I want pages to turn, and preferably the smell of an old book. I also like to be able to quickly flip pages back and forth. Ebooks did come in handy for downloading classics from Gutenberg.com, and using calibre software (free) to convert to your ebook format, and keep them organized.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I can't read books off a computer or tablet, it hurts my eyes.

I do have a Kindle, and that is fine, and not having to hold it open with both hands like a book would probably make your issue better. They are small and light enough you can just hold it with one hand, then switch hands when needed.

You might even be able to adapt your phone holder.
It is because of the backlight those devices use. We had our G280 sim go down when a big wig is as here to train. While his session was a wash, he was really impressed with our efforts and gave us each a $50 Amazon card. I had been anti-Kindle, but if someone was going to pay for half of it, why not? I could easily sell it for $50 to cover my end. Man, it is a world of difference. The light color is different and focused down onto screen, not up in your eyes. Need to change font size? Piece of cake. If you encounter a word you don’t know, just highlight it and find definition. While I still prefer real books, my Kindle Paperwhite is taking over. Thousand of books that you can carry in your pocket.

I do all my reading on the Kindle. It's cheap, fits in my pocket, it's tough and long-lasting, lightweight, illuminated, and the battery charge lasts a month. No internet connection is needed. Almost every book ever written is available for it and you can store a thousand books on it. Many books are free from PG, MobileRead, or your public library. Amazon, unfortunately, is mostly bodice-rippers now. I'm a bookish guy and I consider the Kindle, Kobo, and other ebook readers a bigger advance than the smartphone.

But I like the idea of @BudgetShaverGuy too: audio books.

I'm constantly on the fence about a Kindle. I agree with others, I can't stand reading on a standard phone/tablet because of the backlight. I suppose I could try turning on dark mode (I use it on my work computer already), but something about it just doesn't SEEM right. In a way, I wish there was an easy way to trial a Kindle/dedicated e-reader. The storage issue alone is a HUGE advantage.

But then, I enjoy having some of the copies of books I own. It can be a nice conversation starter to see someone reading a book and discuss it. It's also more obvious (I think...) that you're reading and not scrolling social media or whatever. I probably just need to take the plunge at some point and try it.

Reactions: saj
I'm constantly on the fence about a Kindle. I agree with others, I can't stand reading on a standard phone/tablet because of the backlight. I suppose I could try turning on dark mode (I use it on my work computer already), but something about it just doesn't SEEM right. In a way, I wish there was an easy way to trial a Kindle/dedicated e-reader. The storage issue alone is a HUGE advantage.

But then, I enjoy having some of the copies of books I own. It can be a nice conversation starter to see someone reading a book and discuss it. It's also more obvious (I think...) that you're reading and not scrolling social media or whatever. I probably just need to take the plunge at some point and try it.
Tbf the e ink technology on the kindle is good, doesn't really hurt your eyes, mind you mine was the keyboard version I brought years ago, doesn't work now though but the books I'm after don't really come in kindle format

Going for a different approach, you could try a pair of prism glasses so you could have the book in your lap and read without having to hold the tablet/phone. It is a good prevention method for 'tech neck' as you can look forward and read a screen instead of looking down at an angle. Helpful for watching TV while lying down.

There are several types and makers but here is an example of what I am talking about.

Top Bottom