What's new

Razors that surprised you?

There are some razors that just seemed, for one reason or another, like they wouldn't work for me, but then when I tried them, they just clicked. I'll give a couple of examples:

1) Pils. Looks like it would be too head-heavy, handle too thin and too slippery, the blade isn't even bent by the head design. I generally like better balance, a thicker handle, substantial knurling. So this razor should be a poor match for me, but I absolutely love it!

2) Futur. Looks overly large and unwieldy, head is way too big, again slick-looking handle with no knurling. Shouldn't work. But it does, and quite nicely. Looks huge but feels smooth, no problems with grip, provides a comfortable shave for me.

Do you have any razors that you thought wouldn't work for you that surprised you in a positive way? Conversely, have you ever bought a razor that seemed like it would have everything you like and become a favorite, only to find out that it didn't work very well for you? I am interested to hear about the razors that surprised you or upended your expectations in some way.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Well the one that jumps out as a "I know I'm going to love this razor" but didn't/still haven't, is the Wunderbar. I like slants....I have a half-dozen different ones (brands, materials and methods of "slanting"), so I figured the Wunderbar would be my crowning jewel. I'm still working with it (going on a year and admittedly I'm not really spending a lot of time with it), but it feels heavy and always leave me with at least one weeper (if I'm lucky) and some irritation. Another one in this category is the Gillette New Improved....beautiful razor, lousy shaver (for me) -- I like the models that came before the NI and the ones that came after, but I have yet to make my peace with it.

The ones that have surprised me in a good way are usually the ones I chase down figuring they're over-hyped, but that I still want it in my collection. Then I manage to get it, and think...."man, this thing is AWESOME!"
That would be these: Gem Damaskeene Open Comb, Schick Type F, Gem Zinn Automatic (my avatar), Gillette and Rotbart RFBs, and the Gamechangers (.84 and .68). All but the GC were the result of a great deal of luck and patience, and I was convinced that "best case" they'd be okay shavers and "worst case" I'd be able to sell them and stay relatively whole....financially-speaking. Instead they were outstanding shavers (for me) and I couldn't imagine letting them go.

The one that I thought I'd try and release back into the "wild" immediately was the RazoRock V3 OC. It was my first attempt at trying the AC blade format and I was convinced I'd hate the format more than anything else. Instead, this razor gives me some of the closest and most comfortable shaves I have ever had. I was totally blown away, and I continue to have that experience every time I use it. I don't know if it's the razor or the blade format, but for now I'm calling myself lucky to have found my "perfect" AC razor and I'm not going down that "rabbit hole"....yet.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
A few razors that surprised myself was The Gem brand of razors(excellent SE blade system if you stick it out), Razorock SLOC and Mission. Schick injector E & M types and the Oneblade Core. Gillette New Long open comb is a excellent razor. Its to bad you have to go through a bunch of razors to find the ones that turn your crank.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The one that I thought I'd try and release back into the "wild" immediately was the RazoRock V3 OC. It was my first attempt at trying the AC blade format and I was convinced I'd hate the format more than anything else. Instead, this razor gives me some of the closest and most comfortable shaves I have ever had. I was totally blown away, and I continue to have that experience every time I use it. I don't know if it's the razor or the blade format, but for now I'm calling myself lucky to have found my "perfect" AC razor and I'm not going down that "rabbit hole"....yet.

riiiiiiiight.jpg

;)

That potatopeeler Broman for now being my daily driver and beating the others while flailing me first try..

qshave futul so cheap still so good!

gillette black beauty old but pretty and a very nice shave

oneblade core every time I shave brainless or have to shave with a nick or cut.

that oneblade genesis for its performance and finish But now expensive wallhanger did not see that coming... so it is going.

the focus dynamics for quirky smart design which works.

My grandfathers Gillette open comb single ring which looks beaten up but it such a good lawnmower.

that awfull paa allu slant which looked goegeous but it can allmost shave you without a blade....

gem damaskene and bullit tip simply superb performance, still they are going....

That m4 slim I stupidly bought on the bay and is unusable crooked.

the Parker adjustable for not surprising at all but doing what it does best shaving.

and maybe that tech I bought today for 15 euro shipping included.

Last edited:
The ENOCH razor by Occam's Razor. When I got it before using it, I thought it was poorly designed with bad quality control because the guard was slightly wavy and the baseplate was not completely flush when clamping. But wow 😮 the shave it delivers is excellent.

Rockwell 6S. Everyone raves about that thing, but the head is annoyingly bulky, and I didn't like any of the six gaps. I've been working my way through all the modern razors I can get my hands on, and have liked everything else I've tried better than the 6S.

For me the biggest surprise is the START razor set with .90Sb, .90Oc & 1.18Sb plates. I was skeptical at first but the razor is so smooth and efficient. A total delight and has given me smooth comfortable shaves with no irritation or weepers.

Last edited:
Muhle R41: from what i read it I thought it was going to be a blood bath, but had to try it.. found it to be reasonably smooth but with plenty of blade feel

DE89: my first razor and i thought it served its purpose then and only didnt get rid of it due to sentimental value of 'my first time'. Got it out couple of weeks ago in search of a mild shave and found that now along with better technique etc it actually shaved quite well and much better than it used to for me

WR2 1.25: i was expecting this to be good but never actually shaved with it.. what suprised me was how good the razor actually was, the king in my den for sure and the best combo of efficiency and smoothness i have experienced to date

Top Bottom