What's new

Razors with no blade feel?

I am one of those who prefer not to feel the blade while shaving. I've tried a number of razors the last years and found that even some mild razors have some blade feel, like the Merkur 34C, or even some adjustables at lower settings, like the Slim@3. This can lead to irritation sometimes, if you're not paying attention.

Those who surprised me on this matter are the EJ89 head and the Rockwell 6s. Shaving with these is like there is no blade loaded and give you superior, smooth shaves. No wonder why they are highly recommended for new wet shavers.

It doesn't have to do with the gap. For example, I have a WR1 with 0.61 gap and the blade feel is present, while the EJ89 head with the bigger gap has no blade feel.

Which other razors fit in this group?

The vintage Schick Injector SE Type razors have little or no blade feel. These are moderate to mild. The blades last several shaves, and they can be had for less than $10.

I posted this in the DE section, but no problem. I agree with you about the Schick. I have an L-type that I use quite often. Also, OneBlade has no blade feel whatsoever. Quite a good razor, but due to the availability and durability of the FHS blade, I took the decision to sell it. No regrets till this day.

I posted this in the DE section, but no problem. I agree with you about the Schick. I have an L-type that I use quite often. Also, OneBlade has no blade feel whatsoever. Quite a good razor, but due to the availability and durability of the FHS blade, I took the decision to sell it. No regrets till this day.
Okay, some DE users are not familiar with the old Schick Injector types.

The Timeless .68 SB and the Charcoal Goods Lvl 1 razors are exceptionally smooth and comfortable to shave with. The Timeless is slightly smoother but both are an absolute joy to shave with. Both of these razors make you forget that the blade is there but still provide enough audible feedback to allow you to know that you're shaving properly.

What makes these two stand out to me is their efficiency. Allowing you a very, very comfortable perfect shave that is still close enough that it lasts you all day.

Some may not agree, but I do think Merkur 37 slant, if the blade is properly aligned (with top cap) and if riding the cap, would have very little blade feel. It will not lose efficiency.

I completely agree with you on the Rockwell. It has definitely to do with blade angle. If you look at the outer curvature of the top cap, the blade would follow the same trajectory.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

The Timeless .68 SB and the Charcoal Goods Lvl 1 razors are exceptionally smooth and comfortable to shave with. The Timeless is slightly smoother but both are an absolute joy to shave with. Both of these razors make you forget that the blade is there but still provide enough audible feedback to allow you to know that you're shaving properly.

What makes these two stand out to me is their efficiency. Allowing you a very, very comfortable perfect shave that is still close enough that it lasts you all day.
I wanted to suggest Timeless also, but I only have (and tried) .68 OC, which is great razor, but does have a little bit of a blade feel.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Of the less expensive end that I've personally used, the MJ-90, RR Teck II, and Feather Popular are very mild with very little blade feel.

When I was on my mild kick, I strongly considered the RR Mamba, which is a tremendous value for a SS CNC machined razor. But I never pulled the trigger.

Since then, I did go with the Game Changer, which has some blade feel but not a lot. It's a great balance of feel and efficiency.

M

Member 113878

Techs have very little blade feel, and as said previously, Rockwell 6x with lower plates.
The Fatip Testina Gentile is in that category too.

Timeless 0.68 (scalloped in my case) and Edwin Jagger (can't recall a model, but I think all their heads are the same anyway).

Timeless being vastly more efficient, but still no blade feel.

Hoping that my Tatara Masamune will have little blade feel, negative blade exposure according to their website. Also been looking at the Timeless Bronze .38.

Aristocrat junior
1949 (U2) Aristocrat jr.JPG

Rocket HD

I shaved with an ej89 for years ( 8-10). Consider both of these smoother.

Smoothest is hd 500. Also easier to find.

I just received a ball end tech that I bought off the BST. I think it's a late 50's model, but it doesn't have a date code.

I shaved with it for the first time today, and I literally cannot believe how smooth this razor is. I use a Merkur 23c for most of my shaves, but it doesn't even come close to this tech in blade feel. I think I've found exactly what I need in this tech. The only thing I don't like about it is the size. I have huge hands, and this little razor is difficult to hold because the handle is too short.

If the RR Mamba has this type of feel, then I'm going to purchase one of those as well. For those that have used both, would you compare the blade feel of the RR Mamba to a ball end tech?

Top Bottom