What's new

Razors that you had a chance to buy and regret you didn't

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
Tell me about razors that you had a chance to acquire, but didn't, and are sorry about it.
For me one example is the Raw Shaving RS-10. And yours?

An early Gem lather catcher, with a wooden handle and case, all in excellent condition in an antique store for $20. I was new to this hobby and didn’t have a clue what it was. I researched it and went back the next weekend, but it was gone.

Gillette Sheraton, "buy it now" $25 on the bay. It looked to be in great shape. I hesitated and it was gone in minutes.

Gillette New SC off the bay, either mint or never used. I was just trying my hand at vintage razors and had sent a PM to another message board member for his opinion. It sold before I got a chance to make an offer.

This unicorn which no one ever saw before, and it sold for 70 USD and I was watching the auction but couldn’t decide on whether to bid or not :mad2::mad5::incazzato

C1A86469-EFA1-4FF5-A860-968DA1F0B5AC.jpeg

A cased rhodium-plated Gillette Aristocrat #15, Australian set, in excellent condition at a flea market. The seller was asking 50 euros and thought this was too much... Little did I know. I returned a few hours later and it was gone. I could get it for 40, but 50 was also a very good price. That happened in 2014. I was still a newbie on vintage findings. I still remember that day. So sad... I can't hold my tears, excuse me.

Last edited:
About 18 months ago I had a chance to buy a pristine Paradigm 17-4 for $350. I generally dislike paying secondary markup on pretty much anything; I find alternatives instead. However, this instance of my stubbornness "hurts" a bit as I have seen a couple 17-4's go for ~$500+ over the past 6-9 months. Oh well, thems the breaks. I likewise have passed on multiple opportunities to buy RS-10 at severe markup. I just can't get myself to do it, regardless of how much $$$ I have in my shaving fund stash.

There was a decent looking, though not perfect, Gillette Red Tip on eBay that was like $30 shipped. Don't know if I would've used it regularly but it seemed like a decent deal and chance to try something vintage that wasn't crazy expensive. Gone the next day!

There was a decent looking, though not perfect, Gillette Red Tip on eBay that was like $30 shipped. Don't know if I would've used it regularly but it seemed like a decent deal and chance to try something vintage that wasn't crazy expensive. Gone the next day!

Red Tips are great shavers and they're usually available on eBay.

Went to a flea market last year in search of something else and stumbled upon a seller who had three vintage DE razors in great condition. He was asking the equivalent of about 15 USD for each. Bought a Gillette Black Beauty but was also keen on the other two. Went to see something else and when I returned he was no longer there and he never came back since.
Regret letting those slip through my fingers.

Went to a flea market last year in search of something else and stumbled upon a seller who had three vintage DE razors in great condition. He was asking the equivalent of about 15 USD for each. Bought a Gillette Black Beauty but was also keen on the other two. Went to see something else and when I returned he was no longer there and he never came back since.
Regret letting those slip through my fingers.
Next time you tell that story, mention that the other two were toggles. lol

I bought a first generation Tradere OC which I still have along with the suitcase like case. I then passed on the second generation straight bar. They then stopped making razors. I still get more than just a twinge of regret on having passed up on that razor.

Top Bottom