What's new

RAZR V3 Help

So I got a new RAZR last week (the phone, not something for cutting whiskers!) and I'm having trouble with one of the settings...

I have all of my contacts placed into categories: Business, Personal, Family, and then any left overs in General.

Each category has a ring assigned to it so that I know what kind of call it is as soon as it starts ringing.

Ok, so the problem is, any incoming text messages that I receive are also using the same 'category ring' which is super-annoying since I don't know (without looking) if I'm getting a call or just a text message.

I never had this problem on the Nokias. It allowed me to assign a separate ring to incoming messages. The RAZR appears to allow you to do this in the Audio set-up section, but then the category assignment seems to over-ride this.

Does anyone know if this is a flaw in the motorola or is there something I'm missing?:confused1

I have a razr and hacked and modded the bejeebus out of it. Here is a link with the answer to your problem. And here is another one. You may not like the answer though.

Good luck

Rod

salsadj said:
I have a razr and hacked and modded the bejeebus out of it. Here is a link with the answer to your problem. And here is another one. You may not like the answer though.

Good luck

Rod

Gracias.

Sheesh. You'd think it could be a common sense built in feature like the Nokia does it!

So the RAZR has too 'dumb' features (that I've found so far) that make no sense:

1. SMS (text messages) and phone calls have the same ring
2. Separate phone book entry for each person's different phone numbers.

But then again, Cingular doens't seem to carry any decent Nokia phones anymore which I why I ended up switching when my Nokia went kaput.

ada8356 said:
2. Separate phone book entry for each person's different phone numbers.

Actually, when you go to store a number in your phonebook, you should have an option that says "......MORE......" at the very bottom of your entry. This will allow you to add more than one phone number under a single name.

How appropriate for a wetshaver to use a phone called the RAZR :biggrin:

Rod

salsadj said:
Actually, when you go to store a number in your phonebook, you should have an option that says "......MORE......" at the very bottom of your entry. This will allow you to add more than one phone number under a single name.

How appropriate for a wetshaver to use a phone called the RAZR :biggrin:

Rod

Right, but after you use the 'more' and add the number, it shows two entries in the phone book for that person. It saves you a few steps on the entry, but it's annoying to have three Rod's listed in a row! ho hum.... guess I'm just nit pickin'

ada8356 said:
No one uses the RAZR!?:scared:

Or is there just no solution to my problem?

I use a RAZR, but I have never sent or received a text message in my life, (and I do not intend to start unless I have to) so I have no experience with your problem.

JMT said:
I use a RAZR, but I have never sent or received a text message in my life, (and I do not intend to start unless I have to) so I have no experience with your problem.

You're missing out then! I don't text people, but text in general has saved my hide at least once. If you are on teh road and need info, you text Google (46645) with whatever info you need (ie auto service and your location) and you get a text back from Google with all the contact info. Very cool.
http://www.google.com/sms/howtouse.html

Dennis

ada8356 said:
Right, but after you use the 'more' and add the number, it shows two entries in the phone book for that person. It saves you a few steps on the entry, but it's annoying to have three Rod's listed in a row! ho hum.... guess I'm just nit pickin'

Ahhh...my young grasshoppa :biggrin:
If you save the entry to "phone" rather than "sim" you will have one name and can store numerous entries under it.

BUT...this defeats the whole purpose of GSM and making your phonebook portable. :mad:

Rod

JMT said:

I probably SMS more than I talk! It's a great alternative since it's not as 'intrusive' as a phone call... sure there are times when direct conversation is necessary but often times, an SMS is just as effective and even preferable.

Top Bottom