What's new

RE: Vintage Soaps

I have been acquiring a small collection of no longer made shaving soaps. So far I have some of the more common, OS, Williams, Colgate, Franklin, Seaforth and two different Avon soaps. I do not believe I will chase a Yardley at the price they are fetching on ebay, but I was wondering about Tally Ho and MacGregor soaps that will show up from time to time.
Has anyone tried them and how do they compare to some of the others I have listed?

I forgot to add a couple of others in the stash, Mohawk and Tribute from Mary Kay.

So many soaps and I only shave once a day.

Last edited:
I have been acquiring a small collection of no longer made shaving soaps. So far I have some of the more common, OS, Williams, Colgate, Franklin, Seaforth and two different Avon soaps...

I suggest you also look for Surrey and Barbershop. Recommended!

So many soaps and I only shave once a day.

Ain't that the truth!

:shaving:

I and others have acquired vintage Goya Corvette. I have yet to use mine, but others were happy with it's tallowy goodness :tongue_sm.

More recent discontinued products are Ralph Lauren Safari.

I suggest you also look for Surrey and Barbershop. Recommended!
:shaving:

I should have listed the Franklin as Franklin Barbershop. Just got this in on Friday along with a badger brush made in Austria in a gift set. Smells like soap and it will be a little while before I get to try it with so many in my rotation.

I found a bowl of Tally Ho in a gift set, along with the AS and cologne. I've tried and tried, but I can't get any thing resembling a decent lather from that soap.

Don't forget to add Wrisley's to that list. That's some of the good stuff too:thumbup1:

I have a bowl of MacGregor, and I don't like it at all. Unlike virtually any of the other vintage soaps I have -- and I have a few -- I can't get a decent lather out of the stuff. It comes in a cool yellow Bakelite bowl tho, so that's something. :tongue_sm

Have you Gentlemen added a slight a mount of water, like a few drops or so, to rehydrate those soaps before using them?

I've tried just about everything to add moisture back to the puck. My last desperate attempt was to seal the puck in a plastic food storage bowl along with several chunks of wet sponge. The sponges would keep the air moist, the puck would absorb the moisture in the air and create later. (Hey, it sounded like a good idea at the time:lol:)

Have you Gentlemen added a slight a mount of water, like a few drops or so, to rehydrate those soaps before using them?

I usually put some water on top of all of my pucks - vintage or no - while I'm showering in order to hydrate them. I haven't had a problem with any of my vintage soaps in terms of them being too dry to work properly.

I usually put some water on top of all of my pucks - vintage or no - while I'm showering in order to hydrate them. I haven't had a problem with any of my vintage soaps in terms of them being too dry to work properly.

I've had the same experience.

I haven't tried the MacGregor or the Tally Ho but I have acquired a few very unusual old brands. McConnon, Bakers, and Colgate-Peet Barber Soap are all in my collection and are outstanding performers.

Thats a shame. I haven't found a soap yet that wouldn't lather. Do you have hard water?

Nope, some what soft water for me. This is the only soap marketed as a shaving soap that I've ever tried and not been able to figure out. That includes the infamous modern Williams and even the lesser tried Marvy.

Top Bottom