What's new

Razors without round handles

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I liked the look of this Merkur, did they also call it the 1914? Regardless, same head as 34C, great efficient little razor.
56775317-ADE9-4E4B-9F92-964309F0F89C.jpeg

I have about 80 safety razors, and I don't have a clear preference for a round, hexagonal or other shaped handle. More important IMO is the length and the diameter of the handle, but even they are negotiable and subservient to other factors of razor design. I also prefer a safety razor that is slightly heavy for my coarse whiskers.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I didn't like the hexagonal handle on my Merkur 41C, and gave it away. Only round handles for me from now on.

The problem with a handle which has flats and corners, is those flats and corners might not fall where I want them to be for a comfortable grip when screwed onto the head. A round handle will always feel the same, no matter the grip, or which head it's fastened to.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
If you are into ergonomic handles and like future proto type razors that will give a BBS shave I would recommend a @twhite
TNNSER 3D printed razor, I had a excellent shave with this Gem of a razor this morning. You can have them printed off.
TNNSER RAZOR 3D-MFG 2019+ printed by Tom June 2020 (2).jpg
TNNSER 2.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Thanks again. Lots of interesting choices. As I was scrolling through, I realized that while hex handles will be give more precise feedback than a round handle, but that white plastic handle with less symmetry made me think. What I really want is one with a significantly asymmetrical handle. That way once I've built the muscle memory, I would have better control.

But now that you made me realize I can make some, I've got some ideas. If I come up with anything that works, I'll let you know.

Mike

I wanted to check back in and let you all know my wife got me a 42C for xmas. It's interesting, that feeling of sliding down the slippery slope into something new. The hex handle does not give me the feedback I was hoping for, but now I have a thread-on head so I can experiment with custom handles. But the most interesting thing to me is how differently this shaves than the other razors I've used. I've read about different razors being more or less aggressive, but it's shocking what a difference there really can be. I've been using a Parker 99R, and I love the shave, but for me it's a balancing act between shaving and scraping. This 42C, I don't think I could cut myself if I tried. What a difference! I don't think it's shaving quite as close, but it's ok. However, today I grew a clogged pore. If that continues, it's back to the Parker. Thanks again for the advice.

I wanted to check back in and let you all know my wife got me a 42C for xmas. It's interesting, that feeling of sliding down the slippery slope into something new. The hex handle does not give me the feedback I was hoping for, but now I have a thread-on head so I can experiment with custom handles. But the most interesting thing to me is how differently this shaves than the other razors I've used. I've read about different razors being more or less aggressive, but it's shocking what a difference there really can be. I've been using a Parker 99R, and I love the shave, but for me it's a balancing act between shaving and scraping. This 42C, I don't think I could cut myself if I tried. What a difference! I don't think it's shaving quite as close, but it's ok. However, today I grew a clogged pore. If that continues, it's back to the Parker. Thanks again for the advice.

Congratulations on your new 42C 👌🏼
It's a pretty little razor...
Very true.. It's milder than your Parker..
Still you can try a different (sharper) blade 😊

Mild Razor + Sharp blade = Perfect shave 👌🏼😊

For the 42C,
You can try :
*Bic
*Gillette Nacet
*Feather
*Astra SS

Buy a sample pack and see what works on that razor 😊

Happy Shaving 💐

...Mild Razor + Sharp blade = Perfect shave 👌🏼😊

For the 42C,
You can try :
*Bic
*Gillette Nacet
*Feather
*Astra SS

Buy a sample pack and see what works on that razor 😊

Happy Shaving 💐

When I started with this, read there were preferences for blades. I got a large variety pack and still have a some left. What I've been using most with my Parker are Feathers or Kais. I also like a Gillette (6:00? 7:00?). So far on the new one, I've only tired the Feathers. I had not thought about having to re-audition blades for each new razor. Thanks for the suggestion.

Top Bottom