What's new

Re-plating your own razors

Has anyone here re-plated their own razors using electrolysis or one of the available plating kits? What were your results? Any advice? I know there are several companies that re-plate these razors, but I think it would be fun to try and do it at home (I think the chemistry of it is interesting.)

I say go for it. You can probably do it for twice the amount, and take twice as long, as you would if you sent it off to the pros. Additionally... somehow or another it will also involve 9 trips to Lowe's.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
It can be done from what I've read. The problem lies in handling and disposing of chemicals and such.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I certainly wouldn’t be using razors of any value, but I’m the type that likes to learn how to do things, and then get the satisfaction of doing them. I don’t have any delusions of perfection with this, just something to experiment with. Didn’t know if anyone else had done the same.

It can be done from what I've read. The problem lies in handling and disposing of chemicals and such.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Yes, I’ve read some of the online articles about it, I would just like to hear from someone who has actually tried it.

Many years ago I tried home plating some small parts, think I got a kit from Edmond Scientific. Maybe it was poor technique or prep on my part, or poor chemistry, but the finished parts were really low quality. I've since left plating to the experts.

Many years ago I tried home plating some small parts, think I got a kit from Edmond Scientific. Maybe it was poor technique or prep on my part, or poor chemistry, but the finished parts were really low quality. I've since left plating to the experts.
Thank you for the reply. I know that the chemicals and electrode quality can vary to a large degree. Your reply helped me eliminate one company, so thank you!

Some of the commercial razor re-platers are folks who also re-plate lot of other things and so are capitalized, skilled, and tooled up accordingly. Others are guys who turned an experimental hobby into a little sideline business. They got to the point of doing high quality work, I would imagine, by a fair amount trial and error. So, if you're up for it, you can probably do that too, but it will likely require the sacrifice of a few old razors, along with some time, work, and, yes, money. Let us know how it goes.

Some of the commercial razor re-platers are folks who also re-plate lot of other things and so are capitalized, skilled, and tooled up accordingly. Others are guys who turned an experimental hobby into a little sideline business. They got to the point of doing high quality work, I would imagine, by a fair amount trial and error. So, if you're up for it, you can probably do that too, but it will likely require the sacrifice of a few old razors, along with some time, work, and, yes, money. Let us know how it goes.
I will, and thanks for the encouragement.

No offense, but I don't recommend amateurs re-plating razors. I've read a lot of horror stories. Even the professionals sometimes goof up. Let the professionals do it, and save money in some other way.

+2! This is also my impression. The question is, ‘Do you want to commit to starting another hobby?’

Thanks for the input guys, both for and against. I am going to do some more research on this topic before I decide whether or not to try it. If I go through with it, I will do a write-up with pics.

Top Bottom