What's new

Razors That Were Let Downs

So this may have been discussed via threads about offending individual razors, but I thought a thread referencing our collective disappointments would be fun (and decent therapy). So what razor(s) did you have high hopes for, but ultimately has disappointed you? I have a few, but I'm thinking right now one of the contenders for #1 is a WR Case razor. They are usually mid priced on the 'Bay, as there aren't usually tons of them listed. At least not when compared to Genco, Torrey, Geneva, etc. I've wanted a Case razor since I got into SR shaving. I've had numerous Case knivesmthrough the years, and even today they market American made knives (though there is no argument that Case today =/= Case of yesteryear).

Afterr searching the largest auction sight for the better part of 2 years, I recently finally saw one that I thought was a decent deal. No major rust, not even any major patina but it obviously hasnt been polished, the scales looked original, though there were numerous small dings along the bevel that were apparent in pictures. Nothing major, we are talking half the depth of the bevel or ess. I pickee this razor up for about $30 USD shipped. I couldn't believe my luck. Then it arrived. Oh wow, this is a dainty little thing, I thought. It's a 5/8 razor but the tang was tiny. Also the blade just "felt" smaller. It's very light. Oh well no huge issue. On to cleaning and honing. The damage honed out easy enough as it wasn't major. Then on to a progression. The razor is marked "manganese steel." I did some research and true manganese steel (Mangaloy) is unsuitable for razors. After finishing up honing, the first shaves were subpar. I was meticulous in fo,lowing a progression that always works with a quality razor.

Tonight I went back to bevel set. I then increased (slightlty) the number of laps in each step of progression. The results tonight? Better than subpar, but not much beyond mediocre. Fairly, it is close to winter time and winter messes with hydration of shave soap of lather. Still, I had much higher hopes formthis razor.

What is your disappointment?
D75C8C78-8CA5-42F9-A067-B5D8597AA269.jpeg

Curious, does your W.R. Case look like this?

View attachment 1568376
Curious, does your W.R. Case look like this?
Similar but mine is a square point and only 5/8 (unless yours is 5/8 and suffers from tiny tang syndrome like mine). Also the scales are different, and Manganese is in a different font. FWIW it's shaves have improved after a return to the hones. I'm not outright disappointed with it, but I'd still call it a let down. Every Torrey I've touched hones easier, shaves better, and doesn't feel as fragile.

I'm also aware it's not true "Mangaloy"

This is just my impression and I have no facts to support it. But I believe that Dovo and Thiers Issard are now mass producers of razors and the craftsmanship is likely gone. I stay away from them. There are lots of smaller custom makers that I respect. And it seems that Ralf Aust makes a good razor. But I have herd that even some wacker razors come through with problems.

I believe a razor requires a certain degree of craftsmanship that may be impossible (or at least very difficult) to attain in a mass production environment.

Ehh... there were lots of companies mass producing razors over the years. Torrey, Genco, and Geneva razors were produced en masse for the period. Sheffield and Solingen makers turned out impressive numbers as well. The entry level, but still very serviceable, line of most of these razors could be purchased for under 5 bucks in the early 1900s. Which is well under $100 today. They were quality made razors, and few will dispute this.

I would argue that it's a lack of demand that typically leads to mass production that plagues quality straight razor production. GD razors are a good example of mass production value. They aren't without issues but GD comes at a price point where few will complain. The main problem with Dovo and TI is they are constrained by a market where they simply cannot meet the price point needed to meet a critical demand price point while paying western labor wages. GD can meet this price point, sell a high volume, and turn profit because they do not have to pay western wages.

Vintage razors also compete heavily with the low end razors. Why spend over 70 bucks on a quality made new razor when a vintage blade of equal quality can still often be found for under 40 bucks? My collection is exclusive to vintage razors. 30 years from now a TI razor made in 2004 is unlikely to be a collector piece or to command a price premium. The supply of those mid-19th century razors that were pretty cheap on the bay a few years ago is starting to dry up. Once that process is complete, the prices of those decently preserved sheffields and solingens from the 1870s will increase significantly.

Last edited:
The supply of those mid-19th century razors that were pretty cheap on the bay a few years ago is starting to dry up. Once that process is complete, the prices of those decently preserved sheffields and solingens from the 1870s will increase significantly.
I guess I should have started SR shaving a few years ago, then maybe I would have had a fighting chance of saving money compared to carts...

I'm thinking about printing your post and framing it. It will help justify all shaving related purchases. I'd be stupid not to buy a lot of razors now because they're just going to cost more tomorrow.

I guess I should have started SR shaving a few years ago, then maybe I would have had a fighting chance of saving money compared to carts...

I'm thinking about printing your post and framing it. It will help justify all shaving related purchases. I'd be stupid not to buy a lot of razors now because they're just going to cost more tomorrow.
The favored pricing isn't over yet. You can still find quality vintage razors that need little more than some cleanup and honing for under 30 bucks. Sometimes closer to 20. And sometimes a lot auction will net you 6 or 8 razors for under 100 bucks. You haven't missed the boat just yet friend. But I have noticed prices trending upwards some, and there aren't quite as many razors of certain sought after brands listed as there used to be. To be fair the price of everything has trended upward as well.

The razor is marked "manganese steel." I did some research and true manganese steel (Mangaloy) is unsuitable for razors.
I wouldn't put much stock into what the etch on a vintage blade claims.
That lettering on razors was, quite often, just a marketing spiel they put on there to make the blade look good. Another example of this is "Fine India Steel" "Silver Steel" and so on.. Boker used all 3 of those labels and others, but the blades were all forged from English Bar Steel for razors...
I've honed and shaved with several "Manganese Steel' razors, all good, no issues. Wester Brothers blades were often emblazoned with that mark and those blades shave great when honed correctly.

I wouldn't put much stock into what the etch on a vintage blade claims.
That lettering on razors was, quite often, just a marketing spiel they put on there to make the blade look good. Another example of this is "Fine India Steel" "Silver Steel" and so on.. Boker used all 3 of those labels and others, but the blades were all forged from English Bar Steel for razors...
I've honed and shaved with several "Manganese Steel' razors, all good, no issues. Wester Brothers blades were often emblazoned with that mark and those blades shave great when honed correctly.
My favorite are all the magnetic steel marketing bits. I have a great razor ca 1900-1910 based on historical etch made by "The Electric Razor Co" which claims to be a magnetic razor, like just total marketing nonsense across the board, and we've all seen carbo-magnetic claims from myriad brands

This is just my impression and I have no facts to support it. But I believe that Dovo and Thiers Issard are now mass producers of razors and the craftsmanship is likely gone. I stay away from them. There are lots of smaller custom makers that I respect. And it seems that Ralf Aust makes a good razor. But I have herd that even some wacker razors come through with problems.

I believe a razor requires a certain degree of craftsmanship that may be impossible (or at least very difficult) to attain in a mass production environment.
Though you may be correct regarding Dovo, I have to strongly disagree regarding Thiers-Issard. They make quality razors with solid craftsmanship and a distinct artisanal, hand-crafted look. I've owned nearly a dozen TI's and each one has felt like quality, crafted razors that have shaved wonderfully. You can feel the solid quality craftsmanship when you hold one, that is lacking in a Dovo or some vintage razors.

I bought an expensive custom straight (used) many years ago. When I got the razor it was clear that it was a razor shaped object and not a straight to shave with. The geometry of it was all wrong. It was an 8/8 blade but the spine was very thin so there was no way you were ever going to get a shaveable edge from it. A very expensive mistake.

Top Bottom