What's new

Razors without round handles

Howdy!

Obviously I'm new here and all the standard disclaimers apply... Sorry if this is a dead horse, but if it's a common question, I can't find the search terms to use. I've been using double edge razors for a couple of years and love them. Cleared up my chronic ingrown hairs!!!

But I really wish I had a razor with a handle that wasn't round. I think I would much prefer something rectangular or triangular or other large facets so I had tactile feedback and more control of the orientation of the blade.

Can anyone point me towards razors like that? Broadly I'd rather not spend over $100, but I don't believe there is such a thing as "too much money" for the best tool for the job.

Thanks,

Mike

Welcome to B&B! I have a vintage Star DE three piece that has a hexagon handle. Excellent grip and control. It is the same handle as the Star SE razors. It is one of my favorite razors.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Look for a Diamondback or 17-4 (from Paradigm Razors) — but be prepared to back up your assertion about ‘too much money.’

Welcome to B&B.
I would have thought that any handle with a decent knurled finish with give you that tactile feedback. There are vendors such as Maggard Razors who do supply a choice of handles threaded for M5x0.8mm which covers most razors. Fatip and the old Gillettes have a different thread size.

The Rex Envoy has really grippy knurling and may serve well for you. They cost more than your budget new but they do come up on BST every once in a while. Most vintage Schick injectors have a rectangular handle so you might consider trying one.

Wow! Thanks for so many ideas so quickly. Unfortunately (or luckily?) everything at Paradigm is sold out. They sure are beautiful though.

As for knurled, it's not the grip I need so much as a shape whose orientation I can tell by feel. A round but knurled handle is good to hold, but feels the same in my hand if I rotate it.

Thanks for the idea to make one. I'm a pretty serious woodworker and have tones of acrylic for turning things like pens. It wouldn't be hard to mill up. My existing razors are all butterfly, so it had really occurred to me how simple that would be. I'm also a teacher trying to figure out how to teach 3rd graders remotely while doing tech support for 8 year olds who are marginal readers, so my shop time is limited right now. Also my shop is converted to a video studio.

So if more ideas don't come I may start with that 42C. But it's so affordable. It makes me think I'll just be buying something better in a month of two.

Does the forum have sponsors I can support? I haven't stumbled across them yet.

Mike

The Wolfman Darwin handles are really nice, but like some other items they are difficult to obtain as there's a waiting list. So the Buy Sell Trade area of the website might be a good place to pick one up used. Note that these can be a bit pricey as well.

Shavemac made this octagonal olive wood DE Razor handle for me:

Olive-Set-G-700_2020-07-09.jpg

The Wolfman Darwin handles are really nice, but like some other items they are difficult to obtain as there's a waiting list. So the Buy Sell Trade area of the website might be a good place to pick one up used. Note that these can be a bit pricey as well.

+1 on the Wolfman Darwin handles. I love mine. They are pricey and hard to come by, though.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
As mentioned above, the Merkur has a classic Solingen hex handle. Plenty of others.

Generic Solingen here:

full

Here's a pic of the tapered EMIR Karl Engels hex from Solingen pre-war. Good balance, too.
full

Vintage well under $100

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
If you like vintage SE razors you will get some more variety, most of these razors can be found at Antique stores.

(L to R) Gem Feather weight.......................Everready 1912......................Gem JR 1912...................Schick E2
Gem Feather weight Gen 1 1950-52, Gen 2,1952-54 (2).jpg
Ever Ready 1912 British made MFG 1936-53.jpg
Gem JR Parade Mfg 1943 variant (3).jpg
Schick E2 1937Pat  MFG 1930's &40,s(2).jpg

Excellent handles and enjoy them all when they come up for rotation!
Have some great shaves!

RazoRock/Italian Barber sells a variety of excellent, inexpensive CNC milled razors (and dirt cheap zamak headed razors) that come with in pensive, good quality stainless handles. A a few minutes with a bench sander would give you some handle facets.

And they are a B&B sponsor. Google Italian Barber.

If you like vintage SE razors you will get some more variety, most of these razors can be found at Antique stores.

(L to R) Gem Feather weight.......................Everready 1912......................Gem JR 1912...................Schick E2
View attachment 1174086 View attachment 1174088 View attachment 1174089 View attachment 1174091
Excellent handles and enjoy them all when they come up for rotation!
Have some great shaves!

+1 on trying SE. The various ASR brands loved hex handles.
Gem and Ever-Ready are the main brands. Readily available in my neck of the woods in the $5-20 range.

Top Bottom