What's new

Razors which broke on you!

Ì had an Edwin Jagger which broke, the thread for the handle snapped off when I went to change blades. I understand this is quite common wwith this razor. Are any other razors subject to similar fates?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Gillette old type handles

full

iKon 102 head with SP handle. Threads quit holding. Odd, because the head attaches to other handles, and the handle attaches to other heads. So, the aluminum head is a more likely suspect than the SS handle, but either one could be the perp. Or it could be a conspiracy between them.

I have a 1954 Gillette tech where the threaded post corroded and broke. I have made a temporary repair by drilling out the post and setting a 1/16" drill bit using epoxy.

Even though it's supposed to be brass, I'm pretty confident this is a zamac top cap. When I drilled out the post for the repair, the metal flakes were silverish, not golden colored.

01CDC417-F2F5-4333-96F0-463B51726924.jpeg

I use mostly vintage razors, I have a modern RazoRock for travel. No issues with anything breaking.

Knock on wood.

I have a 1954 Gillette tech where the threaded post corroded and broke. I have made a temporary repair by drilling out the post and setting a 1/16" drill bit using epoxy.

Even though it's supposed to be brass, I'm pretty confident this is a zamac top cap. When I drilled out the post for the repair, the metal flakes were silverish, not golden colored.

View attachment 918125

Interesting. I thought that year tech was plated brass. I have several techs from 1960 and earlier and I'm fairly certain they are brass. They seem pretty indestructible.

'72 Gillette Superspeed. Something went "doink" in it when I went to open it to put a blade in it and the doors just flopped open, never to close again. I only had it for about 2 years. (this was back in 2009)

I just got a 1978 Superspeed in the mail today to replace the Merkur I got back then.

The Fatboy I used as a travel razor for about five years. About a year ago, the adjuster broke. If I can get it cleaned up good, maybe it can be rescued. Probably not. Even those legendary Gillettes have a lifespan.

Gillette new long comb broke a tooth and I stopped using it . It appeared a bit bent visually and I wanted to "fix" it - so there !

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Interesting. I thought that year tech was plated brass. I have several techs from 1960 and earlier and I'm fairly certain they are brass. They seem pretty indestructible.

Yeah, that's what I thought too.

That's the main reason I started going for the prewar techs. As far as I know, there's no possibility of zamac with those.

I've never had a DE razor break on me...but I'm sure a few can recall times when cartridge razors broke on them. Once, the break was so bad that I finished shaving with the cartridge, and without the handle. :117:

Top Bottom