What's new

Re-thinking Barbasol

I'm a few months in to DE/SE shaving and have used Barbasol two or three times. Now that I have put a lot more thought into the whole shaving process, I'm getting as good or better results using Barbasol than I have with any soap.

I'll start out with my dumbest question. How do you apply canned shaving cream? I read that it can damage your brush. I'm re-thinking every aspect of shaving now. Do I just slap some on my face and call it good? Does it need to be massaged in or some other technique applied for it to work best?

There was no night-and-day difference between the Barbasol and the soaps I've been using. Since the Barbasol seems marginally better, is that just the way it is for me, or does that indicate that I still suck at shave soap prep? In other posts here, I've said that I've had the best success with regular bar soap as opposed to shaving soaps and I think it's because of the residual slickness. Also, between overlapping strokes, blade buffing, and multiple passes, I'd say I run over every square inch of my skin at least 20 times per shave. The residual slickness from regular bar soap really helps with that. The Barbasol seems to be more thoroughly removed, so I either re-apply, or smear some around from another side of my face when got at it in a particular area. I'm fortunate that it doesn't bother my skin a bit, but haven't been able to hit a BBS yet. Still lots to learn.

I found a wet brush on a face lathered with Barbasol just kills the lather. I just squirt some on the fingers of my left hand and spread it around. You will get the idea with practice.

Barbasol bleaches my skin. Gillette foamy doesn't and performs the same.

Barbasol's performance is equal to my limited supply of other soaps.

I wouldn't use a brush for canned shaving crème. It is designed to lather without a brush so that just seems like adding an unnecessary step. I just rub it on my face. Most canned stuff lathers right out of the can without doing anything special. I usually rubbed gel in some, but even it would foam on its own if you let it.

Like you, I noticed I did get better results from canned stuff after I had some experience shaving with safety razors and traditional shaving soap. I like the process of lathering and experimenting with water/temp/etc so I still use a brush and soap.

Used Barbasol for 45 years with no brush. I would wet my face and the add the shaving cream. Worked beautifully. I just wanted to experience making and using lather.

I'm a few months in to DE/SE shaving and have used Barbasol two or three times. Now that I have put a lot more thought into the whole shaving process, I'm getting as good or better results using Barbasol than I have with any soap.

I'll start out with my dumbest question. How do you apply canned shaving cream? I read that it can damage your brush. I'm re-thinking every aspect of shaving now. Do I just slap some on my face and call it good? Does it need to be massaged in or some other technique applied for it to work best?

There was no night-and-day difference between the Barbasol and the soaps I've been using. Since the Barbasol seems marginally better, is that just the way it is for me, or does that indicate that I still suck at shave soap prep? In other posts here, I've said that I've had the best success with regular bar soap as opposed to shaving soaps and I think it's because of the residual slickness. Also, between overlapping strokes, blade buffing, and multiple passes, I'd say I run over every square inch of my skin at least 20 times per shave. The residual slickness from regular bar soap really helps with that. The Barbasol seems to be more thoroughly removed, so I either re-apply, or smear some around from another side of my face when got at it in a particular area. I'm fortunate that it doesn't bother my skin a bit, but haven't been able to hit a BBS yet. Still lots to learn.
If you are mainly looking for slickness and prefer not to use a brush, you might try Cremo.

Also, what shave soaps have you used that didn’t perform as well as Barbasol?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Here's something I learned recently: I shaved in the shower. Rubbed some bath soap on my face, then followed that with Barbasol from the can. Closest shave I've had in a while. Weird.

it's not meant to be used with a brush but you absolutely can use a brush and i think it makes the whole experience much better. Since i started using brushes for shaving, i don't ever wanna go back to just standing there with that left hand full of foam. What did you hear about it being damaging or bad for a brush?

It's formulated by a hundred years of mad scientists to foam up perfectly right out of the can... so any water in the brush is gonna thin it out. That's where the fun experimentation comes into play, you can mess around with brush dampness and it will affect the thickness or thinness of your barbasol.....try it squeezed out, just slightly damp, try it wetter, see what you like. Making it a little thinner wetter slicker can be good for DE/SE shaving.

Just wet your face, squirt a golfball sized plop into your damp brush and go to town.

:shaving:

Last edited:
Barbasol Ingredients: Water, Stearic Acid, Triethanolamine, Isobutane, Laureth-23, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Propane, Fragrance.

Oleo Canard Base: Stearic Acid, Water, Kokum Butter, Potassium Hydroxide, Palm Kernel Oil, Duck Fat, Sodium Hydroxide, Castor Oil, Glycerin, Jojoba Oil, Fragrance & Sodium Lactate

At the end of the day, just about any moist lather rich with bubbles is going to soften your whiskers. That’s not really the point though. What moist lather is going to kiss your face and leave it feeling as soft as a baby’s butt? And smell great doing it? Not Barbasol. Well, compared to today’s artisan soaps, Barbasol isn’t my choice for day in and day out. Doesn’t give me the sheen my other soaps give me.

Moreover, the use of a brush does a great job of prepping and semi exfoliating.

Barbasol works. No question. So does that old Gremlin my neighbor is selling. I’d rather get to work in my BMW though.

VDH Unscented Luxury ingredients...$4.99
Van Der Hagen’s Unscented Luxury Shave Soap is the perfect addition to your shaving routine. It contains emollients like shea, mango and cocoa butters that soften your beard for a smoother, closer shave. It’s also hypoallergenic to protect sensitive skin. And with over 10% glycerin to attract and lock in moisture, this shave soap is working overtime to help your skin look and feel healthier.

This will last longer than a can of Barbasol at a buck and a half.

I can now lather up as fast as I used to when using Barbasol. However, if I want to push for a really good hydrated lather and get a great shave, the VDH is much better.

Your technique needs work. Watch shave videos, see the Wanderers Guide on B & B, yada, yada.

Until you improve your shaving skills, the soap or cream is inconsequential, really.

Hang in there.

Your technique needs work. Watch shave videos, see the Wanderers Guide on B & B, yada, yada.

Until you improve your shaving skills, the soap or cream is inconsequential, really.

Hang in there.

Not arguing, but how do you know my technique needs work? I've read the Wanderers Guide and watched a ton of videos. I can get CCS regularly. I really, truly question whether my face will ever experience a BBS shave. Even if I just concentrate on my cheek/sideburns area which I thought should be easiest, I can do pass after pass until I'm tired and it will not get BBS. Same when I tried a professional barber using a straight.

CCS is good enough, but not very motivating. I'll keep trying different things.

If you are mainly looking for slickness and prefer not to use a brush, you might try Cremo.

Also, what shave soaps have you used that didn’t perform as well as Barbasol?

No soap has performed as well as Barbasol, but there's not a huge difference, either. I'd put my shower soap just a notch down from Barbasol, then Arko just a notch down from that. My taste in soaps isn't distinguished enough to really rate the shave soaps against each other. I could care less about the fragrance.

I'm not opposed to using the brush at all, but I'll give Cremo a try. Slickness seems to be what I'm after. I don't have a good handle on what cushion is or why I want it, but I gather that's the other major property of soap, aside from aesthetics.

Here's something I learned recently: I shaved in the shower. Rubbed some bath soap on my face, then followed that with Barbasol from the can. Closest shave I've had in a while. Weird.

I recently had a decent shave by leaving bath soap from the shower, then lathering over with a brush loaded with shave soap. Will have to try it again with Barbasol over bath soap.

What did you hear about it being damaging or bad for a brush?

I read that it can make the bristles deteriorate or fall out over time. Can neither confirm nor deny, as I've not tried it myself.

Friend, if you are going over every inch 20x, your technique is in need of improvement, your angle is not ideal, or you need to put a new blade in your razor. :)

Lots of ways to skin a cat and none of them require any special technique. You’re rubbing a brush against soap....lol!!

Some brushes are better than others.

Some add a little water to the soap to soften it up.

Some lather with a bowl, others face lather.

If your shave cream can do this. I’d recommend sticking with it.

If Barbadol works well for you, then that’s just fine IMO!!

The key point is that technique trumps most everything else in traditional wet shaving. That’s where you will get the most return for your time and effort!

Once your technique is reasonably solid, then you can make added progress by upping the quality of your hardware and software. Just my $0.02!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I used canned gels and foams for 30 plus years and I always used a brush to apply the canned product. We don’t have Barbasol over here in Australia but I used to use Gillette foams and gels, then Nivea canned foams and gels and then Aldi foams and gels. You certainly can use a brush if you so desire. What ever works for you.

You will get all sorts of answers here. If canned goo is your thing, there is nothing wrong with that. I use Barbasol most days, since my time is limited during the week. On the weekends I use brush and cup, but I digress. I find that it works much better by applying the foam to my left fingers (Im right handed) then spreading it on my beard. If I want a quick slick down I add just a few drops of water to what is left on my hand then reapply. The added water seems to aid in the lubrication. Then shave as usual. The yellow label WAS the best, but it is no longer made. The original is my second choice...now my first. Anyway, welcome to the rabbit hole that is wet shaving! :)

In my case, learning how to make a good lather with a brush was, in retrospect, the part that took me the longest to really get the hang of.

Top Bottom