What's new

Re-scaling my favorite razor

Tip for black horn, use a scribe to scratch the outline into the horn rather than use a pencil. Much easier to see.

I do have the advantage of a 2x72 belt grinder but I don’t spend long on it at all. Just sanding the outline to shape and beveling the edges. After that I use files and hand scrapers to do all the shaping before going over everything with 220 grit paper then 400 grit. Next it’s onto a Chemcote yellow stitched buff with Tripoli compound then a loose cotton wheel with fine rouge to finish to a high gloss.

I like the scribe idea and will definitely try it on my next outing. Would be fun, but I am having trouble seeing a 2 x 72 in my future. I think a lot of it is just confidence. I am still very cautious about not wanting to remove too much material.

I like the scribe idea and will definitely try it on my next outing. Would be fun, but I am having trouble seeing a 2 x 72 in my future. I think a lot of it is just confidence. I am still very cautious about not wanting to remove too much material.

Best thing to do is if you ever want to take the plunge, to save enough money to buy one with variable speed. Much more versatile and the variable units also run in reverse which comes in handy also.

I bought my machine from Ameribrade, it’s an expensive bit of kit no doubt but actually on the lower end as far as these things go and 100% made in the USA to boot. It’s a solid machine and I’ve had absolutely no issues.

Grinding is one of those things you just have to do and make mistakes at. Luckily for me I’ve been in some kind of grinding job all my life so I’m used to this kind of equipment but still learning all the time. Go and search YT with “Gilbert Hukin” about a fork polisher in Sheffield. They make working with grinders and polishers look so easy.

Here’s a pair of blonde horn scales I just finished making up this morning for an old Sheffield wedge I found in an antique store. Just traced round the originals. A slab of blonde doesn’t look like much but once you work it you end up with an incredible transformation.

View attachment 1430554View attachment 1430555View attachment 1430556View attachment 1430559

Blond horn is my absolute favorite material. Wish it was easier to source the blanks! I’ve had some 150+ yr old Sheffields with blond horn that with a little elbow grease have come back to life.

Top Bottom