What's new

Re-centering a blade

He y’all

I bought a nice “ace of spades” razor on eBay. Razor looks great, aside from some junk in the jimps. However, it does not close centered. I’d rather avoid unpinning this and risk damage to scales as I’m fairly new at restores.

Is there any way I can give the pins some taps with the ball peen to coerce the blade back towards center? How and which sides do I go after to move it in particular direction? For example, if I need blade to move right to center, what would I do?

Thx!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would first check that the blade was flat. I had an issue with a stright not closing well and assumed the scales were warped. After making the scales and re-scaling I discovered that the blade was bent. No amount of tapping will fix that issue.

My understanding is that you strike the toe-side of the pivot pin on the scale that you wish the blade to move toward. Kind of "pulls" the blade toward that side.

I've also heard it suggested to strike the pin-side of the pivot pin on the side you wish to move the blade away from, but this seems less effective to me. Theory is that doing so "pushes" the blade over.

I try to follow the above, but do so mostly by the seat of my pants.

Unless the holes are slightly larger than the pin, it wont move much.

I usually drill the pivot and wedge holes slightly larger than the pinning rod, this does allow a small amount of play

Thx guys.

At this point I think I’ll just leave them be. The blade closes fine with just a little pressure to the opposite side. The scales are very old and horn scales. I don’t want to risk jacking them up over a minor issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a look at this for a more detailed explanation by Njguy1977

Top Bottom